1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. nate10184

nate10184 Well-Known Member

I don't know about luxury but you should check out Sixt. Always seemed to me they had nicer cars than the American rental car companies. I rented from them when I was over in Germany and didn't have any problems.

2. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

I can afford a bit more if I need to, but I don't think there's really a need to spend more on a commuter car with so many nice used cars out there. Just becomes a balance of value, ease of maintenance, reliability, comfort, and fuel economy. I just like the e36 looks better, but an e46 would be cool too. Not really into the miata idea...

3. Dirty Gurty

Dirty Gurty Well-Known Member

I'm going to check out that 380SL I posted a few pages back today, if it checks out I'll be buying it!

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

New 911 turbo is out:

[​IMG]

from a design standpoint, the only thing that is really notable to me seems to be those two character lines in the front bumper that seem to suggest a longhood look. The front bumper on this 991 turbo is actually less aggressive looking than the standard 991 bumper IMO, and the usual Turbo happenings in the back are mostly predictable.

1 person likes this.
  5. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

^^^Looks good.

6. jet

jet Well-Known Member

never cared for the standard turbo what with all its mainstream appeal via pdk, all wheel drive, etc

7. col1

col1 New Member

Hi it's a 1.8 turbo edition although badged as 1.8 it's actually a detained 2.0. Compared to the 1.8 linear sport wagon we had its a much smoother more responsive car to drive, the good thing about this edition / trim was there was lots of standard equipment thrown at it:)

8. Crashblue

Crashblue New Member

@Horndog

1. As already mentioned, it is forbidden to take most luxury cars to eastern countries even regular Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche models aren´t allowed in those areas

2. One way rentals from Austria to Germany can get really pricy, you have to bring the car back to Austria yourself if you don´t want to spend a fortune

3. At least Sixt always has special offers like M3, M6 all year long etc.. At the moment they are offering Aston Martins in Munich (my office is next to a Sixt station and we share the same parking garage)

4. You can rent all BMW models (except Rolls Royce) in Munich directly from BMW Welt but it is rather expensive

I hope You already have a confirmed reservation for a tent they are all usually sold out around March.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  9. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Audi Driving Experience review:

R8 fucking rules. That is all.

1 person likes this.
  10. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

How does it compare to the 458?

11. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

It's not better :laugh: I do feel, however, that it's better than it's cousin the Gallardo

But I drove the R8 on the track and was only able to drive the Lambo and 458 on the road. Audi knows what they're doing here as I'm convinced that you will always like a sportscar better once you've driven it on a track.

I got overexcited with the R8 and drove it pretty sloppily for the first couple of laps but it covered up for my mistakes admirably. The Quattro on all the cars performed wonderfully as I could feel it helping me rotate the car in the sweeping corners and it digs fucking hard when you exit the corner, unwind the steering and just mash it

The S7 was my second favorite car with its ridiculous torque. S5 is nice but is clearly a step or two behind the M3. Absolutely hated the TT-S.

Only wish I could have driven the RS5 and TTRS, which might have given me a better impression of those two models

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Can't wait for my turn at Sonoma..

Also, went through two tanks of gas this weekend -- bitch be thirsty!!

Hroi, how much coaching / teaching is there at the event?

13. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Not much. They just let you enjoy the cars, although you'll have a go at a timed autocross lap. The track time is lead -follow stuff so you can't get in trouble. I couldn't really push as hard as I wanted to because I knew people would brake way too early and I'd end up stuffing one of the cars

You can ask for a bit of instruction between events but there's not much of an opportunity tbh. It's not a HPDE - more of an extended test drive

Although they were very complimentary of the Sonoma track, that's where they conduct their driving schools

14. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

I dont follow this thread very closely-- what are you driving Greenfrog?

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Gotcha. And how much drive time do you get per car? Do you get to spend equal amounts of time in each?

An E60 M5.

Averaging 9.5 MPG. LOL.

16. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

And you've been driving for six or seven years? :confused:

Almost three decades of driving and never even close.

18. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

Not trying to defend GF, I've never curbed a wheel either, but how often are you driving in areas where you have to parallel park, Pio?

Here in NYC I see curb rashed wheels everywhere I look :(

19. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Or in a car where curbing is possible ;)

20. pronxs

pronxs Well-Known Member

gonna rent a car in melbourne for a nice coast drive. any suggestions/tips?