1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

They still make/sell the Phaeton, everywhere except the USA. The USA has a car market full of a) people who make irrational automobile choices (hi Piobaire), and b) German/foreign makers have been allowed to dump their product on the market for a fraction of they normally sell for, even in their home country. None of it makes sense. When automakers do attempt to make sense of it and make stuff expressly for Americans, things like the Honda Crosstour are created.

1 person likes this.
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Do you actually own or lease a car? And all my choices are highly rational for me and my lifestyle.

3. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Bang.

In Germany the car is heralded. I bought an A8 because of the Phaeton. Buyers even go to the specialized factory to see it roll off, like a badge of honor. Its meta. They get what they are getting. In the US, land of idiots, they don't even sell it anymore.

Seriously, if the low cash players in this thread want a rare example of excellence, get a Phaeton. I even once went up to a guy in a parking lot and said my piece. He understood. He laughed and said 'nobody understands what this car is'. It's the idiots lament. Find me a >20k car that is built like this:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  4. impolyt_one

Your lifestyle requires a $90,000 Mercedes flagship SUV, and a mini version of that for your wife? Come on man, this is begging for one of those Gene Wilder memes.

5. impolyt_one

I have no need for a car, unless a) it were a pleasure car (sports car or other enthusiast type vehicle) or b) it was a large car and came with a driver (to get me home after I drink at night, and to pick stuff up for me during the day) Eventually, I might get one or the other, the latter, probably.

6. Piobaire

Lulz. And any of our lifestyles requires the clothes we own, the food and wine we all consume on a regular basis, and a billion other things?

If I could get the same characteristics in some other vehicle coupled with the same dealership amenities and conveniences for 30k I would go for it. My position is such that having to put up with normal dealership service shit that I hear about and read about all the time would seriously impact my work day. Being able to seat four adults comfortably is also important in my vehicle. If I could drive a Ford Explorer and not ever have to enter the shithole that is a Ford dealership's service department and have a nice loaner waiting for me? I would certainly go for it.

Sadly, the fact of the matter is MSRP is a filter of sorts. While I would love to bank the difference I have decided I am willing to pay the price and want that filter to stay in place. If MB and other luxury makers so dilute their brands this filter is ineffective then I will just drive a Toyota 4-runner.

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

MB is great when I drop off my fiancé's car they always have a nearly new loaner car waiting. :slayer: I'm also in and out in 5 min.

You can find a thread here about custom made suits and shoes in the 5-10k range, a 90k car should not be considered unreasonable on this forum.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

Wasn't like that when I bought one back in 2005. MB of Tyson's Corner said "We have an Enterise car rental location on site". Of course this was after I took possession of the car. I have heard they have changed this policy since then but I drive something different

9. impolyt_one

It has little to do with the pricepoint, man - I mean you get asked this all the time, how often do you take your GL off road? You've talked before about getting a proper truck, why not get a proper truck and a real car? I think you could have reasonably great examples of each for a combined $90K sticker - and still get your premium maintenance when needed. The guys in MC apart from Foo are not trying to make one pair of shoes do everything, right?

It reeks of this, man:
    [​IMG]

10. Desi

Desi Well-Known Member

True. God I hate my friend for selling that c63.

11. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

Is it a G or a GL? 2 different beasts. G lost some of it's mystique and exclusivity when MB started bringing them to the States around 2000. Before then they were all grey market cars and cost big bucks to import

12. JuyLe

JuyLe Well-Known Member

I see dozens of Phaeton every day. First generation still looks good and sell for less than BMW E60s. I just would be worried about not being able to do anything myself on the car and have to go to the dealer very often. But if you can deal with that, it's a more rational choice than most if not all luxury saloon cars.

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

:crackup:

14. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

The Gelande actually is becoming a strange beast in these parts due to a very particular quirk. As the chassis and body of this car havent changed in 30 years, a lot of these are now being imported in full options and AMG packets, then transplanted onto a 30 year old chassis with the old bodywork over it, repainted and you've got a 'classic' car with all the amenities and the engine of a new one. Upside of this is that you dont have to pay road tax as its a classic, and can deduct the full car cost from your taxes (again, classic), effectively driving the car for the cost of a cup of coffee.

Regarding the Phaeton, now thats a stealth car.. Pity it weighs over 2 tonnes.

15. Cary Grant

Economies are getting funny when people go to these lengths...

16. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I can see it. When I lived overseas, cars were taxed to death. It would cost a fortune to run a G over there.

17. Piobaire

I never plan to take my GL off road and it's not really billed as a purpose built machine for that (although apparently it is fairly capable). I do have harsh weather conditions where I live though and appreciate the 4matic, ground clearance, and general tank like nature of the machine. However, your argument is moving around. Now you are telling me I'm not making a "rationale" choice because I have a vehicle that does everything I want it to in regards to luxury, cachet, service, and driveability? You are getting into a position that's harder and harder to defend.

Also, just to examine your claim, a nicely loaded Tundra is about 55k. What full size luxury sedan am I getting getting for 45k? Lastly, MB was giving away the 2012 GLs and my sale price was around 64k on a 75k MSRP. I like to think I make very rationale pricing choices.

Toyota has "premium maintenance" now? It sure as hell did not 12 or 13 years ago when I was driving the first generation Tundra.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  18. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

Yup, think some 2K in road tax, and 9$ a gallon to fill it up. Then there would be the insurance, which is another 2K.

Basically the 'classic' amg hybrid I mentioned earlier saves a cool 4K a year in road tax, and insurance. If you buy it with your own company, you can deduct a lot of the costs of buying it in full from your taxes, which can only be done with cars that are 1/3 or more? over 25 years old.

not to mention the 'bpm' tax we get on new cars here, which is 27% for any of the cars we discuss here, excluding the prius. Which makes second hand cars a lot more interesting, most people I know that get new cars get them from a company lease.

In short, us Dutch will go through great lengths to decrease the costs of owning and operating a car, as it can easily become a sizeable chunk of your income.

19. Cary Grant

Then again, if you can afford a new GL and an old frame and the labor to do that... Saving a few grand is a lot less of an issue...

20. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

New G class, not GL.

And yep, total package would run up to about 60 to 70K if you import the newer one from spain or something like that. Then again, a new one costs somewhere around 200K euro. For full comparison, Piob's GL500 would run him a cool 137K euro, so thats 175K in usd.....

Our government really dislikes cars :(