1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

NORE got banned for spewing homophobic remarks -- in DT, nonetheless.

His sock accounts are goin' buck wild!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  3. mike1445

mike1445 Well-Known Member

4. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Washing the bavarian bread van.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. rocks

rocks Well-Known Member

Bread Van lol, haven't heard that term since I left the Islands.....:D

6. JuyLe

JuyLe Well-Known Member

I'd love to have one of those with the S54 engine in it.

7. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

borrowed my mom's Mini Cooper S last week. it's a fun little car...excellent visibility and really short overhangs make the car really nimble and i felt like i could squeeze the thing into the tightest little spots

although coming from my powerful NA cars the supercharger lag + lag from the auto tranny kicking down was pretty disconcerting. but it's a super fun little car otherwise and definitely my choice if i lived in a city like New York or London

8. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Thoughts?

I have been looking for a 2nd hand SUV. Don't want to spend much, its a second car mainly to move furniture and large items, to use when my main driver is being serviced, need to get 7 in a car. I don't expect to drive it more than 2000 miles in a year.

I've been looking for a Tahoe, Denali, etc. Something American and fairly cheap to maintain. $6-8k budget.

I came across a couple of Range Rovers. Nightmare gas mileage but I don't care much because I won't use it alot. I've gotten the impression they are a maintenance nightmare, is this true? I'm looking at ones around '04.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

I've never driven a Mini before, but the people I know who appreciate cars and have driven them before have only had positive things to say regarding its handling. Apparently it feels like a go-kart.

Also, a car in NYC? You smokin' crack, bruh?!

Something inside my gut tells me that if you spend $6-8K on a used RR, you're probably gonna have a bad time.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

You said American but then seem to be considering Range Rover. Why not something like an 04/05 Nissan Armada? They are roomy, reliable and pretty cheap now

11. JuyLe

JuyLe Well-Known Member

Minis are really fun to drive. The Diesels are a bit underpowered but are still good, haven't tried the SD yet. Petrol feels like a go kart, although when you go check the facts, you realize it does the 0-100kmh in only 9 seconds. It really feels like 6.5 or 7 in a bigger car. Cooper S is amazing, but having tried it once quite a while ago, I couldn't really use the potential of the car in town, felt like buying it, insuring it and servicing it (same inline 4, peugeot-citroen and bmw developed engine but with a turbo) would be less easy than on the petrol version.

Problem is, no engine version will make the car more at ease outside town. I haven't tried the Countryman, but it looks stupid and has the same kind of engines...

12. JuyLe

JuyLe Well-Known Member

doublepost

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  13. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble finding something American in that range, seems like RR can be had pretty cheap. Just trying to understand if its bc of maintenance or gas mileage

Will look into the armada

Any other suggestions?

14. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

Ford Expedition? They get poor gas mileage but you're not planning on going cross country, have 3 row seating, 4x4, v8 power etc. Eddie Bauer Editions can be had with reasonable mileage in the sub $10k range for a 2004-2006.

Maintenance should be pretty damn inexpensive too, other than MASSIVE tires.

15. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

You do not buy vehicles like an RR. You lease them and toss the keys back prior to the warranty expiring. This has worked well for me over many years and vehicles.

17. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I keep reading about spark plugs blowing out of the block.

The one I mentioned had hefty miles. They seem to be pretty cheap to maintain in England, I guess that goes to show you.

18. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

Was only a problem in the 97-03 5.4L engines. It was corrected in the 04 and on with more threading machined into the head.

Seems to have been resolved on the Ford 4.6L from 2007 (but this was dropped as an engine option from the 2005 and on).

Checking the torque on the existing spark plugs at every oil change is a good preventative measure that seems to do the trick as well.

I'm liking the Nissan Armada suggestion as well. Tough finding anything decent in your price range though...assuming you don't want something with 150K miles or more.

19. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member