1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

Did anyone see that news article recently about the woman who backed over her own daughter? The accompanying pic was of the mom and some new ribbon for 'not running over your own kids' awareness, on the back window of her Escalade. Is it Darwin, or God just fucking with Americans?

1 person likes this.
  2. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

I know you guys get some bus sized mini vans we don't have, but I was looking at cars with a mate who just got twins and the biggest boot we were able to find was RR, RRS, GL, Landcruiser and Ford S-Max all at around 1000 L. The only thing that came close was the E Wagon with 700 L, the rest even X5 etc. were in the 5's, if you want a bigger boot and more space you are looking at one of these.

[​IMG]

(No one buys Escalades etc. here, as they are too big and the fuel economy stinks)

It's the new way of doing things see Michael Wick (dog fighting = Peta spokes person) and italian footballer Mario Balotellii lit fireworks in his bathroom and almost burnt his house down, the next spokes person for fire works safety. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  3. Dean Keaton

Dean Keaton Well-Known Member

My dad just changed the old one (exact same engine) for the new one and there is a hell of a difference. Literally almost everything looks and feels better. He's got the 3 liter 313 hp petrol one, and it feels really quick for such a big, heavy car.

4. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

sure, for double the cost of a minivan just so you can feel like the big cock on campus

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

no big engine all road in the us :(

6. JuyLe

JuyLe Well-Known Member

some are going to be sad seeing this
    [​IMG]

7. impolyt_one

Is that Kobe's, or Kanye's?

8. JuyLe

JuyLe Well-Known Member

some 79 year old from ... you guessed it ... Florida :/

9. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

The D2 is a great car from what I've heard, and I'm sure the S8 ices the cake. Just remember that actually working on a relatively modern car, especially a German luxury car, is a lot harder than what many of us did as kids with our parent's cars. You can't just replace a lighting or mirror module if it's faulty. You have to replace it, then code it. That coding might or might not be tricky and at the least, you're buying the module, the cable and spending a few hours on the internet trying to figure out how to do it. That's a very simple electronics example. It can get easily out of hand when you're getting into things that are cheap part cost wise but expensive electrically like valve timing solenoids.

I'm a BMW guy, but even then I'd really hesitate to get one out of warranty unless it was fairly historically significant like an E30 M3 or 2002.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

An RRS is no bigger than an X5 in cargo capacity and a RR and Escalade have almost the exact same wheelbase. Gas mileage in the Escalade is going to be about equal to RR and RRS. The GL will have slightly better mileage but not that much better.

11. impolyt_one

And each and every one of them are crap vehicles that will end up in a scrapyard somewhere in 15 years, rather than being preservable cars of good taste that people will want to continue to run.

12. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  13. Piobaire

Now that's a good reason not to get one. Also, when you need service, you'll have to associate with the douches and chunky 30-50 year old women with Anglo fat-wife arms in sleeveless shirts that tend to drive them.

14. Beckwith

Beckwith Well-Known Member

PIob,

Did I post my profile pic?

15. Piobaire

:laugh:

You don't drive a 'Slade though. :cheers:

16. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

It's hard to argue for the significance of a current car some years down the line or factor it into your purchase decision. Sometimes they're irrational and sometimes it happens through luck. Very rarely in my lifetime has a car come out where it was just about universally known that it would be a once in a generation collectible. That was with the McLaren F1. Lots of cars people think are special now, the E39 M5 as an example, didn't garner unconditional love in the community until years afterwards.

I hope that's a joke. :embar:

17. herragge

herragge Well-Known Member

I normally tend to agree with this. Old Audi's are bad Audi's.

However it seems like you know what you're getting into so I wouldn't hesitate in your case to step into a D2. The S8 is a great car and will be enjoyable. The elements are quite removed from such a large and luxury car like that.

18. JuyLe

JuyLe Well-Known Member

sorry to interrupt. spotted this car in Hamburg last time:
    [​IMG]

19. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I have literally never seen an S8 on the road. Saw a couple at a dealership and I think The Transporter was driving one. I've seen more LF-A's on the mean streets than S8's

20. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

That is very incorrect RRS has a 958 liters boot and a X5 has 620 liters, so that is almost 30% less/more how ever way you look at it, an E wagon has a bigger boot than the X5 (695 liters).

The new range rover diesels do about 13km/l and the petrol does about 11km/l an escalade does less than 9 km/l, also according to cadillac europe an escalade only holds 478 liters behind the 2nd row of seats and the RR holds 909 liters.