1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. deepitm

deepitm Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that if you have decent car insurance then generally you are covered when you rent a car and you don't need additional coverage. Can anyone weigh in here? I always waive insurance but I have decent coverage, a big umbrella, and AAA to boot. I've never actually reviewed my policy, tho.

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Yes your car insurance should extend to a rental. I'd just make sure your limits cover a vehicle of this price.

3. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

some of us don't have car insurance.

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
  5. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

If you are going to count on your car insurance know if there are any exclusions though. Also, ditto with AMEX as I'm pretty sure it explicitly excludes things like high sports cars and I'm pretty sure SUVs on a categorical basis. Sometimes just get the most piece of mind from buying insurance you know will cover things.

6. herragge

herragge Well-Known Member

I agree with Pio. Sunroofs are completely different than a drop top. A bit too much given up in terms of handling and not as much gained in terms of experience. But most don't care/are ignorant to this anyways.

I am sorry, but this is just incorrect. Cold air will not influence your exhaust note no matter how hard you think it gains you 50 extra horsepower. If you add a cold air intake and a K&N intake sticker though, I hear those add about 50hp on the butt dyno.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-maint...-air-intake-system-improve-engine-performance

-----------

Audi has a new moby dick themed commercial, does that make it audi dick? :hide:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

You are incorrect. Cold air is denser and a CAI will give your engine a very marginal boost in power -- around 1-2 horsepower. All this DOES affect your exhaust note.

9. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Variances in ambient temp make huge differences in power, my car feels like its on steroids in these low 50 degree temps.

10. GreenFrog

Absolutely. Only an idiot wouldn't be able to pick up on the increased power and louder exhaust. It's very noticeable. I also have a CAI so that helps a lot when it comes to improved airflow.

^ You still driving the e46 m3?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  11. Piobaire

Funny this should come up. Was noticing how the MB was even more responsive than normal and was mentioning to Mrs. Piob how it's even more noticeable on a motorcycle. I used to love the cool fall weather when I was growing up and the bike really just purred.

12. GreenFrog

I'm curious to hear yours guys' takes on exhausts -- which of the following sounds the best to you? These are all M3s. I recommend headphones if you have any.

Meisterschaft GT2

Akrapovic

BMW Performance exhaust

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  13. pronxs

pronxs Well-Known Member

14. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

fwiw the RR Evoque looks stupid as hell, it's small and cheap looking. To add insult to injury, the 'coupe' is more expensive than the 4 dr, but in this case the 'coupe' really does nothing for the design.

On the other hand, saw a CLS63 Shooting Brake, it's seriously one of the coolest cars out right now. I even normally loathe matte/satin paint jobs, but I can get down with the flat gunmetal they have for that car.

15. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

The Meisterschaft is louder, which is what most "modders" mean by 'sounds better'. But I prefer the note of the Akrapovic. The Akra also has the SF cred of being more expensive and made of exotic materials (titanium)

16. herragge

herragge Well-Known Member

I never said that cold air won't increase performance. This is indeed a fact. I said that cold air won't change your exhaust note. Check out Eisenmann for a great sounding exhaust. I have one on my MCoupe.

17. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Cars always seem to run better at night too.

#1 as long as its no louder than the original. I'm not that loud phony race car sound.

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

I would go OEM upgrade aka. No. 3.

19. Piobaire

I'm sort of liking it. Fit and finish is just fine; nothing "cheap" looking about it. The back window and the tiny turbo would be my sticking points.

20. GreenFrog

I've never heard the meisterschaft in person and it sounds like it'd be really, really loud, but I like it the best from this bunch.

Regarding titanium exhausts, I've never really enjoyed the note they produce. They sound ever-so-slightly tinny to my ears. It definitely is a very nice exhaust system though.

Cold air for sure changes the exhaust note, but not dramatically. It changes it enough for me to pick up the difference -- like it just passes the barely noticeable threshold. We can argue this all day and night, so agree to disagree. FWIW, I'm talking about the difference between 75 degree weather and 30 degree weather.

Do you have an e92 m3?

Imagine driving your car through Texas 100+ degree summers. I feel bad for mine.

#1 is my favorite, too. It is very much so louder than the OEM exhaust, as are the other two that I posted. But it's definitely the loudest out of the bunch.

Nice. That's my second favorite. Probably the exhaust I'd go for if I were older and more mature :p

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012