1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Gordon Murray is a genius.

1 person likes this.
  2. smashwindow

smashwindow Well-Known Member

Someone had asked a question about RR reliability. First one I owned was a nightmare, piston head replacement, eas replacement, so many things I can't remember, lived in the shop. That being said I was hit from behind on I-25 by a tacoma at about 50 mph, my car hit the car in front of me a Montero, which hit the car in front of it. My car was the only one that drove away, it was still written off because the bodywork would have cost more than the car was worth in the books, although with the work put in and the condition it was worth easily twice bluebook value. My 2002 has been great, eas replacement is kind of a given with cars getting to 10 years old, other than that just usual RR stuff, leaky gaskets, crappy nav system. I did have some vibration issues after the lift but thats my fault and was fixed with custom double cardom prop shafts (tom woods) Has never broken down on trail. I've heard nightmare stories of pre 2000 p38s though thats the year when all the electronics were switched over to bosch. I looked at 15 trucks before buying the one I wanted, most others were in shitty condition in and out even with less mileage. You can check dip sticks kick tires and whatnot but nothing tells more than actually driving the car. Some you could really feel the horses that escaped them over the years. Don't buy a 4.0, my 4.6 feels underpowered as is. I bought it from a guy that owned 6 cars and babied them, all work done at the dealership etc. Newer models are quite good, but I think they're too blobby. The all new 2013 RR takes more cues from the p38 than the L332. If you can find a pristine classic swb (don't get a lwb the proportions are hideous) preferably a 95' that was the last year they made them and also the only year with an updated interior and electrics, buy that thing it will always be a classic, and they're getting hard to find. If you can't find a 95 at least get one with the 3.7 L engine the 3.5 was crap. Looking at bluebooks prices are starting to increase after 17 years of falling, soon to be a full on classic.

1 person likes this.
  3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

The S1 RR is a classic already, for sure - but it's still so scary to even think of buying one. Everybody wants a RR but so few would be able to keep their sanity I think. Anybody I know with a RR says they wish somebody would come set it on fire, because the insurance payout would be more than whatever shop bill they have on it already.

4. mike1445

mike1445 Well-Known Member

the darker wheels can look good here and there but they really caught on and , not a fan of chrome personlly i think id only ever go with a bright silver/brushed.

i feel like Audi always got a really enthusiastic response to the S/RS4 and S/RS6 avants but sales could never warranted huge production. Responding to that enthusiasm for that kind of low production, high performance with the Porsche brand seems like a perfect next step, pretty smart move IMHO

5. Stugotes

Stugotes Well-Known Member

As for the RS', I only seem to see the Avant versions, not the saloon. Could be because I'm in Europe, though, where wagons are way more popular than saloons. And if I'm not mistaken the RS' are not sold in NA anyway, right? All that would contradict you feeling, but I could be mistaken, of course.

6. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just saw this. I don't understand how anybody can think this looks good

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

GreenFrog would like it.

8. mike1445

yeah that comment was a US perspective, maybe instead of "never warrant huge production" i should say "never warranted large US distribution". The US gets the RS' a bit later than over there if at all and definitely in fewer numbers. The RS5 or TTRS are the only newer ones I've seen in my area, not so much all sedans or avants. [​IMG]

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. JuyLe

JuyLe Well-Known Member

If it's a track car then I guess style wasn't exactly the ultimate goal. still looks ugly.

11. Beckwith

Beckwith Well-Known Member

I saw a similar one the other day. There must have be a track series somewhere locally as it also had NY plates. On my way to work today I saw a Continental GT, Flying spur and a Drophead Coupe. I also saw a SLS yesterday, that car just looks better and better every time is see it.

12. xpress

xpress Well-Known Member

^^^ Pretty obvious that it's a track car.
    Actually looks decent, considering.

13. jet

jet Well-Known Member

lol @ thinking street car

14. djh

djh Well-Known Member

Yes but this wagon is ugly and unbalanced. The sedan version of that A8 is so good.

Not sure how I feel about chrome wheels. My favorite wheel finish:
    [​IMG]

15. Desi

Desi Well-Known Member

Need those spokes for my car.

16. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Ugh, why don't they bring this S3 to the US?
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

i tuned my a3 3.2 s-line and it had about the same output and a not dissimilar experience to the hatch s3 (hp/torque not wildy different). there is talk of the s3 sedan making it's way here in 2014 but don't expect more than a 270 4 banger. in 2014 allegedly, the s4/s5 losing 2 cylinders and gaining more titanium.

18. mike1445

[​IMG]
    i want the A5 sportback, or any RS avant

19. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

I really hope they do not make the S5 a turboed I4.

And yeah, instead of the 3door A3/S3, they are bringing in an A3/S3 sedan. I just hope it looks better than the 1series sedan/coupe.

20. mike1445

theyre switching the Q5 to the 3.0T so my guess is theyd use that if its being used in more models elsewhere