1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

ok, Manton. :D

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

And it's more humid too.

3. mike1445

mike1445 Well-Known Member

I meant to say isnt 120mph the cruising speed, as in the slowest youd want to go. i think it jsut varies so much between what car a person has and how comfortable they are with it. Autobahn speeds and American highway speeds are two very different animals. I think autobahn drivers laugh at the idea of cup holders in the car, while americans are weaving across lanes because theyre eating McD's, texting or some dumb shit to pass the time 'til they reach their destination.

Driving cross country thru Kansas where speed limits are bumped up just a bit to 75, drivers were a lot better about leaving the fast lane open. They were comfortable at 65 but knew others would do 85 and so they'd pass on the left then get over as opposed to out east here where everyone does 85 in whatever lane provides more open space in front of them.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  4. JuyLe

JuyLe Well-Known Member

same really. I once drove from Berlin to Frankfurt and on the quickest part the quickest cars were jetta/golf/passat tdi. it's different trom time, day of the week and roads I guess but it seems to me like the cars that wagon cars are the ones which their owner drive the quickest.

5. P-K-L

P-K-L Well-Known Member

These cars are often annoying - they feel like they are going really fast and would not even think about the fact that there are people who want to go faster than 220-230 kmph and thus block the road. They also often carry short-sleeved white shirts on plastic hangers with them :)

Also, there are way too many "teachers" and people full of social envy on the roads who make driving fast in Germany with a nice car less fun.

However once the autobahn is free to go it is big fun.

6. glundr

glundr Well-Known Member

though british, Mclaren's traditional colour is orange. Papaya Orange to be specific as that was Bruce Mclaren's colour he ran on his racing cars

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Black cars get dirty looking so damn quick, if we are talking McLearn I would go with dark grey or sapphire black.

Sounds like sales people.

8. JuyLe

JuyLe Well-Known Member

Exactly, like P-K-L said. It's the same in every country I guess, it's just that in Germany they speed legally. In my experience there is construction work every 30 minutes of driving anyway, but it does feel good to drive at the speed you want to drive without the knowledge that you could get caught and have to pay a big fine.

9. steak

steak New Member

i'm considering the same re: 318is, but can't seem to convince myself that a 15+ year old car is worth it considering i know f' all about cars. can't bring myself to buy something more 'economical' either, though.

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

Well, people drive fast everywhere - but people in America don't get any legitimate driver's training and start too early. That leads to a lot of bad driving and wild cards on the roads. Driving technique in America is directly a function of survival.

11. Stugotes

Stugotes Well-Known Member

No, sales people usually drive an A4 or A6 and are among the fastest and most aggressive drivers. Whenever I'm in the left lane and see an Audi in the mirror I go right immediately.

12. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

I am disappointed that the P1 does not have the F1's 1+2 seating arrangement. It's looking like yet another overpowered sports car that doesn't need to exist.

13. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

If that panamera concept gets produced, that may be my logical step up from the M3 sedan, if ever. Unless Nissan decides to make a 4-door GTR :devil:

14. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. glundr

glundr Well-Known Member

I agree. based on the mp4-12c though it should be very, very good. the F1 was meant to be the ultimate road car, no expenses spared, the pinnacle of automotive engineering. I would take a Mclaren F1 over any other supercar produced today or ever, including this new prototype.

1 person likes this.
  16. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

I don't know, McLaren have yet to put out an announcement or product that fails to meet expectations; I would be inclined to believe them when they say that the P1 will be the best car in production - period.

It's a high target but they're not exactly shy of engineering challenges; if they can make a Veyron beater then they may have a genuine succsessor to the F1.

17. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Me, too.

The MP4-12C was not universally acclaimed, and the Veyron is not a very high bar for best production car. I think it's a pretty stupid car in general, and Gordon Murray, the designer of the F1, seems to agree:

Full scans of the article:

(You may have to resize your window or open the images in a separate window to read it, as the forum software sometimes resizes things.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

picked up a 2010 s4 today...pics to come

19. habitant

habitant Well-Known Member

Was just at the M power tour... Fucking awesome.. got to drive all the m cars around the track for an afternoon.. favourite hands down is the m3.

though the m5 is scary fast.

20. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

I think it's kind of notable that some of the more forward-thinking cars showing in Paris right now are wearing chrome/polished wheels, whereas the sure production cars that are intended for imminent release are still wearing the usual black/gunmetal etc wheels. I am glad black and gunmetal are going by the wayside.

I wonder if Porsche is really going to go through on the wagon? Besides the show car stuff on it, the technology seems very current and feasible. The front clip shows like a Panamera facelift/2nd gen. Other makers in the past have shown random concept wagons at shows though, and then chickened out and just made a normal sedan from them instead. The previous generation A8 was shown as a wagon when it was a concept way back in like, 1999:

[​IMG]