1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. epb

epb Well-Known Member

Most likely a V12. [​IMG] For now, I'm content with 4 door boring looking luxo barges. [​IMG]

Not a fan - the Vantage V12 and R8 V10 are answers to questions nobody asked, and the hood vents on the Aston Martin really don't work for me.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Not a fan - the Vantage V12 and R8 V10 are answers to questions nobody asked, and the hood vents on the Aston Martin really don't work for me.
    Ever owned a -12?

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

That's completely false, one of the main complaints about the AMV8 was that it was underpowered.

4. Roikins

Roikins Well-Known Member

That's completely false, one of the main complaints about the AMV8 was that it was underpowered.
    Yep, complaints of both the R8 and AMV8 were they were underpowered with the V8, especially with their pricing. I think bigger engines in both make them perfect sport-luxury cars, although the increase in pricing for the larger engines pushes you into the range of even better cars.

5. epb

epb Well-Known Member

Yep, complaints of both the R8 and AMV8 were they were underpowered with the V8, especially with their pricing. I think bigger engines in both make them perfect sport-luxury cars, although the increase in pricing for the larger engines pushes you into the range of even better cars.

I don't recall any reviews complaining about the power in either when they were released, and what I've read about the R8 V10 in Car and Evo (or maybe Performance Car) is that the extra power doesn't add much. The V10 R8 really makes no sense when you can get a used Gallardo for less than a new R8 V8, much less the V10.

I've driven the V8 Vantage a few times and never found it wanting. I'll state for the record, I'm not a "horsepower for horsepower's sake" guy.

6. Roikins

I don't recall any reviews complaining about the power in either when they were released, and what I've read about the R8 V10 in Car and Evo (or maybe Performance Car) is that the extra power doesn't add much. The V10 R8 really makes no sense when you can get a used Gallardo for less than a new R8 V8, much less the V10.

I've driven the V8 Vantage a few times and never found it wanting. I'll state for the record, I'm not a "horsepower for horsepower's sake" guy.

There's a reason why a fair amount of AMV8 owners have been buying into the superchargers for the car. From a pricing perspective, both cars are underpowered when you look at the pricing segment they're in -- over 110k for both cars around the 400HP range, +/- 20HP with a weight disadvantage. The Vantage with the V12 and the R8 with the V12TDI make them both perfect.

7. CityConnection

CityConnection Well-Known Member

My new daily driver...
    It's all shoots and giggles.

[​IMG]

8. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

My new daily driver...
    It's all shoots and giggles.

[​IMG]

very cool

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I just bought a low-milage Bentley, off some poor loser that could no longer afford it.

10. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

I just bought a low-milage Bentley, off some poor loser that could no longer afford it.

carry on ... year? model? pics?

11. N.N.O.P

N.N.O.P Well-Known Member

this is my ride!! i've had her since 1983. i love her still.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

13. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

14. gomestar

15. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

You're wrong.

16. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

carry on ... year? model? pics?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. epb

epb Well-Known Member

You're wrong.

That seems unlikely, given my past record. [​IMG]

As someone pointed out above, viewed by their price placement in the horsepower wars, I can see where some... less sophisticated car enthusiasts might think they're underpowered, as they tend to think dollars = horses. The most frequent comparison they throw out is the Corvette formula ("For that much money, you coulda got X Corvettes!").

Far more people will pay a premium for more horsepower than will ever need it/be able to use it, and more power to them. That doesn't mean the cars wer8-cylinder cars aren't fine as-is.

18. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

-12s have a smoothness all their own, horsepower aside, when given an option, I'd prefer a -12.

19. Roikins

That seems unlikely, given my past record. [​IMG] As someone pointed out above, viewed by their price placement in the horsepower wars, I can see where some... less sophisticated car enthusiasts might think they're underpowered, as they tend to think dollars = horses. The most frequent comparison they throw out is the Corvette formula ("For that much money, you coulda got X Corvettes!"). Far more people will pay a premium for more horsepower than will ever need it/be able to use it, and more power to them. That doesn't mean the cars wer8-cylinder cars aren't fine as-is.
    Yes, less sophisticated ones... or ones that actually like to use cars at tracks. What kind of car enthusiast wouldn't want a car with more power? Let's see, a V8 R8 with 420HP at $115k can tackle the Ring at ~8:04, but a new V8 M3 with 415HP at $60k can do it in 8:05. An Audi V10 R8 with 520HP priced at $150k does the lap in 7:44. Sorry, but based on those V8 numbers, the R8 definitely benefits from the V10's increased HP; I'm thinking I would have more fun tossing the V10 around Laguna Seca any day of the week than the V8 version.

20. gomestar

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

i am not all SF happenings knowing!

on topic, back when I had a car, it was an Infiniti FX-35