1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

So... Um... My car runs now...

1 person likes this.
  2. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

The police stopped by to verify my parking spot. and later today i get a temporary license plate rental. inching closer to daily driving the new car. [​IMG]

nice work @ridethecliche . taken it out for a drive?

3. ridethecliche

Yessir.

I think there's an issue in the firmware because lifting off the throttle at any RPM makes the car jump up to 3k rpm before coming back down to idle. It made for a pretty interesting drive, but I just held the clutch in or used it as engine braking. I'm getting in contact with the folks that program the ECU to see if the next firmware update (in beta) fixes things.

As a side note this is what I have done since I last drove the car: roll bar, different seats, front and rear sway, adjustable endlinks, and ecu... The steering feel is totally different. It's pretty bizarre. I can't wait to have the weird idle-ish issue fixed so I can do a late night run of some of the roads around here. The roads are nice and curvy with good visibility. Fun to drive when you're not getting stuck behind traffic all the time since they're all one lane roads. Pretty zen, even at responsible speeds.

1 person likes this.
  4. Thrift Vader

5. ridethecliche

Nice! What did it need to get it there?

Thrift Vader likes this.
  6. Thrift Vader

Honestly? it only needed the HID bulbs replaced for the low beams replaced. and the high beams professionally adjusted. oh, and an indicator bulb.

really, 30 mins of messing with light bulbs.
    the car has dings and scratches. but it's a well made unit.
    (haha, the speedo and tach stopped working. slapped it like an old TV. - back in action)

but the on road experience? OMG it's a strange feeling. the quietest car i have ever sat in. wife asked me if the car was "on". The air suspension is divine.
    This thing is a boat. a big boat.
    filled with luxury stuff like a 6-stack cd in the dashboard, touch screen navi that can do television, nakamichi sound. dual zone climate control,electronic seat and seatbelt adjustments,4 cup holders,2 usb ports,lights in the vanity mirrors, lights in the seatbelt buckles,rear parking sensors,and a quad cam V8 1uzfe with vvti, backed by a 5spd auto. - all of this in a car for $1,000!!!!

i'm hooked. totally get the "Douchemobile" thing now.

just need to make it look as good as it drives. ;)

ridethecliche, Piobaire and jcman311 like this.
  7. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

Air suspension is pretty sweet. Back in the day I drove my grandpas old 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis. The air suspension went out and I ended up basically replacing everything for under $750. That car floated like a cloud. I still miss that car sometimes.

Thrift Vader likes this.
  8. ridethecliche

Car is running well enough that I drove it around town with my gf yesterday without my computer plugged in.

Only issue was with hot restarts and then the car tried to start stalling at every stop on the last leg home.

Washed the car and used a headlight buff kit with my drill which was helpful. Need to do a bit more today since I ran out of buffing compound. Might spray some clear coat over it and sand and buff that as well to make sure they don't yellow. I'll likely do the daily as well.

I really want better headlights in this car. Unfortunately the best option is to do a retrofit with projectors. The other option is to get headlights and a bumper from a 2001+ miata. Need to get both because the newer headlights leave a gap on the old style bumper making it only a 10 ft solution. I think the retrofits are brighter anyway. I wish I could just throw hids in there but I don't want to blind every oncoming car, though they do that to me all the time just because of the height differential haha.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 6:02 AM
  9. Thrift Vader

why not clean up what you got. and stick some 6,500k bulbs in there? i got 3 sets of bulbs floating around if you want some. H4 right?

and i got a method for old headlights if you are keen to see if you get results. ;)

10. ridethecliche

Ran outta polishing compound but I'm almost there!

Gonna spray clear coat over them when they're fully done and then buff that out to keep them shinyyyy.

[​IMG]

The bulbs are H4/9003. The issue is that they're not projectors so putting in HIDs doesn't really work well. Right?