1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I don't think that's entirely true. I've seen quite a few cars like that, but they were all unmodified or modified and tuned by folks that knew what they were doing.

Again, operator error has a lot to do with it, ya know?

2 people like this.
  2. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Where is the Topic taken to? Is it now a private message?

Anyway, nice addition. Very detailed miniature. If they don't need to be as colorful and detailed, and if available overseas...Hotwheels currently makes a racing version of 2 iconic BMW's of the 1970s, the 2002 and the 3.0CSL. My wife picked them up for me a few days ago while doing some grocery shopping. Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  3. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

is that the green one? looked at it, have you seen the Hotwheels Alfa Giulia?

we took the Evo Vs Subie Banter to PM. figured it would clog up the thread.

in short? both are great, but 90% of each car belong to a fool who breaks it. and you guys didnt' get the good Subaru's. so his best option is an Evo.

1 person likes this.
  4. Thrift Vader

awesome she picked them up for you. she's a good one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. yorkshire pud

yorkshire pud Well-Known Member

Ferrari Rally Car, nice choice :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Dino944

+1

I have the green one, but Mrs. Dino found it in white. They usually offer them in a few colors over the course of a few years. I think I already have the Alfa Guila.
    Here is what she brought home the other day (there is a recent M4 , Porsche GT3, Porsche Carrera GT, McLaren P1 and a few others).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Yes, I figured she was a keeper when we found a house that wasn't completed but was designed to have a 2 car garage, and she asked the builder what it would take have a 3 car garage. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Has anyone here successfully gone back to a car after years in SUVs and trucks? God, cannot stand the lack of visibility and my head being at bumper height to so many vehicles.

8. Thrift Vader

@Dino944 winning in life right there.

1 person likes this.
  9. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

It's great - lower center of gravity, much more fun driving experience. You get used to not being able to see over the peasants eventually

1 person likes this.
  10. Thrift Vader

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Not want I want in a daily. Weekend vehicle? Sure. Driving to work with a 40 mile round trip? Not so much.

This C at 50 feels less stable and relaxed than my DM at 100.

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I think it is a nice change to go from car to SUV to car. Picked up my Outback from the repair shop today and it makes me miss the ride height of the shitbox rental. Good thing the wife has the E350 so I drive it on the weekends.

13. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I dunno...my dad used to eschew his SUV for my mom's Golf for road trips.

Of course his SUV is more truck like rather than being a lifted minivan with hinged doors...so the car probably nets a more comfortable ride and a significant reduction in gas usage (even if you put a windsurfer and bicycle on the roof racks). And I suppose his SUV only has the 40% rear seat installed...but we are a family of 3.

He's trying to figure out if he can go smaller on the next vehicle. He no longer needs to be able to tow a keelboat...only has to be able to either cartop a small boat, or tow it on a tiny trailer that a miata could handle.
    Only constraint is that he wants to be able to sleep in it. Right now, he can place a twin size futon where the 60% seat goes (they used to tow the boat nonstop to regattas with 2 people up front and the 3rd guy rolling down the highway in bed in back). That's getting harder and harder to do as the compact SUV takes over. They don't have the length for a tall guy to stretch out, and small wagony cars often have similar issues.

Other option is to say fuck it and get the cargo van. A big sprinter can store the boat and gear internally, have a bed, and still have a second row of usable seats:
    [​IMG]

That's probably a bit extreme though....a smaller size one can still fit the boat in on its side. Anywhere you would be going to race will have showers and food, so you really just need somewhere to sleep.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  14. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

i agree it's a big difference between unibody and body-on-frame. even within body-on-frame there is a big difference between solid front axle and IFS. we had a truck and a car for a long time and it was a lot more than the height difference but personally it never bothered me to switch between the two.

15. gong

gong Well-Known Member

Yes and No. i know of a local here in the Subaru groups who went through 3 motors, including a ej207. tuned by Matt Miner. ill leave this discussion at that.

16. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I haven't been in a WRX or Evo manufactured after 2008. Are they still the same or have they grown soft and fat like all the other cars ?

17. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I'm inching closer to an m4 these days. It's grown on me except for the shitty sounding exhaust but 550hp.

Some jrzs and bbs until maybe next gen gt3.

18. gong

gong Well-Known Member

WRX/STi have gone through two cycles in that time, the Evo remained the same from 2008 until it's death in 2015.

19. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

It's too bad ramu's not around anymore to have hysterical disagreements with regarding the M4, but I'm not in favor of this option. Just order the 991.2 GT3 or grab a preowned GT4 from those crazy SoCal owners that bubblewrap their cars and not drive them

1 person likes this.
  20. Dino944

A buddy of mine drives a huge pick up as a daily driver in winter months or if he needs it for work, but drives a Porsche 991S Cabrio as a nearly daily driver in the spring/summer months. He says need needs the pick up for work related things, but loves driving his 911.

Another friend of mine drives a big Chevy Suburban for really bad weather, yard projects, or hauling the family, but he daily drives a 2002 Porsche 996 Turbo all year round (even in modest amounts of snow...to date he has put 450,000 miles on the car).

I'm guessing your SUV is far heavier than the C300. In addition, your SUV probably has a V8, while the C300 has to make do with a turbo 4 producing less than 250 hp.

I'd imagine if you were truly smitten with that Vette you drove, and got one for weekends, 100 would be absolutely nothing for it, and with its lower center of gravity it would easily feel as stable or better than your SUV at that speed.