1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

Always loved the Digital Dash in the 80's Toyota Soarer. Reminds me of old Arcade games.
    [​IMG]
    The styling has held up well too.
    [​IMG]

In the Star Wars glory era, these things must have been epic. And still are. :nodding:
    -Saw one in a dealers holding yard. 2 tone beige and gold. Brown Velour interior. MINT condition. Complete with Soarer logo'd optional old man style Lace half seat covers. The level of Want was amazing. . :drool:

@Dino. That Lotus Esprit looks super nice. Think they still look as good now as they did when new. Imho.
    -Unlike the reventon. Which looks like an MR2 with a Diy body kit made from cardboard boxes and sticky tape.

Would take an 80's soarer over a Lambo 7 days a week.

Thanks for showing a bit of your scene. And describing it for us. Your car scene seems like a cool group of people.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    3 people like this.
  2. SirReveller

SirReveller Well-Known Member

This cheesy truck intrigues me..

3. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Wow, that digital dash is pretty crazy for back then! I agree, it reminds me of some of the arcade games I used to play as a kid.

Yes, that guy's Esprit is in really nice shape. IMHO, its definitely a design that turns heads and is looks as good today as when they were first released. The owner a service manager at a Chevy dealer, and he owns that Esprit S4, a 1950s Chevy hotrod, and a heavily modded 350Z convertible. He does most of the work on his cars, and he and is wife are super nice down to earth people.

Actually we are quite lucky to have a really good crew of regular attendees for our Sunday meets. None of them are snobby and its fun to have a cross section of different types of cars. In addition, its nice to have a group that is small enough that we all know each other quite well. 10 years ago there was really no car scene in our area. One had to go to a specific car club event or to a big city for a car event, so its very rewarding to get emails from people asking to be added to our event reminder list or for regular crew members to email and ask when our first meet after the winter will begin.

1 person likes this.
  4. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

neat! looks like one of those 'love tester' arcade machines you'd see in dive bars in the 90s.

put your hands on the wheel and - whoops! - 'cold fish'...

1 person likes this.
  5. SirReveller

6. Great Dane

Great Dane New Member

2013 Merc C63 AMG
    2014 Merc E350 Convertible
    2015 Audi Q5 (the wife's)

7. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

8. SirReveller

Well dedicated RWD as of days of bimmer lore would be best but I was trying to think positively and am currently staring at snow.

9. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

Buy a Subaru. :p

2 people like this.
  10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

My miata doesn't have ABS which I didn't care about until I started reading more about how aftermarket ECU's can engage traction control and launch control using the ABS modules. Now I really wish I had it.

Too bad trying to put ABS into a car that doesn't have it is an absolutely huge pain in the ass.

11. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

It's 45 degrees here and supposed to hit 65 tomorrow

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  12. ridethecliche

I have winter tires for my subie. Makes the snow much more fun.

That said, I was driving in freezing rain the other day and almost nailed a car in front of me during a stop because they left a lot of room ahead of them and my ABS started freaking out as the wheels just kept locking. Managed to barely miss a car on a right as I swerved to avoid the car. It was terrifying.

I was sliding a whole lot and my tread is solid. Freezing rain is awful.

13. Dino944

Are you saying the car ahead of you just left a lot of room between them and the next car, or are you saying they stopped short? I often leave a good amount of room between myself and the next guy ahead of me, in the event someone isn't paying attention and it doesn't look like they can/will stop in time, so that I can either move up if I have to, or I have room to maneuver out of the way if I have to. If everyone stops really close together, and someone hits a car hard that is even 2 or 3 cars behind you, the cars can act like billiard balls and all hit each other (and you) if they are close together.

Freezing rain reduces traction and lengthen's stopping distances, regardless of what tires you are running or the tread. Best thing is always to drive much slower when our lovely New England weather sucks.

14. ridethecliche

The car in front of me stopped way short of the car ahead of it.

I think I hit a patch of black ice or something as well because ABS was freaking out a bit as well. Luckily crisis averted, but I'd 100% rather drive in a snowstorm than anything resembling sleet... Definitely not something I want to do again. Luckily I had room on the right and the driver was paying attention. I think I checked to make sure I had room, but it was much more of an instinctual reaction than anything else. It was damn lucky though.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  15. jet

jet Well-Known Member

How does the car being stopped with a gap affect your ability to stop your car?

16. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

^^^ because you have a lot less runway than you would reasonably expect.

one time the wife and i were driving north from LA in the spring when a freak squall hit the Tejon pass. (if you've never driven southern cali it's where you descend from the mountains east of LA into the central valley at sea level). anyways middle of the morning and it's fully snowing and raining ice at a time and place where that never ever ever happens. i wasn't driving (she was) and a full road of cars flying down this grade at 85 mph. pretty white knuckle but she did a great job.

17. ridethecliche

Yeah, just an unexpectedly short amount of runway. I usually ease into braking in those situations, but using it as an on switch and letting ABS do it's job would have worked better. I have a feeling that the person in front of me wasn't paying attention as traffic in front of them had started moving but they hadn't even started rolling yet.

Shit happens, crisis averted, live and learn.

18. jet

jet Well-Known Member

So the car slammed on its brakes or was it already stopped with lots of space in front of it? Not sure I follow what happened.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  19. Dino944

Sounds like the car was already stopped since it sounds like he expected it to start moving again when he said, "I have a feeling that the person in front of me wasn't paying attention as traffic in front of them had started moving but they hadn't even started rolling yet."

20. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Car Musings:

-The Chevy Cruze rental I have since the Outback is in the shop is terrible though it has reminded me that I love sitting lower in cars. Some regret in getting rid of the GTI.
    -Bought my parents a CPO Toyota Venza. Seems like a decent enough car that I will get acquainted with as I drive it 6hrs to drop it off in a few weeks. Not an exciting car by any means but it was bought for reliability.
    -Some guy near work has excellent taste in cars. Yesterday was a newer Aston Martin Vanquish. Today is a new GT3 RS.
    -I've seen 3 new Vipers over the last week. I haven't seen a Viper in years and now 3 recently.

1 person likes this.