1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

@rtc. That's why you need to become a "Car Guy". Why do you think some blue collar guys score sweet expensive cars cheap?
    Example. Car won't start. Turns the key and hears a click. Says how much is this 10k car (if working) that won't start? Oh. 6k. Car guy says erm, ok. hands over the money. Has a friend tow him a few blocks away. Pops the hood. Hits the starter motor with a hammer and it starts right up. ;) drives by a parts store or wrecking yard on the way home. Picks up a starter motor. Swaps it out over a beer. And has saved 4k on a car. :slayer:

Be a car guy rtc. It's a whole private world. Like Wizards and Muggles in harry potter. :p

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    3 people like this.
  2. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

The RS6 is only available in Avant form in the UK. I think it is mainly an Audi thing as nearly all M cars are saloons and the proper AMG cars are not very popular here as their priority is the engine not handling.

I can't say I have seen young men drool at the sight of such cars but I lead a boring life.

What seems difficult to understand is the current SUV popularity here. There is not need or space to go off-road in much of the UK and their ride and handling are worse than conventional cars.

3. SirReveller

SirReveller Well-Known Member

Yes twas foolish but the anecdote remains. Also the height in bad weather. When you're smashing over snow dat commanding view is ace.

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I'm getting there haha. Three of us tackled the LSD in my garage on sunday. It wasn't too bad! Few other things lined up as well.

But then I go online and see stuff like this...
    Link: http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5848886983.html

And I wonder where I went wrong lol. That car has the bigger brakes, LSD, etc already on there. It has 40k miles more which is like 4+ years of use so that is something...
    I guess the top and seats are shit but that's not a huge deal. I'm working with a friend right now to find BRZ/FRS seats for the miata because they're bolstered and not as expensive as miata seats...

A week ago someone bought a miata with a busted o2 sensor and heater core for 1100 bucks. I wouldn't want to tackle the heater core myself, but you can pay someone to do it if it's that cheap!

Honestly, I've been having fun. The third kid in my garage this weekend was someone that basically knows as little as I did at the start of the summer. Now he wants a miata to learn on and drive because my friend took him out and went sideways in a parking lot a couple of times lol.

My 02 Subaru TS gets over snow fine on winter tires. Trucks/high SUV's are sensible if you're doing a ton of driving up to the slopes where plowing is bad or if you need more clearance because you live in a rural area that doesn't get cleared as often. I'm in New England. We get plenty of snow. Subarus do great here and they're not all that much higher than most cars. Chances are that you shouldn't be driving if there's an uncleared foot of snow on the ground.

5. Thrift Vader

Pffft.
    Twin turbo legacy (Wagon) laughs at snow.
    Just play this:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

While bouncing off the rev limiter, And enjoy. Winter goodness.:)

1 person likes this.
  6. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

+1

I've never had any problems getting through snow storms, even blizzards with my regular height 04 Legacy, or our more current 2010 Legacy, and both of those were on all season tires. A friend with a second home in Vermont (also a Subie owner) says Subies are a very popular choice up there because of their AWD and all the snow they get up there. Actually the biggest problem I had driving a Subie in a blizzard was that on the last stretch of road to get home, the snow fall was so strong that it was nearly white out conditions, and I couldn't see more than maybe 10 -15 feet a head of the car so I had to proceed very slowly (but the visibility issue would have been the same in any vehicle). The important part was I got home safe and sound.

I suppose if one lives in places where flooding is an issue that might be more of a reason to go with an SUV (for its height). I'm with RTC if you have 8+ inches of uncleared snow on the ground you probably shouldn't be driving. My issues with SUV drivers tend to be inexperienced idiots who think because they are in an SUV the laws of physics don't apply to them. Many times when I've left work early in a snow storm to get home, I've just driven slowly and carefully with the bulk of traffic sometimes going only 30-40 mph, but making it home without incident. However, on several occasions I've seen Yukon Denalis, Nissan Pathfinders, or Tundra's that blow past everyone at 65-70 mph and maybe 2 miles down the road they have slid off the road or hit a guard rail. I also hate when some gigantic truck/SUV parks at the end of a street at an intersection or driveway, and no one can see around them to see oncoming traffic. Thank goodness some of the bigger vehicles now have blind spot indicators, I can't even count the number of times I had to lean on my horn when someone in an SUV who couldn't see or keep track of the traffic around them in an would start to change lanes and almost hit me.

1 person likes this.
  7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

I can't stand SUVs. They make me feel like I'm floating and not in a good way. I feel like I'm in less control of the car and my spatial awareness of how big the car is goes out the window. Parking is a bitch. And oh god, the body roll.

I much prefer coupes that are close to the ground. One thing I find very annoying about my m3 is that the seat's ride height is so high. Even at the lowest setting, my head / hair will scrape against the roof. Infuriating.

8. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Rolled with a Fiat 500 this weekend.

Got a good discount from the rental car place because the passenger side door handle was broken off (could only open from the inside). With the back seats folded flat, it has plenty of space for 2 people's worth of camping gear. For some strange reason, it was a Canadian spec car, so speedo was in KM.

Seemed like it made a *lot* of noise...don't know if that is normal (maybe @gomestar knows if they are just noisy cars), but it felt like something was wrong with the front end...steering made the occasional clunk at low speed and I might attribute the noise to a bad wheel bearing or something... the odometer was coming up in 50k, and whether that was in KM or Mi, both are getting a bit long in the tooth for a rental car that has been thrashed on.

Other than that though...car was a blast. Handled great, even at 80+mph (none of that feeling like you are going to blow away in a corner with a cross wind that some tiny cars have). Little anemic in the engine territory as you might expect, but I image the Abarth model fixes that.

If I needed a car for day to day use in the city, I would seriously consider one. With the seats down, it has plenty of rear space as long as you only need to drive 2 people, so it still functions for couple's trips. Thanks to its small size, I scored street parking on my first attempt...despite being blocks away from Wrigley field and 10 minutes before the first pitch of a World Series game. Changing lanes in city traffic was effortless. Unfortunately, most of my car use is either "move something big" or "head out of town, often with >2 people + gear" so I don't think I will be buying one soon.

Even goes off road a little bit:
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i don't recall any noise issues, but 50K (irregardless of miles or km) is a LOT for that car since it's a rental and because you're right, people thrash those things around (and it's a car with a peppy engine that kind of asks to be thrashed around).

this was a while ago, but had similar experience on the highway - car felt agile yet totally sturdy even at 80+ mph. Was very impressed.

10. Dino944

A friend of mine got one as a rental car when they first came out because he thought it would be fun to drive. He thought it wasn't much fun to drive and that it was a piece of crap. I've never driven one.

The guys at a service shop I use bought 3 Abarths, stripped the unnecessary stuff, put in roll bars, they track them, and rent them to clients who want to track something without worrying about damaging their own cars. The techs there say their stripped down Abarths are a lot of fun to play with on a track.

11. ridethecliche

I don't mind body roll. It's actually nice in the miata because you feel what the car is doing. In an SUV though, I feel like I'm going to roll over if I push the car. The sensation just bothers me.

I completely understand what you mean re:floating.

12. Thrift Vader

That Miata is fail. So, so much fail. I can't even. . . .

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty cool. Love how the new miatas look btw. I think Mazda has some of the best looking cars for the masses right now.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    2 people like this.
  14. Alpha11

Alpha11 Well-Known Member

Never really understood the love affair some people have with the Mazda Miata. I used to belong to the SCCA and would see them on the track every time I was there.

The HP is low and so is the torque, lap times were reflective of those numbers too. I would see the pony-cars run laps around them and if you know anything out American Muscle Cars you know it's not easy getting in and out of turns easy without the back-end wanting to come around. I all not even comment on the other other sport coupe like the M3. I guess because it is so small and does not have the kind of HP and torque that would get most novelist drivers in trouble it would be easy to control and could add to the fun factor . However, for me I want to beat the car into submission and make it do what I want as fast as I can possibly go than to have the car do all the work. But hey everyone has their opinion.

15. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I would think being able to take a car near its limits would be a lot more enjoyable than having an overpowered car where you can never experience its limits. While I have never tracked a car, I have taken a go-kart to its edge and it is exhilarating but if I didn't knows its limits, I would always wonder if I ever could take it there.

16. ridethecliche

By so much fail, if you mean no fail, then...
    Road racing or autocross?

They're built to be like old british roadsters, except reliable. Why do you see them so much at SCCA? Well, they're cheap, plentiful, and there are a billion places to get parts for them when something inevitably breaks.

The fun factor and ease of access is probably what attracts novice drivers, but the folks at the top of the SCCA and spec miata are just damn good drivers.
    Yeah, there's something to be said about wringing the neck of a car without being arrested for it. I take my miata to redline when the engine is warmed up atleast a few times a week. I've never had a cop do anything about it. I think it's just hilarious. It's also the same reason I used to have an SV650. The bike is fast but forgiving and great handling.

If you're comparing american pony cars to miatas in the handling department, you've probably put a ton of money into the pony car and possibly just a grand into the miata if you even bothered to swap out the stock billsteins. Then there are all those videos of mustangs and their highly skilled drivers out on the internet right now.

17. ridethecliche

I've also decided that I'm going to turbo the miata at some point, so there's that. Might even get into the engine a little to do rods if I can find a decent set for not stupid dollars.

Megasquirt should let me do boost by gear so I don't grenade the trans.

18. Dino944

I've heard an old saying, "That its more fun to go fast in a slower car, than slow in a fast car." I suppose it still depends on the car...I don't think trying to drive a Yugo fast (it that's even possible) would be as much fun as driving a vintage BMW 2002Tii fast.

In addition, a few years ago, I saw video of a comparison of a Bugatti Veyron and a Porsche 981S being driven around a track ( not by professional drivers). The 981 Cayman S had lap times not that different than the Bugatti and they said the issue came down to power. They said most people can make good use of power in the 300-450 hp range, however once most cars have over 500HP, its beyond what most non -professional drivers can really handle and people back off for fear of getting in over their heads wrecking their cars/getting hurt.

19. Alpha11

Alpha11 Well-Known Member

I have owned a few Pony-cars (1997 SS LT1, 2002 SLP Firehawk) and had fan pushing those car out at the track both road course and strip. Only once did one of them come around on me and that was doing 45mph on an off ramp where I hit the gas too soon and the rear came around. The next week I changed the shocks and springs which lowered the car and I never had any problem at that.

I now own a 09 S/C XF and I am hoping to close a deal on a XFR or a 2010 CLS 63 AMG in the next week or so. Either one will be fine however, I will be hitting the both tracks to get the most I can out of it. BTW I did a attend a racing school for 4 days two years ago and really learned a lot which I am hoping to test out next road course I go to.

1 person likes this.
  20. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

The problem with me liking Tii's is that the price is creeping up quickly, 997's are coming down in price, and air-cooled 911 targas have not had a huge increase. If I was a current buyer looking seriously, I would have a tough decision on my hands.