1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. SirReveller

SirReveller Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

Wow, you saw a Skyline over there??! :slayer:
    Last night bar chat had a group agreement that an SVX is still badass. Brz could have been the new one. . Hmmmm wonder if anybody has done an 3.0 swap in one yet. .

@bruhmuman. Last week you asked me to produce a JDM electric car that could take on the Tesla. Well. . . Say hello to my little friend.
    [VIDEO] [/VIDEO]
    The new Nissan leaf gets 280 kilometers from a charge. Could drive the average jdm peeps to and from work for at least a week between charges. Fits in their small city Garages. Fits 4 people comfortably.has all the options you need. - a step towards the ultimate electric city commuter. Also here? Not powered by coal. With charging points everywhere, and can be charged at home? Would totes endorse teh wife driving one. :nodding:
    But. . .

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

Not at all dismissing the Leaf. We need more cars like it.

I will say - come on - take on a Model S or X directly? Yeah, no. Again, I like the Leaf and have never ripped on it like I have the i3.

1 person likes this.
  4. Thrift Vader

No fun at all. :p

By "take on Tesla". I mean a company who is getting electric cars mass produced, and selling units like fried chicken. Gaining the market share. As a proving ground? Yeah, they could tweak it for sports. Slam it into a kei roadster frame. But with small car size means less batteries. It would have to be a city car.

Might be under the radar, but the newest leaf is a game changer. Would be interested to see a Tesla city hatch. With the same perks. For the same price. They would sell damned fast.

If Nissan upsized everything? The batteries, the motor. And put it into a new skyline? There is the real contender. Although the leaf is a solid start for the very conservative side of engineering.

(We are supposed to argue. It promotes content). :cheers:

5. ramuman

You've never annoyed me. :) I could conjure up an argument and say I hate Nissan Leafs, they're for idiot hippies. I'd be lying though. In reality, they drive well, are affordable as well as practical, unlike the i3 which is in no mans land. A while ago, Elon giggled about the i3 during an earnings call, but has had nothing but praise for the Leaf.

I've test driven all the current electric cars and really like where Nissan is going. Bias might be having owned two Sentras. :embar:

6. Thrift Vader

Dammit. You gonna make me test drive a leaf. Aren't you? . :lol:

Getting me in an electric car. . That's your plan.

Nah, for real. In a city environment. I see no reason why not to drive a car such as a leaf. Though still very keen to see toyota's Hydrogen efforts produce results.
    An electric car would be impractical for me.
    (Various reasons) but center of town? Sure.

Do you think Elon will aim at the leaf market?

1 person likes this.
  7. ramuman

The Model 3 will essentially kill the current iteration for better or for worse. Nissan has the technology to make a competitive counter product though.

1 person likes this.
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

When do you guys think a credible EV replacement for my GL, with a range of 500 miles, and sticker of 90k or less will happen?

9. pravda

pravda Well-Known Member

How does the Leaf compare to Prius? Although solid, I like the looks of the Prius better. One of my coworkers actually drives a Honda Fit as his daily commuter. It's quite terrific and serves as hus little truck

10. ramuman

Elon stated recently that the P90D and P100D were essentially pet projects for him and even the Model 3 could have a 500 mile range, but there was no compelling reason to do it and none of the consumer base asked for them.

The people at Tesla say if they came out with a car with a 500 mile range, then people will ask 'when will an electric car have a 1000 mile range?'

I like the Leaf more since it is purely electric, but the Prius is another car I've never ripped on. It's roomy and drives well - the later of which can't be said of even the current Camrys.

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

@Thrift Vader
    @horndog
    @VaderDave
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I could live with an electric car if it had a 250-300 mile range. On a road trip, that gives you a solid 4 hours of driving and by that time I need a break. How many people are making frequent long haul trips where 500 miles is warranted without stopping?

Looks like I can buy Leaf with 20K miles for $10K here in Nashville. Seems like a bargain considering I bought my first car, a 1996 Nissan Maxima for $8K with like 80K miles in 2003. What am I missing?

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Well for starters, ramubrah has a penchant for aggressively coming onto Leaf drivers.

4 people like this.
  14. ramuman

That girl at the San Mateo charging station with the Leaf was drop dead gorgeous. Almost Trumpish cheat-onable. :p

Also, I get 270+ miles real world on a full charge, it'd be a bit better with the 19" tires and the non ludy.

15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Garage smells like pb blaster, but all 8 header bolts move! Should make the swap easier when I take it on. Going to try to get my midpipe bolts soaked as well so that doesn't cause any issues either.

2 people like this.
  16. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

For me it's not about "frequent" but "I want it there when I want it." Also, the difference in time to take a break and tank up is drastically different between an EV and an IC car. I mean, fill the tank, do the windows, take a piss and buy a bottle of water = 10 minutes. What's it going to be with an EV in Idaho?

2 people like this.
  17. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

How are your knuckles after that effort?

1 person likes this.
  18. Thrift Vader

You can do it! Did you get the welds looked at? Props for spending your weekend wrenching. Can be zen like.:)

VERY good question.

19. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

The problem with electric vehicles, which only Tesla is doing right, is marketing. There is too much focus on green customers because of the Prius's success. They shouldn't be focusing on the green angle, but rather things like "think about the 10 hours a year at the gas station you won't have to spend" and "get instantaneous power" and "less noise in the cabin as a result of our efficient and quiet motors" etc etc.

The only electric car I would buy is a Tesla. I don't like the unique looks of a Prius that screams "I'm green" (and we could get into a whole debate on whether the car is actually good for the environment) and the Leaf and i3 intentionally cater to that same exact crowd (except the i3 also tries to scream I'm a rich green).

They just need to try to appeal to the broad swath of customers who don't want to make a political statement with their car or have their car stand out for being a really odd design and just view their car as a utility - it gets them from A to B.

1 person likes this.
  20. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

It's one of the ugliest cars ever made. Just admire their work.... :embar:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.