1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Antonio "Tony" Albaladejo is the CEO of Carmina. His brother and nephew runs Meermin. There used to be two brothers working at Meermin but one went back to work for Carmina. I don't know the reason why. The dad, the mom and all the siblings work a Carmina, it's just the one brother that runs Meermin.

@insy I'm not sure that statement is correct, do you have anything to back that up? I'm not saying it's not true, but I've never heard that before and I have some insight in Carmina as a company.

Yanko was a brand founded by Don Jose Albaladejo (Tony's father). The Albaladejo's sold the rights to the name a couple of decades ago. The "new Yanko" has nothing to do with Carmina or the Albaladejo's AFAIK.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  2. ino68

ino68 Well-Known Member

Carmina's lasts are in my mind right up there with the very best makers, there is nothing of the awkwardness you find with brands at lower price points.

Meermin's lasts don't look as good as Carminas in my eyes, so maybe they're similar but not exactly the same?!

1 person likes this.
  3. insy

insy Well-Known Member

I bought a bunch of pairs last summer in the Palma Store and talked about Carmina and Meermin with the salesperson. I was told that when Meermin started his business, his relatives were so kind and offered him the designs of the lasts to get the business going.

Nothing more to back up my claims unfortunately [​IMG]

4. Meyboom

Meyboom Well-Known Member

Carmina is running two great gmto's at the moment. Both are on the Queens last. It is mentioned as a last with wide fitting. That surprises me, as I've always thought Queens last was on the narrow side. Can any of you who owns carminas on the Queens last clarify what it is like, length- and widthwise and on the instep? Can anyone compare to other lasts like Simpson, rain, inca, forest?

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

The split toe one is gorgeous! I would like to know how Queens Last fits, too. I received yesterday a pair of penny loafers in the Uetam, 9.5 UK and how's possible that they fit me perfectly and Rain in 9.5 UK which should be wider, feels a bit tight in my toes?

6. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Well-Known Member

I take +0.5 size in uetam over my rain size

7. StylinProfilin

StylinProfilin Well-Known Member

When is the NYC store opening?

TheBlackDonDraper likes this.
  8. vmss

vmss Well-Known Member

My first Carminas. I bought these monk loafers two years ago. I must say they are still my favorite Carmina pair. These are on the Simpson last. Great summer shoe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  9. benjamin831

benjamin831 Well-Known Member

Quick question: does anybody know how the Uetam last compares to the Simpson? I'm thinking size down half a size?

10. vmss

vmss Well-Known Member

They are exactly the same measurements just a different toe shape.

11. circumspice

circumspice Well-Known Member

Has anyone figured out how Barney's sizes Carmina? Are the website sizes UK, or +1 to map to US?

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

Yesterday I finally got the chance to polish the shoes I got from another member. I liked the result. Now, this is were this gets funny with the sizes. I use 9.5 UK in Rain, most people say: take 0.5 size more for Uetam. I have a 9 UK Uetam in suede that is snug but not tight. These are Uetam in 9.5 UK and I would say they are perfect. I feel them even better than the 9 UK ones. Funny thing is, the chukka and derby in Rain 9.5 UK feels a bit tight in my toes. But the oxfords in Rain, don't. Hahaha... what's happening?

How they arrived

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Meyboom

Meyboom Well-Known Member

So no one has experiece with the Queens last? If not, I will ask Gabriel form Skoak since they carry a model on Queens last as well.

14. Dichnotfu

Dichnotfu New Member

15. TheBlackDonDraper

TheBlackDonDraper Well-Known Member

Ditto

16. bm93

bm93 Well-Known Member

17. circumspice

circumspice Well-Known Member

Barney's sizes appear to be UK +1 on the basis of one order