1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Carlo Franco

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by redtree00, Dec 28, 2009.

1. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

If this guy was smart, he would have removed all traces of his name from this 'new' attempt at business, instead of once again propping some chick up as another defender. Well, if he was really smart, he would not have blatantly fucked a lot of people out of a lot of money, and then blatantly lying many times about the circumstances. Absolutely blatant, fucking bullshit lies.

They can come on here every few years and try to pretend it's a new day, and it's hilarious every time.

'Do you think they'll forgive this time? We'll take a page out of politics, deny, misdirection, new promises, and then the tie orders will flow like wine!'

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

^^^Yes, this...and what m@T said, exactly.

I have no dealings with CF but from what I've read, the douchebaggery seems to rank right up there with the infamous Attolini pink cashmere tie incident. Seriously, you're dealing with the most sophisticated of consumers and the excuses have run the gamut, seemingly getting more and more bizarre. The business's namesake is so busy with his career he has just completely ignored the business for 2 years? while orders were paid for and not fulfilled? WOW!?!

While I agree with everything you said, I want to especially point the bolded passage. SF / AAAC (LL as well, but they are another level altogether) are the elite sartorial information depositories on the internet. Anyone doing business on either one of these forums should realize this before they market a new business venture to members.

3. Faded501s

Faded501s Well-Known Member

^^^Yes, exactly. That's basically what I was trying to say. I don't know what the stats are for SF but I'd bet there are hundreds if not thousands of unique visitors per day that come wandering through here via some kind of sartorial search on a search engine. Google any obscure brand or anything related to men's clothing like "best suit" or "suit construction" or "slim fit shirts" or whatever and SF and AAAC are always going to be in the top 5.

Anyone searching about the $165 Carlo Franco ties that they're blowing out for $20 (I'm making this up) is going to end up here, reading our very words...and pass. Honestly, I could care less but I'm a marketing guy and the blunders really are enough to irk the hell out of me. Just the tone of this chick Jill is amazing to me.

It's really easy...
    "Hi guys. This is Jill from Carlo Franco. My apologies that we've been AWOL for so long but it's a long story. Without getting into it, we've recently found out that we owe a bunch of you guys some ties that were never delivered. We don't know who you are (again, long story) but please email me at Jill(at)CarloFrancodotcom or call 888-555-2222 and we'll do whatever we can to make you whole.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for this mess but I'm here now and want to make you happy."

4. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Well this was a bit before my time so I am having some trouble arriving at a decision. Is there any way we can tie Connemara, Kwilk or Edinatlanta to any of this? At various times they have all seemed a bit sketchy to me.

5. username79

username79 Well-Known Member

I am surprised these people are functioning human beings in real life. They obviously have no clue how to run a business and at most times it is hard to believe it is not some massive forum inside joke. What a bunch of clowns.

6. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

If you weren't involved with what was going on then how could you know if i was a customer? This thread is full of people who joined pre 2005, not a bunch of newbies trying to bash you for the heck of it.[/b]

yup, this I agree with - and removing previous disclaimer, I AM speaking as management now. The only time a newb entered this thread with criticisms, I silenced him. I will continue to do so.

Chuck/Jill - again - nothing personal, but I am not gonna give you the kind of air cover that you're getting over at Andy's.

As per my previous post, I personally am a satisfied customer, but having seen 'where the hell is my tie' posts on here for the past two years - and indeed being one of the people that defended you guys for a long time in those posts - I think you do have a lot to answer for. So, when people who are aggrieved and were around at the time, have legitimate gripes and cautionary tales, then I am gonna let them stand.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

^^^Yes, exactly. That's basically what I was trying to say. I don't know what the stats are for SF but I'd bet there are hundreds if not thousands of unique visitors per day that come wandering through here via some kind of sartorial search on a search engine. Google any obscure brand or anything related to men's clothing like "best suit" or "suit construction" or "slim fit shirts" or whatever and SF and AAAC are always going to be in the top 5.

Anyone searching about the $165 Carlo Franco ties that they're blowing out for $20 (I'm making this up) is going to end up here, reading our very words...and pass. Honestly, I could care less but I'm a marketing guy and the blunders really are enough to irk the hell out of me. Just the tone of this chick Jill is amazing to me.

It's really easy...
    "Hi guys. This is Jill from Carlo Franco. My apologies that we've been AWOL for so long but it's a long story. Without getting into it, we've recently found out that we owe a bunch of you guys some ties that were never delivered. We don't know who you are (again, long story) but please email me at Jill(at)CarloFrancodotcom or call 888-555-2222 and we'll do whatever we can to make you whole.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for this mess but I'm here now and want to make you happy."

Maybe they should get you to handle their PR.

This is an open message to Chuck an Jill:

You guys were always good to me, and I am not one of your dissatisfied customers. However, it seems to me that you guys are handling this all wrong. No one is at all interested in excuses and explanations if they are not accompanied by an ironclad guarantee to make things right. There is no need for a long post about cancer (sorry to hear about that, and hopefully, things are well), Audrey joining the military, etc... See above. Really, that's all that is needed. Actually, more than that would only make things worse.

Fok.

Re. if anyone is really interested in forum trivia: there are tens of thousands of unique visitors here per day, and a good fraction of those are new visitors.

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

Can we slow the birching and caning long enough to acknowledge and appreciate that Chuck and Jill have returned, of their own volition, to make amends for their missteps.

9. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

Not true. The price was previously $165, which is among the lowest on the market for 7-fold ties.

As implausible as it may sound, that is absolutely true. The CarloFranco website / email had been DOWN for two years until about 4 or 5 months ago, when I got a notice to renew the domain. It was at this time I started receiving emails again.

I'm not going to continue to defend repeated accusations of deceit from posters who have never even been customers of ours, and which are blatantly false. There is nothing more for me to say publicly, as it will only be met with more of same. If you are a former customer, and need to have unfinished business resolved, please contact me at jill(at)carlofranco.com. I will do everything I can to right the situation, with my sincere apologies.

You are probably right, when you are in a hole you should stop digging (no more excuses).

At this point I would be Fedexing ties out next day delivery to guys like jamesbond and anyone else who didnt receive their goods, and asking them to post in this thread that you have made things right.

Did we hear from anyone who has been made whole yet?

K

10. username79

username79 Well-Known Member

Their PR strategy appears to make up various usernames like "Audrey" who berate and react defensively to their customers. This iteration of "Jill" does not appear to be much better. Excuses like "Audrey joining the military," cancer, meteors, etc. are not relevant. Besides "Carlo" himself logged onto the other forum in the middle of your supposed absence and acknowledged complaints. Your entire story is bullshit.

The three line blurb Faded501s posted would have been far more effective. Simple and to the point but apparently so out of reach for these folks. Amazing how wrong some people get it.

11. Styk33

Styk33 Well-Known Member

K

CF owed me one tie. Jill responded to my old message about not receiving the tie and stated that the SF tie was no longer available. So she offered me any three ties from their site. I received confirmation last night that a shipment from CF in Texas was made to my residence here in CA. I will post later this week about the package that hopefully contains the three ties in replacement for the one I paid for in early 2007.

Apparently I am nicer than most that have posted on this thread. Do I believe what has been posted by Jill and such, that doesn't matter. Are they trying to make it right, it definitely appears so.

12. jcriswel

jcriswel Well-Known Member

CF owed me one tie. Jill responded to my old message about not receiving the tie and stated that the SF tie was no longer available. So she offered me any three ties from their site. I received confirmation last night that a shipment from CF in Texas was made to my residence here in CA. I will post later this week about the package that hopefully contains the three ties in replacement for the one I paid for in early 2007.

Apparently I am nicer than most that have posted on this thread. Do I believe what has been posted by Jill and such, that doesn't matter. Are they trying to make it right, it definitely appears so.

I have an idea for an experiment in the market dynamics of SF. Let's imagine you receive those three ties - original Carlo Franco ties MSRP $150. Next, list them in the B&S section. Resell them to the highest bidder. How much do you think they will sell for? All three will surely sell for more than the purchase price of your original tie. What do you think?

[​IMG]

What if each one sells for more than the original MSRP? What message would you draw from that?

13. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

Great, looking forward to hearing about your new ties.

K

14. The Contrarian

The Contrarian Well-Known Member

Next, list them in the B&S section...

Wait...Did you mean the BS Section?

[​IMG]

15. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Well-Known Member

I have the orig. SF tie. Wore it only once. too thick for my tastes. Wanna trade?

16. jcriswel

jcriswel Well-Known Member

K

I received confirmation last night that a shipment from CF in Texas was made to my residence here in CA.

I have the orig. SF tie. Wore it only once. too thick for my tastes. Wanna trade?

Now we're talking... this is a language Jill and Chuck will surely understand. Vote with your dollars. Are you willing to pay for their merchandise? What is it worth? List those ties on Buying and Selling and let's see if anyone is willing to pay. They say they are eschewing the drama on the fora. Fine! Let's let the market decide - yay or nay?

17. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

What I'm curious to hear from people on SF who actually bought CF ties - are they really one of the best in the market? I have a hard time believing some IT guy in Texas thought, hey, maybe I will start a tie business selling 7-fold ties, and having them be one of the best constructed in the market, sufficient to rival or surpass well-established brands (admittedly some may not necessarily be on top of the game due to cutting corners for the sake of maximizing profits). I don't know these CF people, and maybe they studied tie making for years.

I have four, and my long-term assessment is that, while initially very nice, they have not held up nearly as well as most other ties I own. Even without the customer service imbroglio, I likely would not purchase them again, as Hober represents a much better value.

One of the ties, in fact, started to fall apart after only the third wearing. While I did finally receive a refund, I recall that it took two or three months of broken promises (of the "check is in the mail" variety), evaded phone calls and ignored e-mails to finally receive it. This was right as things were starting to implode, and I worked directly with Chuck, so Jill's insistence that the problems stemmed from the failure of certain underlings rang very false to me.

18. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

I have four, and my long-term assessment is that, while initially very nice, they have not held up nearly as well as most other ties I own. Even without the customer service imbroglio, I likely would not purchase them again, as Hober represents a much better value.
    One of the ties, in fact, started to fall apart after only the third wearing. While I did finally receive a refund, I recall that it took two or three months of broken promises (of the "check is in the mail" variety), evaded phone calls and ignored e-mails to finally receive it. This was right as things were starting to implode, and I worked directly with Chuck, so Jill's insistence that the problems stemmed from the failure of certain underlings rang very false to me.

Why in the world would anyone buy from CF when you have Sam Hober, Fourinhand, Drakes London, Howard Yount, etc. all providing much less gaudy and better quality ties for cheaper prices?

19. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

More than anything, the disqualifier for me is the stupid name.

- B

20. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

Why in the world would anyone buy from CF when you have Sam Hober, Fourinhand, Drakes London, Howard Yount, etc. all providing much less gaudy and better quality ties for cheaper prices?

Although I have a somewhat dim view of how well the ties have held up over time, I must admit I'm mystified by this criticism. Sure, some of the Carlo Franco offerings are more vibrant than your garden variety cravat, but many (stripes and pindots, for example) are perfectly at home in a restrained outfit. Each of the ties I purchased worked very well in a five-day-a-week work environment.