1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

caring for vintage shoes...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JordanH., Oct 21, 2009.

1. JordanH.

JordanH. Well-Known Member

Hello, all. I just got some vintage shoes off eBay and am not sure how to care for them. I know some of the members here buy vintage shoes and wondered exactly what you do to keep your shoes in good shape. I was thinking that I should clean and put leather conditioner on them and maybe leather lotion afterward. Then, maybe some shoe cream or wax every few wears. What do you think about this?

2. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Well-Known Member

Leather cleaner/conditioner is probably a good idea, followed by some shoe cream and then wax. But how is the condition of the leather at the moment? Is there a huge buildup of wax on the upper? Is the upper dry or cracking? How are the soles? All of these things need to be taken into consideration. If the soles are falling apart, for instance, you can get the shoes resoled and reconditioned at the same time.

3. IBJanky

IBJanky Well-Known Member

Don't wear them, LOL

j/k [​IMG]

myke

4. MarcellHUN

MarcellHUN Well-Known Member

Depends on leather, their condition.. etc. Would you post some pictures, so I can give some ideas..

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Then, maybe some shoe cream or wax every few wears. What do you think about this?

I assume, by this comment, that you have these only as a collector/for display and not to wear.

6. JordanH.

No, I plan on wearing them. I went to the post office to pick them up but the carrier had left by then. They should be here later on today at around 3.

7. fcuknu

fcuknu Well-Known Member

Don't wear them, LOL

j/k [​IMG]

myke

drive by jokes, always funny.

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

No, I plan on wearing them. I went to the post office to pick them up but the carrier had left by then. They should be here later on today at around 3.

Sorry Jordan. Guess I need new glasses. When I quoted you, I thought you said cream and wax every few YEARS [​IMG] thus my question.

So, yeah... condition and then treat like you would any good shoe.

How vintage are we talking?

9. JordanH.

I'm not sure, exactly, Mr. Grant. These are Florsheim Imperial Wing Tips with a V cleat. I just got them in....no pictures yet, bet here's the auction....by the way, they fit wonderfully...moreso than any shoe I have owned...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

10. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

IME, some vintage shoes could do with a bit more initial TLC (i.e. more coats of conditioner initially) than 'fresh off the bench' ones.

11. JordanH.

thanks for that bit on info, apropos. how many coats do you think will give me the greatest benefit?

12. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

thanks for that bit on info, apropos. how many coats do you think will give me the greatest benefit?
    Coat, let the conditioner dry and haze over, then buff - rinse and repeat. I do it 3 times on all shoes I purchase - I cannot speak for your vintage shoes. If you have a pair of modern-make shoe that has leather that feels just 'right' to you, you could attempt, with repeated conditioning (interspersed with paste and wax), to reach that level of suppleness.

13. JordanH.

I said I would put pictures up...so I shall...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. upnorth

upnorth Well-Known Member

They seem to be in good condition. Personally, I would wipe down the interior with antibacterial wipes first. Clean them thoroughly and apply two coats of conditioner at least 8 hours apart.

Then I may bring it to a professional for a change of heel and edge dressing before applying a layer of polish, but that's just me.

15. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Maybe I am wrong but with a pair of older shoes like the old Kenmoors (or Nettletons),
    I would be inclined to apply leather lotion a little more often than I would on a new pair of shoes,
    especially around the crease area (top & sides) just to ensure maximum flexibility and decrease chances of cracking.
    The leather on the older Kenmoors of this vintage will be stiff, but with love and care they should prove to be fine for many years yet. Great shoes. I'm sure you'll enjoy them immensely.

16. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Maybe I am wrong but with a pair of older shoes like the old Kenmoors (or Nettletons),
    I would be inclined to apply leather lotion a little more often than I would on a new pair of shoes,
    especially around the crease area (top & sides) just to ensure maximum flexibility and decrease chances of cracking.
    The leather on the older Kenmoors of this vintage will be stiff, but with love and care they should prove to be fine for many years yet. Great shoes. I'm sure you'll enjoy them immensely.

Use Pecards...then buff off excess and leave a few days to absorb the wax and then wear or precede to spit shine....I speak as someone with about 15 pairs of vintage shoes in various states of wear...