1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Career Advice - Need Some Direction

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Khayembii Communique, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

He certainly comes across as possessing this mentality, at least to a lesser degree. This is exactly why he shouldn't consider working for the USACE. No matter how wrong that mindset is, someone with that mindset doesn't belong in that environment. Not to mention the fact that USACE has next to nothing to do with the actual military. Their primary mission is to develop and maintain the nation's water and related environmental resources. I know you are aware of this, clearly he is not.

Clearly I am aware of this, and simply prefer not to work for the government.

...and on the occasions where people have asked him questions to that effect, he has either not answered, or responded with something along the lines of "i just do, so there"

I haven't seen any questions, just a bunch of bitching. I find nothing wrong with being entitled; you only get so far as you think you deserve in life. There is nothing wrong with entitlement as long as you are appreciative of where you are already at and what you already have. That doesn't mean that one should settle.

basically, man up. I'd say join the military, not just because it will give you some work experience, but because it will give you some character, which I guess your parents were too busy to be bothered with.

but if you simply possitivly can't be bothered to do something that will contribute to your country, try some NGOs - you are a civil engineer. there are plenty of organizations that could use you in haiti, in other parts of the world that need engineers. go build bridges or damns or roads for a few years, then, you know what? have have experience. and maybe some balls too. and life will look better.

I have no desire whatsoever to contribute to "my country". But I will probably start getting more involved with Engineers Without Borders, and will probably look into other organizations to which I could contribute; thanks for the suggestion.

I am 45 years old and was out of work 2 years. I had 5 jobs at one point, and they were shit jobs, Hell I even was delivering newspapers, and I am a professional guy like you are. Eventually I got a great job. Point is, by staying busy, working your ass off, being humble and losing the sense of entitlement, things will come together. That shit job you have now is a blessing. I would have killed for $17/hour when I was unemployed, and I have 2 mortgages and a family to support.

Sucks that you had to go through that. Yeah, after a year of not thinking I'd be able to find anything I was really excited to get this job. Now that I have this job it's time to focus on where to go from here, which is what this thread is about.

Anyways, I'm actually seriously looking into going back to grad school for a Masters/PhD in Aerospace engineering. My friend, who I just found out yesterday is going that route, has given me a ton of great advice, and I'm starting to really research into that. I'm also going to start applying to engineering jobs again, because it couldn't hurt, even though I don't expect much to come of it.

2. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any questions, just a bunch of bitching. I find nothing wrong with being entitled; you only get so far as you think you deserve in life. There is nothing wrong with entitlement as long as you are appreciative of where you are already at and what you already have. That doesn't mean that one should settle.

Congratulations on the stupidest statement I've ever read, and I read through CE.

3. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any questions
    here, try mine:

Anyhow, a few questions:

1. how do you define "deserving" a better job?
    2. who "deserves" your job?
    3. In what way are you better than the people in 2?
    4. If you don't know what you want, how will you know when you have it?
    5. What if it disappoints?

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member