• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car rattle

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an '07 Chevy Cobalt. Over the past week or so, I've noticed a rattle while cruising at higher speeds (60MPH+). It sounds like it's coming from the undercarriage, right in the middle or maybe on the right side of the car. It's new, so I'm a little concerned. Initial thought is a wheel bearing but I'm not sure. Any other ideas before I take it to the dealer?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it still under warranty?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could be one of a million things. My money is on something to do with the exhaust if it's actually the middle of the car...like a heat shield for the cat convertor coming loose.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Is it still under warranty?
Yeah.
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Sounds like wheel balance.
Potholes have been really bad this year and there's a stretch of road I'm on every morning where it is 99% impossible to avoid them. Could that have screwed something up?

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Exhaust heat shield, if it's a rattle.

Wheel bearings don't rattle. They growl-whine. Also, a lot of the time, they get louder as you turn away from the affected wheel, loading the suspension on that side.

The easiest way to start to diagnose these things is to determine whether the noise varies with wheel speed (drive train, wheels, brakes), engine speed (engine), or is triggered by road undulations or potholes (suspension) or others inputs.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Empty whiskey bottles under your seats.

It is well worth looking for them. Some might not be empty.

Logan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
Exhaust heat shield, if it's a rattle. Wheel bearings don't rattle. They growl-whine. Also, a lot of the time, they get louder as you turn away from the affected wheel, loading the suspension on that side. The easiest way to start to diagnose these things is to determine whether the noise varies with wheel speed (drive train, wheels, brakes), engine speed (engine), or is triggered by road undulations or potholes (suspension) or others inputs.
OMG, car talk from someone that actually knows what the **** is up. An unbalanced tire would shake your steering wheel at certain speeds and drive you nuts the second time you drove the car after you noticed it. This may be a wild and radical idea, but have you checked any Cobalt forums instead of asking advice on a style forum? I know, it seems crazy, but they will know whats up and you will probably have an idea within a day as to whats rattling. http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/ Sometimes the help people seek out on here blows my mind.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Logan
OMG, car talk from someone that actually knows what the **** is up.

An unbalanced tire would shake your steering wheel at certain speeds and drive you nuts the second time you drove the car after you noticed it.

This may be a wild and radical idea, but have you checked any Cobalt forums instead of asking advice on a style forum? I know, it seems crazy, but they will know whats up and you will probably have an idea within a day as to whats rattling. http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/

Sometimes the help people seek out on here blows my mind.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the guy has 5 years worth of contacts and 35,000 posts so he thought he might ask one of the 77,000 current members from people he trusts before soliciting advice on a new forum where he doesn't know who to trust for advice?

alexanduh

Reaction score
an 07 car isnt really a new car seeing as its 2011..

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Empty whiskey bottles under your seats.

It is well worth looking for them. Some might not be empty.

worship.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
check the trunk for a body...

Logan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Did it ever occur to you that maybe the guy has 5 years worth of contacts and 35,000 posts so he thought he might ask one of the 77,000 current members from people he trusts before soliciting advice on a new forum where he doesn't know who to trust for advice?

You're joking right? It doesn't matter how many posts he has, he is still asking for help from a forum based on clothes. There might be 10 people that own that same car on here.

That site has 53,000 members and I'd bet that 90% of them own a cobalt, and the rest own a car based on the same platform as the cobalt. So they would probably get the same rattle and be able to help him out. I don't know what car forums you visit, if any, but the people on them are not giant ego douchebags like they are here.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Logan
You're joking right? It doesn't matter how many posts he has, he is still asking for help from a forum based on clothes. There might be 10 people that own that same car on here.

That site has 53,000 members and I'd bet that 90% of them own a cobalt, and the rest own a car based on the same platform as the cobalt. So they would probably get the same rattle and be able to help him out. I don't know what car forums you visit, if any, but the people on them are not giant ego douchebags like they are here.

bounce2.gif

welcome!!

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I have an '07 Chevy Cobalt. Over the past week or so, I've noticed a rattle while cruising at higher speeds (60MPH+). It sounds like it's coming from the undercarriage, right in the middle or maybe on the right side of the car. It's new, so I'm a little concerned. Initial thought is a wheel bearing but I'm not sure. Any other ideas before I take it to the dealer?

The heat shield on your catalytic converter is loose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads