1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Car Detailing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by tiecollector, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks man, sounds like I am doing just abotu everything wrong, down to the brands of stuff I am using! If you could give me some mail order recs, that'd be terrific. Car is an M3, silverstone, which is not really a metallic.

Are you still in Greater Atlanta? I have a sample of Z-2 Pro which is perfect on silverstone. Welcome to try it. BMW paint has a soft clearcoat which is easy to polish. You are welcome to drop by and use the Porter Cable polisher if you want...

2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

Are you still in Greater Atlanta? I have a sample of Z-2 Pro which is perfect on silverstone. Welcome to try it. BMW paint has a soft clearcoat which is easy to polish. You are welcome to drop by and use the Porter Cable polisher if you want...

Unfortunately (or fortunately, given how terrible traffic was getting), I moved about a year ago. Links might be better if you wouldn't mind. Thanks again.

3. Artisan Fan

4. mikeman

mikeman Well-Known Member

Ordered some Zaino products the otherday.I will report back after I use them.

5. Spiecks

Spiecks Member

6. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    Maybe someone in this thread can point me in the right direction. I bought a new vehicle recently, and I've noticed that the headliner is dirty. Lots of hand prints, and the like, all over it. Does anyone have any experience cleaning a headliner? It's driving me nuts, but I'm afraid to do anything about it for fear that I'll damage it.

7. Artisan Fan

Maybe someone in this thread can point me in the right direction. I bought a new vehicle recently, and I've noticed that the headliner is dirty. Lots of hand prints, and the like, all over it. Does anyone have any experience cleaning a headliner? It's driving me nuts, but I'm afraid to do anything about it for fear that I'll damage it.

A mixture of water and Woolite 50:50 sprayed into the headliner has worked for me in the past. Blot dry with a plush microfiber towel.

8. Artisan Fan

9. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    A mixture of water and Woolite 50:50 sprayed into the headliner has worked for me in the past. Blot dry with a plush microfiber towel.

Great idea, thanks! No problems with messing up the glue or anything when doing this?

10. Artisan Fan

Great idea, thanks! No problems with messing up the glue or anything when doing this?

Not in my experience but I would test a small inconspicuous area first just to make sure. You might also try a 3:1 or 5:1 mix of water to Woolite to be extra safe.

11. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I would spray the mf towel itself and gently blot/rub the liner.

Griots interior cleaner works well for this sort of thing.

12. Spiecks

Spiecks Member

13. Artisan Fan

Thanks. That one is better.

No problem. [​IMG]

14. Mblova

Mblova Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I am also a Zaino fan. Been one for a long time by using Z-8 and Z-2. Thinking of throwing some p21s into the mix...will see when I have more cash.

15. mikeman

mikeman Well-Known Member

First time user of Zaino,and I must admit that the stuff works well.I was also amazed at how well claying will clean up the paint.I am also thinking of trying the p21s as well.

16. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Never cared for zaino, I use strictly p21s, menzerna, and a bit of 1z on my car.

17. Artisan Fan

Never cared for zaino, I use strictly p21s, menzerna, and a bit of 1z on my car.

P21S is a great carnauba product with a terrific look but you give up some durability versus a sealant. I also like the Menzerna and 1Z lines.

I got started in detailing with a P21S kit. They still make the best gel wheel cleaner on the market.

18. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

My car was so dirty I broke down and went to a car wash place. They pre-rinsed the car with a foamy solution, then washed it off with water. Then they took a push broom with microfiber bristles to wash it more. Then they put it through the washing machine with spray on wax. I had them disable the side scrubber thingies. For a $20 wash I think my daily driver turned out pretty nice.

19. turboman808

turboman808 Well-Known Member

About 3 weeks ago I was at a vintage car show in CT. I came across Poor Boys products while there. They had a booth and needless to say with all the street credit these guys seem to have I dropped $200 pretty fast.

Prices are good and they sell by the gallon and it saves alot of money in the long run.

I wasn't sure which of there waxes to buy so I bought them all. In the end I really like the Natty Red. Guess it depends on the color of the car but with my metalic blue porsche it looked really dam good.

The white diamond glaze did a great job of hiding imperfections. I haven't had alot of experience with different glazes and this is the first one I am happy with. Did a great job of hiding those microscopic scratches.

My favorite products it there spray and gloss. Bought a couple of gallons of this. Glad I did. Been using it on my cars instead of continually washing them. The porsche is far from water tight so the less it gets wet the better. With some thick micro fiber towels is does a great job of getting the car clean and making it shine.

I haven't tried the wheel sealant yet. To lazy to take my wheels off and clean them spotless at the moment.

20. jet

jet Well-Known Member

My favorite products are the makita rotary (which I have not mastered yet lol!) and the euro 3m backing plates, both the firm and soft foam versions.