• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car Detailing

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Most of this stuff is mail order - see the links I posted above. The chemicals found in the stores are not state of the art, the Turtle Wax products are especially bad. The Megs waxes are terrible. Avril does an okay job but nothing near the quality of a professional detailer. Gnatty, let me know if you want some samples of the Zaino products to try. What kind of car paint (car model, color, metallic or not, etc.) do you have? I could create some recommendations, even help you polish the finish if you want.
I continue to hear great things about Zaino but I've never tried it myself. I'm not that fussy about a clean car but I do try to detail it at least once or twice a year to maintain and protect the finish. Meguiar has worked okay for me, but I may consider Zaino the next time around.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I continue to hear great things about Zaino but I've never tried it myself. I'm not that fussy about a clean car but I do try to detail it at least once or twice a year to maintain and protect the finish. Meguiar has worked okay for me, but I may consider Zaino the next time around.

The Megs is doable but for really nice gloss I definitely think you will like Zaino. It's the best I have tried and I keep trying new waxes and sealants.

I also like the Poorboys and Pinnacle carnauba waxes but they just don't last long in the hot Georgia sun.

Once Zaino got the wetness of carnauba down in its Z-5 and Z-2 products then I switched as the maintenance is easier.

I also am a big fan of the Zaino Z-PC polish although this is an area where Megs shines like in M105 and M205 pro polishes.

The 1Z and P21S lines are also good.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Most of the detailing crap on the internet is overpriced and a lot seems to be from the same suppliers.

I've had good luck here: www.chemicalguys.com

Nope, Zaino and P21S make their own stuff. I have tried all the CG products. Terrible stuff.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most of this stuff is mail order - see the links I posted above. The chemicals found in the stores are not state of the art, the Turtle Wax products are especially bad. The Megs waxes are terrible.

Avril does an okay job but nothing near the quality of a professional detailer.

Gnatty, let me know if you want some samples of the Zaino products to try. What kind of car paint (car model, color, metallic or not, etc.) do you have? I could create some recommendations, even help you polish the finish if you want.

Thanks man, sounds like I am doing just abotu everything wrong, down to the brands of stuff I am using! If you could give me some mail order recs, that'd be terrific. Car is an M3, silverstone, which is not really a metallic.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Thanks man, sounds like I am doing just abotu everything wrong, down to the brands of stuff I am using! If you could give me some mail order recs, that'd be terrific. Car is an M3, silverstone, which is not really a metallic.

Are you still in Greater Atlanta? I have a sample of Z-2 Pro which is perfect on silverstone. Welcome to try it. BMW paint has a soft clearcoat which is easy to polish. You are welcome to drop by and use the Porter Cable polisher if you want...

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you still in Greater Atlanta? I have a sample of Z-2 Pro which is perfect on silverstone. Welcome to try it. BMW paint has a soft clearcoat which is easy to polish. You are welcome to drop by and use the Porter Cable polisher if you want...

Unfortunately (or fortunately, given how terrible traffic was getting), I moved about a year ago. Links might be better if you wouldn't mind. Thanks again.

mikeman

Reaction score
Ordered some Zaino products the otherday.I will report back after I use them.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe someone in this thread can point me in the right direction. I bought a new vehicle recently, and I've noticed that the headliner is dirty. Lots of hand prints, and the like, all over it. Does anyone have any experience cleaning a headliner? It's driving me nuts, but I'm afraid to do anything about it for fear that I'll damage it.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Maybe someone in this thread can point me in the right direction. I bought a new vehicle recently, and I've noticed that the headliner is dirty. Lots of hand prints, and the like, all over it. Does anyone have any experience cleaning a headliner? It's driving me nuts, but I'm afraid to do anything about it for fear that I'll damage it.

A mixture of water and Woolite 50:50 sprayed into the headliner has worked for me in the past. Blot dry with a plush microfiber towel.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A mixture of water and Woolite 50:50 sprayed into the headliner has worked for me in the past. Blot dry with a plush microfiber towel.

Great idea, thanks! No problems with messing up the glue or anything when doing this?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Great idea, thanks! No problems with messing up the glue or anything when doing this?

Not in my experience but I would test a small inconspicuous area first just to make sure. You might also try a 3:1 or 5:1 mix of water to Woolite to be extra safe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads