1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Capris for men, aka "manpris"

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Daseinflaw, Apr 11, 2011.

1. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

The attitudes of what's acceptable for male fashion in the US has become very constrained over the last 100 years. Take for example what's commonly accepted for the neckline of a t-shirt....

WOMEN: Crew neck, v-neck, scoop neck, boat neck, u-neck, etc.

MEN: Crew neck

Occasionally v-necks are considered acceptable for men, but generally only if the neck line is so high up that it nearly resembles a crew neck. Look at BR v-neck tees for an example of what it has to look like in order to avoid being mocked by the "that's gay" crowd within some social circles.

Japanese fashion is more interesting since it is not as heavily constrained.

1 person likes this.
  2. *#..

*#.. Well-Known Member

I could never wear capris... [​IMG]

3. imschatz

imschatz Well-Known Member

I roll up my khakis into capris when its hot.. I like the look
    +1 .. also significantly less gay.

4. liamh

liamh Member

Those posted by the OP look stupid

5. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

bb1 I saw your avatar and knew in a moment that you would somehow turn this thread from the topic to pro japan love [​IMG]

6. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

bb1 I saw your avatar and knew in a moment that you would somehow turn this thread from the topic to pro japan love [​IMG]

He's kind of correct in this case, though. "Mainstream" Japanese fashion is a lot more varied and forgiving. Capris can look good or bad; to call them universally "gay" is ridiculous.

7. ataru

ataru Well-Known Member

I think the larger number of wearers of 3/4 or 4/5 pants in Japan is directly connected to their dislike of shorts. Shorts are part of the school uniform for kindergarteners, and that association seems to be very hard to get around.

8. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Maybe ok for young guys on the beach or such. I saw a middle-aged dude w/his college-aged son in Ikea a couple years ago, both wearing capris. The son didn't look great, but he could get away with it because of his relative youth. The old man looked like an idiot.

9. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Well-Known Member

No on capris and OP's pic is atrocious, but the rolled khakis look can definitely work if you're in a more fashion-forward location. I think it can look good but I wouldn't dare try to pull it off in a place as anti-style/anti-fashion as DC. I've seen better but this was what I could find in a random search:

[​IMG]

10. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

as previously mentioned, if you want an example of good use of cropped pants see every single one of mellowfellow's fits.

11. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

lol @ rolled up khakis with a sweater

12. Curious_George

Curious_George Well-Known Member

What practical advantage do they have over shorts? If it's hot enough to want to expose your legs you're probably better off in shorts and if it's not you're probably better off in pants you can roll up or down. I guess I don't see any need for them since they often look worse than either shorts or pants would in a given situation.

13. Suicmez

Suicmez Well-Known Member

False. Shorts look really bad most of the time.
    I'd definitely prefer a pair of tapered pants like that last picture had.

But agreed with unc, that chunky sweater with rolled chinos is pretty lol worthy.
    Must subscribe to urban aesthestics

14. Mr. White

Mr. White Well-Known Member

15. pvrhye

pvrhye Well-Known Member

The attitudes of what's acceptable for male fashion in the US has become very constrained over the last 100 years. Take for example what's commonly accepted for the neckline of a t-shirt....

WOMEN: Crew neck, v-neck, scoop neck, boat neck, u-neck, etc.

MEN: Crew neck

Occasionally v-necks are considered acceptable for men, but generally only if the neck line is so high up that it nearly resembles a crew neck. Look at BR v-neck tees for an example of what it has to look like in order to avoid being mocked by the "that's gay" crowd within some social circles.

I'm like a woolly mammoth from the neck down. Chest hair might be your answer as to why the Japanese can get away with showing more chest. In all my time in Korea, I've yet to see a dude who looks like he was born in a Hemingway sweater, thus the lower cut tees have a place.

16. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Prefer the look of rolled-up chinos or similar pants - if they have a proper taper going, it looks good. Agree with Uncontrol - calling 3/4s universally gay is a pretty awful way of putting it. Good looks with capris exist (even in the US), they're just exceedingly rare.

Yes, Japanese dudes go nuts for capris during the summer. I prefer shorts or the aforementioned chinos in a light fabric, but I certainly don't walk around thinking everyone looks gay (that would qualify literally 30-40% of under-30 guys you see on the streets in Japan during the hotter months).

17. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

why does something being constrained make it less interesting?

re: capris, i like loose linen ones with a draw string when lounging about in summer.

18. aeglus

aeglus Well-Known Member

as previously mentioned, if you want an example of good use of cropped pants see every single one of mellowfellow's fits.

that doesn't work because he's also cropped [​IMG]

we're talking about stuff that goes at least shin level, not ankle

19. TheDroog

TheDroog Well-Known Member

Capris for men are alright; they just fit into that category of clothes that most companies produce awfully and people pull of horribly. Think cargo shorts and black dress shirts.

I google searched and only found these decent pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure if it means anything, but Nadal and James are world-class athletes who can look good in anything. But they wear it sporty and casual, and it works for their physiques.

20. drum

drum Well-Known Member

Where do you live? Unless it's a deep v-neck that extends halfway down your sternum, I haven't met anyone who thinks v-necks are gay. Wide u-necks are a different story however.