1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

canon s90, best p&s?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mfais, Sep 24, 2009.

1. maomao1980

maomao1980 Well-Known Member

- Meh.. Reviews are like the internet fora .. Nothing beats real world personal experience.
    - I tried to love my DL4, but it just never cut it for me.. In fact I found that he DL3 was better?

I thought the DL4 is not a bad camera but it's got a bad lense, waaaaaaaaay too much barrel distortion.

2. Smahatma

Smahatma Well-Known Member

I didn't realize the GR Digital III is almost the same size as the S90. I figured it was as big as the EP-1 / GF1.

[​IMG]

Also, I read the two use the exact same sensor. Is the GRD worth the extra ~$300 in that case?

3. yfyf

yfyf Well-Known Member

I didn't realize the GR Digital III is almost the same size as the S90. I figured it was as big as the EP-1 / GF1.

[​IMG]

Also, I read the two use the exact same sensor. Is the GRD worth the extra ~$300 in that case?

The lens on the GRD is nice. f/1.9 and decently wide. I do love the dual dial control system on the GRD. Still, 300 bucks more is a lot of money and the S90 looks like a very good camera in its own right.

4. Maximillion

Maximillion Well-Known Member

Hm. What if my GRD is to big/heavy for some tasks (like taking it to the restaurant in my jacket). Is there a decent
    - fixed lens
    - low light (>= f2.0)
    - ultra ultra compact
    option available?

Canon-Ken likes the Canon SD780 - but I don't want a Zoom. Any idea PG?

Thanks.

Max

5. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Well-Known Member

Have any SF'er posted S90 pictures?

6. yfyf

yfyf Well-Known Member

Have any SF'er posted S90 pictures?

Blofeld

7. PolePosition

PolePosition Well-Known Member

Canon SD880 IS... for a compact P&S you really can't beat it. Its been beating out the competition in test after test for the past couple of years.

8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s90.htm

thoughts on this?

well i've handled the s90 and took some shots with it. its basically a stripped down g11 with a faster lens. whats great is the flash pops up and retracts automatically by motor. plus the form factor is really really good because it fits into pants pockets (normal fitting pants mind you not skinny jeans) and has that automatic lens cover too.

as for ken rockwell, his hyperbole still is totally annoying. like how he totally dismissed the lx3/dlux4 because he didn't take the time to learn how to use it. but he still contradicts himself because he mentions that in order to fully utilize a camera's potential then you should know it inside out.

i have the lx3 and if you learn from the various online user guides (www.lbguides.com is probably the best for pure spoonfeeding learning) then using that small joystick/quickmenu is really really fast and becomes second nature.

like the adjustment rings on the s90 are really great and fast, but you can actually control the whole lx3 just using your right hand/thumb totally manually once you know what you're doing.

the one thing i can say about the s90 (and a huge population of lx3 users) is that it will be too much/expensive of a camera for people's needs.

they'll be seduced by the positive user/blog/internet reviews thinking that its a dslr alternative when the best part of these camera's is the way you can fully manually tweak settings to your hearts content.... so the majority will just be spending $400 on something a simple $150-200 Point and shoot camera would do.

kind of like what is happening to new GF1/EP1 users.... lol spending $700-900 for a bulkier camera used exclusively in Intelligent Auto mode permanently.

9. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

The S90 needs better video.

Frankly, I think this whole market will be eaten by a combo of cell phones and EVILs.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I have become swayed by the Sigma DP series. Some photos from the DP1 with minimal processing from RAW to jpeg: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. arced

arced Well-Known Member

Sorry to bump an old thread...

I was all set to buy this a couple months ago, but I hesitated. Now, I'm in the market for a quality p&s that very portable. Is this still one of the better choice, or has something better come along?

12. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

I'm kind of in the market as well. I was looking into the Sony WX1, seems to be very good though without a lot of the control of the s90. Cheaper too.

13. aleksandr

aleksandr Well-Known Member

Not sure what has come out recently, but I got my S90 at the end of last year and I'm loving it. Poor dSLR never gets any action anymore. Not sure if you can do better than the S90 for a compact P&S, but you definitely can do a lot worse.

14. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Well-Known Member

Re-resurrecting this thread.

For anyone still interested in the S90, I can vouch that it is an absolutely fantastic camera. I've used it on a few trips now, and almost always in full manual mode. I agree that if one is going to use it in auto mode or program mode he's better off buying a Digital Elph for half the price but if you want to really play with the manual settings, this camera can do amazing things and the interface and various control rings make it a joy to use.

For what it's worth, I believe PG mentioned on his blog a few weeks back that of the three camera in his normal "rotation" (Leica M8, Lumix GF1, S90) it's the M8 and the S90 to which he's most partial. Granted, it's not gospel but I think he takes great photos and thus think that's a pretty solid endorsement.

15. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Well-Known Member

Has anyone had a chance to play with the Samsung TL500 yet?

16. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen one in person until this week - fantastic little camera. Everything I've asked for in a compact - easy manual control in aperture-priority, fast AF, RAW.

Only thing I'd ask is make it a fixed lens 24/2 or even 24/2.8 so that the lens wouldn't extend out so far, but I understand that wouldn't sell.

I'm going to get one for myself this week.

17. UpperWestie

UpperWestie Well-Known Member

GF1 and S-90 user here. Cant beat that little workhorse. Best camera money can buy for the size.

18. Jekyll

Jekyll Well-Known Member

Are there any good P&S cameras that have viewfinders? I'd like to get something that's more portable than my slr, but I hate holding the camera way out in front of me to use the lcd. It's much less stable.

19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

Are there any good P&S cameras that have viewfinders? I'd like to get something that's more portable than my slr, but I hate holding the camera way out in front of me to use the lcd. It's much less stable.

the canon g11 has a viewfinder, it doesn't look through the actual lens though, and the g11 has a fully articulating screen.

the g11 is still a pretty large camera though where it will only fit into large jacket pockets.

20. NSGRBO

NSGRBO Member

Ive had a few smaller cameras over the last few years in addition to my dSLR's (I'm a full time photographer) just to take around to snap casual pictures when out with friends etc. Ive owned the G9, G11 and now the s90. As far as portability goes, the s90 wins hands down. Its light, small and fits in a back pocket. Picture quality I would have to give to the g-series cams, its negligible though. I think the s90 is best for candid shots out with friends. Howwever, If I was going on vacation I would probably take both the G9 and my 5dmk2 and leave the s90 at home, its a little fragile compare to the others.