1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Canali

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cesare, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Cesare

Cesare Member

I recently purchased a Canali suit with which I am quite content. However, since it was a pretty costly suit for my standards (1100 euro) I was wondering what else was available in this price class since I am looking for another suit.

2. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

Check out this thread for Good general info on Suits/Shoes etc. http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....l=shoes Now...When you need ties or shirts for those suits... [​IMG] JJF

3. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Well-Known Member

I like Canali suits. Well made and lower cost than other well marketed italian suits. However, Canali's styling is not for everyone I think (straight shoulder).

4. Cesare

Cesare Member

That was my impression too, the quality of the suit seems to be a bit better than Corneliani. I look the look better, it seems to me that Canali has a more 'modern' look than most suits. Also I like the fact that nothing is fused.

But I was wondering how it stands up versus other 1100 euro suits. That's about 1400 US Dollars at the current exchange rate I think.

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

I Think Canali are decent, but if you are paying full retail for suits, that is fairly unusual on this forum... for E1100 you can get awesome suits from various sources (discounters)

6. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

Try Faconnable

7. Cesare

Cesare Member

How come no one buys full retail on suits on this forum? Everybody just buys from E-bay or something? I would hate to do that, I'd like to feel a suit and to try it on etc.

Where I am from we also don't have to many discounters.

8. drizzt3117

People don't buy at full retail for the most part because either they want to get higher quality clothing for the same price or pay less for the same item. Personally I try on items in retail stores and buy them on ebay or at a discounter, I don't think I've ever purchased anything online that didn't fit correctly.

9. drizzt3117

For reference, for the $1400 you mentioned, I have purchased two Brioni and two Belvest suits and had them altered, and purchased two Attolini and two T&A shirts, with spare change for a Brioni and Barbera tie as well.

10. Cesare

Cesare Member

That does sound like a great deal, but are those suits new/used? And how do you go about buying in that way. Simply try it on in the store and hope that the suit on Ebay has roughly the same fit?

11. drizzt3117

Of those particular suits, two were NWT and two were lightly used. I don't have a problem at all purchasing used suits, in fact, I prefer it, as the prices are substantially lower, and unless you are buying bespoke/custom suits, it's likely that the garment you are looking at was tried on probably dozens of times by prior visitors to boutiques. One dry cleaning nad you are usually good to go.

You need to know your measurements and you will usually be able to purchase clothing on ebay w/o issues, as long as you purchase from reputable buyers.

12. seok

seok Well-Known Member

bluefly.com Canalis supplied by Riflessi NYC?

I was having a conversation today with Aedo, the owner, and I mentioned some Canali and Cerruti Shapes suits I saw on bluefly.com which I found in his store as well. He claims that Riflessi supplies bluefly.com with some suits.

Not sure how reliable the information is, but seeing that the same suits were being sold at higher prices on bluefly.com, sounds plausible. ...removes my need to ever buy a suit off the website...

13. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

I love Canali and find it one of the best bargains out there. I recently picked up a summer tan glen plaid at Saks Off 5th for $435. It's really hard to find a better suit at that price.
    I'd even pay up to $800 for a Canali, if it was exactly what I wanted, fit me perfect, and the store owner had a good layaway plan, where I could pay on it over 3 months, so as not to put the whole thing on a credit card or pay cash.

But at 1kplus, I don't think Canali is a great deal, and agree you can do better on Ebay. Make sure you know your measurements when buying off Ebay, and you will do fine.

14. uppercase

uppercase Well-Known Member

For the experienced ebay buyers:
    what is the economic reason that the new clothes are so steeply discounted?
    Are they end of season, or previous years model, or overstock...?
    Are the ebay sellers sourcing the clothes from major US retailers at end of season or at the factory from overstock?
    The economics of ebay is very interesting and I would appreciate any insight, particularly from the ebay sellers.
    Ofcourse, everyone loves a bargain, but what is the trade off?

15. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Well-Known Member

Most of the stuff I have flipped is from a previous season or the previous year. I've never noticed any downside. I refuse to sell things that look at all dated. For example, the Belvest suits from Louis Boston that I sold on Ebay are the exact same cut as the ones currently in Louis selling for about 5 times what I sold mine for on Ebay.

Ebay flipping is a bit of a talent -- you've gotta live in the right place, and time the further discounts just right.

16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I've gotta add that you have to know your market too. If I am trying to flip a specialty brand (eg. Belvest, Corneliani, etc...) I often make an offer here first, to avoid Ebay fees. And you need to be aware of what sells and what doesn't. Some things are obvious. A white or pale blue Borrelli double button cuff is a sure thing, a peach shirt, not so much. Some things you have to have an eye for. My basic premise is that if I wouldn't personally recommend it, I generally wouldn't sell it. Therefore, Distressed laceups (btw, Johnnynorman, you poached those Varvatos from me, you rascal) will sell much better than shiny boots, textured casual jackets better than long, smooth finish coats, and so on. And so brands, although pretty decent, never do well: Schneiders comes immediately to mind.

17. johnnynorman3

LA Guy gives the best advice -- know your market.

That means (1) do research before you start flipping, (2) be aware that you will get better as you go, and (3) don't get into markets that you don't know.

After almost a year of flipping, I can go into several stores in the Boston area and at any particular time and guarantee that I can walk out with anywhere from $50 to $500 in profit (sometimes more) about half the time.

18. modsquad

modsquad Well-Known Member

Cesare,

I am sympathetic to your skepticism of e-bay. These amazing bargains that everyone gets start to sound like Elvis sitings after a while. In fairness, I don't give e-bay nearly the scrutiny that some of the board members do. But the decent stuff in my size (39L - 40L) is so sparse and the competition for it is so fierce that it isn't worth the effort.

19. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I usually don't like to flip - it's a hassle, and not really my thing, but within the last couple of months, to defray the costs of travelling to and from the West Coast, I've flipped for a profit of about $700-800 - on a total of 5 items, not including jeans (another $125 or so, Ebay and paypal fees already deducted.) Not hard to do if you know the your sources and your markets well. Most of all, don't get greedy. Except for high end jeans, which are a cash cow if you know the market (and I think I do,) I will never flip anything I don't think I can reasonably get 100% profit on, 66% if it is a big ticket item. Anything less than that is a waste of your time, effort, and often a sunk cost.

It's like playing poker, really. Know when to hold 'em. know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run.

20. johnnynorman3

I don't think in terms of percentages. I think in terms of absolute dollars. If I see a $5 tie that I can sell for $11, I'm not going to flip that. If I see a $500 suit that I can flip for $700, I will absolutely flip it, unless I'm really time crunched. My computer is in my living room and I can post a suit while sitting right next to my wife watching a sitcom.

But I never, ever try to flip anything that I think might not be able to sell for what I bought it for. I've never sold anything for a loss, and never returned to a store anything I was planning on flipping. And I've never sold anything I wouldn't sell to a customer if I were running a retail store.

I have sold one thing -- a Brioni sportcoat -- where after fees I merely broke even. But I bought the sportcoat because by buying it I earned a $150 gift card to the store I bought it from, which means it was really like earning a $150 profit (since I shop there regularly).

The deals on Ebay are real. It's not like shopping a retail store, for sure. But it is more often than not better than shopping at the outlets.