• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadian Vs American Tastes

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
"Canadians tend to be slower with a preference for outdoor looks"

Fixed....and agreed. Explains the Canadian Tuxedo

rob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The phrase, "smoked meats," is required to be in any Canadian thread, so I hereby submit it formally.

As long as I'm here and we're talking about J. Crew, I think that Banana Republic should change the fruit in the name to the indigenous fruit of the locale in which the BR store is located.

So, in Canada, it would be called, Donut Republic.

Opinions?

- B

Tim Horton approved.
smile.gif

rob

Reaction score
We are such an easy target, I'm surprised that more isn't made of it.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We like sugar pie and beaver.

Oh wait that's the same thing.

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rob
We are such an easy target, I'm surprised that more isn't made of it.

It would seem that the collective IQ of our fair country went up about 40 points the day you left.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The phrase, "smoked meats," is required to be in any Canadian thread, so I hereby submit it formally.

As long as I'm here and we're talking about J. Crew, I think that Banana Republic should change the fruit in the name to the indigenous fruit of the locale in which the BR store is located.

So, in Canada, it would be called, Donut Republic.

Opinions?

- B

Just remember where your oil is coming from in the next few years my friend.

KenN

Reaction score
The outdoor chic thing is really big in Canada, the Mountain Equipment Coop style can be seen everywhere. Outside of the bigger Canadian cities, I can't see how American stores like J Crew or Brooks Brothers can survive, there is not enough demand and population density to support those types of stores. However places like Toronto will welcome a J Crew with open arms, I think I saw a BB in Toronto a while back, so if BB is sustainable, J Crew will be too.

Syl

Reaction score
facepalm.gif

Trying to define a "Canadian" style would be about as successful as trying to define an "American" style which is inclusive of Utah, NY and California.

There are differences between downtown and suburbs, much less city to city and province to province (or state to state if you will).

stylemeup

Reaction score
When I first came to this forum in hopes of learning how to acquire good clothing, I was told that Canada is mostly a wasteland in terms of having any to offer, with the exceptions of Holt Renfrew and Harry Rosen, which offer good clothing at ludicrous prices.

Therefore, I don't see how Canadians can be seen as being slower to purchase good clothing considering that they don't have much opportunity to buy any in Canada.

Moreover, for those reasons, I find this quotation highly confusing:

with a preference for higher-quality goods
If Canadians have a preference for higher-quality goods, then why do very few places in Canada sell any!

Why do I have to buy all my good clothes on sf and eBAY?

It sure would be nice if Canada had stores like Daffy's etc. where I can buy high-quality clothing for cheap prices.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
That is very uniquely Canadian style. Is it Made in China?

Watching that picture, I fancy a bit of maple sirup now...
laugh.gif

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Syl
facepalm.gif
Trying to define a "Canadian" style would be about as successful as trying to define an "American" style which is inclusive of Utah, NY and California. There are differences between downtown and suburbs, [to say nothing of one city or province compared to the next].

Win.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads