1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Canadian Vs American Tastes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by L.R., Jul 30, 2010.

1. TheButler

TheButler Well-Known Member

Don't be hating on Canada.

[​IMG]

2. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Well-Known Member

Don't be hating on Canada.

[​IMG]

That is very uniquely Canadian style. Is it Made in China?

3. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Well-Known Member

The phrase, "smoked meats," is required to be in any Canadian thread, so I hereby submit it formally.

As long as I'm here and we're talking about J. Crew, I think that Banana Republic should change the fruit in the name to the indigenous fruit of the locale in which the BR store is located.

So, in Canada, it would be called, Donut Republic.

Opinions?

- B

Just remember where your oil is coming from in the next few years my friend.

4. literasyme

literasyme Well-Known Member

5. KenN

KenN Well-Known Member

The outdoor chic thing is really big in Canada, the Mountain Equipment Coop style can be seen everywhere. Outside of the bigger Canadian cities, I can't see how American stores like J Crew or Brooks Brothers can survive, there is not enough demand and population density to support those types of stores. However places like Toronto will welcome a J Crew with open arms, I think I saw a BB in Toronto a while back, so if BB is sustainable, J Crew will be too.

6. Syl

Syl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Trying to define a "Canadian" style would be about as successful as trying to define an "American" style which is inclusive of Utah, NY and California.

There are differences between downtown and suburbs, much less city to city and province to province (or state to state if you will).

7. stylemeup

stylemeup Well-Known Member

When I first came to this forum in hopes of learning how to acquire good clothing, I was told that Canada is mostly a wasteland in terms of having any to offer, with the exceptions of Holt Renfrew and Harry Rosen, which offer good clothing at ludicrous prices.

Therefore, I don't see how Canadians can be seen as being slower to purchase good clothing considering that they don't have much opportunity to buy any in Canada.

Moreover, for those reasons, I find this quotation highly confusing:

If Canadians have a preference for higher-quality goods, then why do very few places in Canada sell any!

Why do I have to buy all my good clothes on sf and eBAY?

It sure would be nice if Canada had stores like Daffy's etc. where I can buy high-quality clothing for cheap prices.

8. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

That is very uniquely Canadian style. Is it Made in China?

Watching that picture, I fancy a bit of maple sirup now...[​IMG]

9. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Trying to define a "Canadian" style would be about as successful as trying to define an "American" style which is inclusive of Utah, NY and California. There are differences between downtown and suburbs, [to say nothing of one city or province compared to the next].
    Win.

10. somatoform

somatoform Well-Known Member

Just remember where your oil is coming from in the next few years my friend.

And your water.

And your garbage.

11. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Would someone be so kind as to remind me where Canada is?

It's somewhere by South Dakota, right?

[​IMG]

- B

12. George

George Well-Known Member

Would someone be so kind as to remind me where Canada is? It's somewhere by South Dakota, right? [​IMG] - B
    It's the place where Ginger Ale comes from.

13. Tigris

Tigris Well-Known Member

Canada is America's hat.

I vote yes on bringing J Crew to Vancouver.

14. Amiens

Amiens Well-Known Member

Canada is the country that the US invaded whilst the British Army was otherwise engaged, with the result that Wasington D.C. was captured and burnt down.

15. Chargersfan

Chargersfan Well-Known Member

Would someone be so kind as to remind me where Canada is?

It's somewhere by South Dakota, right?

[​IMG]

- B

It's funny, there was a time when I would be combative if an American said that...but the US is in such sad shape nowadays that I just chuckle.

Just do me a favour and keep those bars and restaurants open for me until I decide to bless you with my presence again.

16. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

Canada is where Obama got his health care plan idea from. [​IMG]

17. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

It's funny, there was a time when I would be combative if an American said that...but the US is in such sad shape nowadays that I just chuckle.

Just do me a favour and keep those bars and restaurants open for me until I decide to bless you with my presence again.

You will always be welcome as all our brothers from the Americas, but I have to say that the term "mountie" sounds unfortunately passive.

Just sayin'.

- B

18. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Well-Known Member

I'd agree with Bill Smith. Definitely more Eurotrash. Made in China "Italian" suits and pointy shoes. At least when people aren't wearing MEC/Lululemon. BB was a godsend, at least to try things on before you order off the website.

19. closetmess

closetmess Well-Known Member

As a Canadian relocated to Colorado, I dare say I long for my Toronto boutiques everyday while wading through the American concept of a size small down here. Boxy shirts and pleats for everybody! And this in the "fittest" state in America...

20. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

As a Canadian relocated to Colorado, I dare say I long for my Toronto boutiques everyday while wading through the American concept of a size small down here. Boxy shirts and pleats for everybody! And this in the "fittest" state in America...
    Well, they love their mountains in CO. Nothing like driving your SUV to the peak of Pikes Peak to have a little stop-off in the visitors center on a fourteener!