• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canada Goose

chet31

Reaction score

As someone from Toronto, I can confirm the Canada Goose situation here is well beyond trendy and it's just in pure overkill mode now. I agree it's best not to concern one's self with what other people are wearing and if other people have the same things, but when you see these jackets literally EVERYWHERE it just gets a bit much. Go to a mall and it feels like every third person is wearing one. The worst part is that is being worn more as a fashion piece now than as a winter jacket.....which is kind of sad since they really are fantastic jackets. Kids are wearing these in weather where you barely need a light Spring/Fall jacket. And they're now the jacket of choice for the Von Dutch/Ed Hardy crowd if you get what I mean.

If I lived somewhere where they weren't beyond saturated, I would buy one in a second, but living in Toronto I just couldn't anymore.

It's the same way here in Madison w/ TNF.

bobbyz

Reaction score
As someone from Toronto, I can confirm the Canada Goose situation here is well beyond trendy and it's just in pure overkill mode now. I agree it's best not to concern one's self with what other people are wearing and if other people have the same things, but when you see these jackets literally EVERYWHERE it just gets a bit much. Go to a mall and it feels like every third person is wearing one. The worst part is that is being worn more as a fashion piece now than as a winter jacket.....which is kind of sad since they really are fantastic jackets. Kids are wearing these in weather where you barely need a light Spring/Fall jacket. And they're now the jacket of choice for the Von Dutch/Ed Hardy crowd if you get what I mean.

If I lived somewhere where they weren't beyond saturated, I would buy one in a second, but living in Toronto I just couldn't anymore.

As a Canadian, I agree that there are lots of CG jackets around. Stores are always running out of sizes and colors and rarely have sales because of how many people are buying them. That said, I dabbled in a number of varying winter jackets for years and I would usually replace them every year or two because they just weren't very warm, wore themselves out or just didn't look that great. This year, its been bone chilling cold in these parts and I couldn't be more grateful for my CG which is going strong for year 3.

To me the debate came down to the same argument behind wearing a "fashionable winter boot" (which I found was very difficult to find i.e keeps you warm in extreme cold without looking clunky or ugly). When it gets to -30, I'm looking to stay warm when I'm outside and CG is doing the trick..

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When it gets to -30, I'm looking to stay warm when I'm outside and CG is doing the trick.

that's where i'm at. even if CG has become incredibly popular I don't particularly care what people think. I researched a lot of down coats and CG keeps making it to the top of the list. i've already said it before but my North Face Gotham coat really sucks. when it dips below zero here this coat does nothing to keep me warm, even with an underlayer. I'm definitely investing in a CG Chilliwack next :nodding:

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Count me in as another one who doesn't care what other people wear or think. Was out ice-skating over the last few days in temperatures like -15 to -20, and I was very happy with my coat.

chet31

Reaction score
A few styles of CG are on sale on "Beyond the Rack" website, nothing huge, $120 - $150 off list.

Edit: And Nobis coats are on sale on the same site.

Last edited:

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the same way here in Madison w/ TNF.

I think the difference between TNF and CG is that with TNF people are paying for the brand name, whereas with CG, people are paying for quality and reputation. I know a lot of you from Canada would disagree with this but that's how I see it.

Last edited:

Raindrop

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't really compare..TNF Gotham can go for as low as $130 whereas a Chilliwack Bomber ($595) will never go on sale in Canada and the price goes up every year (roughly ~10%).

I do agree with you on the quality part though. I just wish they'd remove the logo on the arm.

Last edited:

joeyo35

Reaction score
Hi all, I live in Australia and am interested in ordering a CG jacket, does anyone know the best way to do this. It does not appear there any official retailers in Oz, and stocks seem very limited on US and Canada websites. Any info much appreciated. Cheers

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hi all, I live in Australia and am interested in ordering a CG jacket, does anyone know the best way to do this. It does not appear there any official retailers in Oz, and stocks seem very limited on US and Canada websites. Any info much appreciated. Cheers

Do you get winter, actual proper winter with below 0C down there?

Fashion Fan

Reaction score
I can agree with the above poster that for the Expedition parka in particular you have to size down 2 sizes to get your normal size. I'm 5'11 180lb Semi gym rat build and I usually wear a medium in most packets and sometimes large but in canada goose I had to track down an XS. I know it may sound odd but it's true also for the poster who said it's supposed to be puffy. Yes it is bu theirs a fine line between puffy and oversized in which alot of air gets through underneath and you look like the hamburgler from the Mcdonalds commercials.

If a good fit means to you the seams of the shoulders align with the ends of your shoudlers I would reccomend sizing down 2 from your original size to anyone wishing to purchase the expedition parka.

NormanF

Reaction score
If you look on Back Country's TradeGear discount site, you can get a Canada Goose Coat several years old for 50-70% off the original retail price - a good buy in my opinion.

I have a GC Chilliwack Bomber with a Merino Wool shell - retail price was $700, I picked it up for $250. So you need to know where to look for a bargain.

Last edited:

NormanF

Reaction score
I can agree with the above poster that for the Expedition parka in particular you have to size down 2 sizes to get your normal size. I'm 5'11 180lb Semi gym rat build and I usually wear a medium in most packets and sometimes large but in canada goose I had to track down an XS. I know it may sound odd but it's true also for the poster who said it's supposed to be puffy. Yes it is bu theirs a fine line between puffy and oversized in which alot of air gets through underneath and you look like the hamburgler from the Mcdonalds commercials.

If a good fit means to you the seams of the shoulders align with the ends of your shoudlers I would reccomend sizing down 2 from your original size to anyone wishing to purchase the expedition parka.

Rule of thumb: with the Expedition Parka go a size or two down from the size you usually wear - they run large. Chilliwack Bombers run small so go a size or two up from your normal size.

hrb

Reaction score

As a Canadian, I agree that there are lots of CG jackets around. Stores are always running out of sizes and colors and rarely have sales because of how many people are buying them. That said, I dabbled in a number of varying winter jackets for years and I would usually replace them every year or two because they just weren't very warm, wore themselves out or just didn't look that great. This year, its been bone chilling cold in these parts and I couldn't be more grateful for my CG which is going strong for year 3.

To me the debate came down to the same argument behind wearing a "fashionable winter boot" (which I found was very difficult to find i.e keeps you warm in extreme cold without looking  clunky or ugly). When it gets to -30, I'm looking to stay warm when I'm outside and CG is doing the trick..

I have to agree with the gentleman from Toronto. I am in Vancouver, where a down jacket is required twice a year. Maybe. The argument for keeping warm here is completely moot and every 3rd person downtown is wearing one at the moment. It has turned into an over saturated fashion piece and people are wearing them in the sun, rain, and well, more rain. I very much appreciate the brand having worked in the exploration industry for a number of years and these jackets - which are incredibly high quality - are fantastic in cold weather. We used them in -30, -45 in the Yukon and NWT. In most cities they are a bit much 350 days of the year. In warmer climates, such as Vancouver, it is 100% a status, trend piece and it is ridiculous and off putting. However, I am looking forward to snagging a few on Ebay when the next fad comes along.

Last edited:

imschatz

Reaction score

I have to agree with the gentleman from Toronto. I am in Vancouver, where a down jacket is required twice a year. Maybe. The argument for keeping warm here is completely moot and every 3rd person downtown is wearing one at the moment. It has turned into an over saturated fashion piece and people are wearing them in the sun, rain, and well, more rain. I very much appreciate the brand having worked in the exploration industry for a number of years and these jackets - which are incredibly high quality - are fantastic in cold weather. We used them in -30, -45 in the Yukon and NWT. In most cities they are a bit much 350 days of the year. In warmer climates, such as Vancouver, it is 100% a status, trend piece and it is ridiculous and off putting. However, I am looking forward to snagging a few on Ebay when the next fad comes along.

Have to agree .. and I'm in Calgary. Even here .. it really only gets cold enough to justify a Canada Goose jacket .. maybe 5-10 days a year. You see people wearing them in above zero weather .. and my first thought is how the hell do they not burst into flames.

I'm from Regina .. there .. ya definitely need a decent jacket 40-60 days a year. Most people still wear shorts and a hoodie when its 20 below .. so I don't know. Maybe people on the prairies are just made better?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads