• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canada Goose

sdiver68

Reaction score
I have a confession to make - I'm actually a little bummed that this winter wasn't as cold as last winter. Just because I've enjoyed being out in my CG coat so much.

Here's my confession. I took advantage of the sale and lifetime returns at Altrec.com to get the North Face Stone Sentinel. It's like the McMurdo but sleeker. It's been cold and windy here, 17-30F with winds of 10-15mph the past couple of days and my TNF has been real warm. I've been wearing just a LS T-shirt underneath, no layering just for a warmth test, and even went for a walk at the park. Now my legs were cold through my jeans, and my hands a bit wearing just Polartec gloves but everything else toasty warm.

Still looking for a great deal on a CG, but this coat gives me the luxury of time.

blairh

Reaction score

Here's my confession.  I took advantage of the sale and lifetime returns at Altrec.com to get the North Face Stone Sentinel.  It's like the McMurdo but sleeker.  It's been cold and windy here, 17-30F with winds of 10-15mph the past couple of days and my TNF has been real warm.  I've been wearing just a LS T-shirt underneath, no layering just for a warmth test, and even went for a walk at the park.  Now my legs were cold through my jeans, and my hands a bit wearing just Polartec gloves but everything else toasty warm.

Still looking for a great deal on a CG, but this coat gives me the luxury of time.

$165 at 6pm.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's my confession.  I took advantage of the sale and lifetime returns at Altrec.com to get the North Face Stone Sentinel.  It's like the McMurdo but sleeker.  It's been cold and windy here, 17-30F with winds of 10-15mph the past couple of days and my TNF has been real warm.  I've been wearing just a LS T-shirt underneath, no layering just for a warmth test, and even went for a walk at the park.  Now my legs were cold through my jeans, and my hands a bit wearing just Polartec gloves but everything else toasty warm.

Congratulations on owning a great coat! Winter is a much more pleasurable experience when you're not freezing your ass off.

NerdBird

Reaction score
I picked up a small Manitoba off of eBay and, imo, it fits me better than the medium. I'm 5'10, 170 lbs.

Small
s6kdww.jpg

Medium
bgp8as.jpg

Walt Thizzney

Reaction score
I own the stone sentiel too.... its amazing, great fit that huge your body and keeps you warm, hood that works and stays on, sleek cut, got it for a good deal too..... much better than mcmrudo

why do u want a canada goose so bad though, i think the stone sent is just as good if not better due to its nice cut and its WATERPROOF!!!! something canada gooses arnt

blairh

Reaction score

I own the stone sentiel too.... its amazing, great fit that huge your body and keeps you warm, hood that works and stays on, sleek cut, got it for a good deal too..... much better than mcmrudo

why do u want a canada goose so bad though, i think the stone sent is just as good if not better due to its nice cut and its WATERPROOF!!!! something canada gooses arnt

Not sure I'd go as far to say the Stone Sentinel is 'just as good' as a CG coat, but certainly when you compare the price of that coat to say a similar CG model with respect to look (the Constable) the SS wins for price and value. Constable still gets the nod for ribbed wrist cuffs and overall nicer looking coat IMO. But I totally see the sense in just buying a cheaper coat that should keep you just as warm. On top of that, CG is overpriced at retail IMO and it's going to get worse next season.

Last edited:

Walt Thizzney

Reaction score
Not sure I'd go as far to say the Stone Sentinel is 'just as good' as a CG coat, but certainly when you compare the price of that coat to say a similar CG model with respect to look (the Constable) the SS wins for price and value. Constable still gets the nod for ribbed wrist cuffs and overall nicer looking coat IMO. But I totally see the sense in just buying a cheaper coat that should keep you just as warm. On top of that, CG is overpriced at retail IMO and it's going to get worse next season.

yeah well the fact that the Stone Sentinel is waterproof makes it a much better coat for practical use...

blairh

Reaction score

yeah well the fact that the Stone Sentinel is waterproof makes it a much better coat for practical use...

Yeah I'd like to see CG make all their coats waterproof at some point. My dad's parka is waterproof. Very nice.

blairh

Reaction score
Authorized Canada Goose retailer ZB Sports has their CG gear on sale via their Amazon site. Includes Chilliwack, Constable, and Expedition. Just search for 'Canada Goose' in the search bar immediately above their items. (Not the main site search.)

Last edited:

NormanF

Reaction score
Here's my confession. I took advantage of the sale and lifetime returns at Altrec.com to get the North Face Stone Sentinel. It's like the McMurdo but sleeker. It's been cold and windy here, 17-30F with winds of 10-15mph the past couple of days and my TNF has been real warm. I've been wearing just a LS T-shirt underneath, no layering just for a warmth test, and even went for a walk at the park. Now my legs were cold through my jeans, and my hands a bit wearing just Polartec gloves but everything else toasty warm.

That's why guys wear thermal underwear to keep the legs warm and a fleece-lined jeans should block the cold and wind. I like leather sheepskin gloves to keep the hands warm in cold weather. Only downside to the Stone Sentinel is the faux fur hood trim. For a little more, they could have used a real coyote fur hood trim.

Last edited:

sdiver68

Reaction score
That's why guys wear thermal underwear to keep the legs warm and a fleece-lined jeans should block the cold and wind. I like leather sheepskin gloves to keep the hands warm in cold weather. Only downside to the Stone Sentinel is the faux fur hood trim. For a little more, they could have used a real coyote fur hood trim.

Notice I said for a warmth test, I purposely under dressed to test the coat. Real fur ruff would have the SPCA all over their Sh!#. Nice coyote ruffs can be found for $50 or less, $25 for a tailor to switch them out if you were really concerned. Of course now you have a $270 coat but 1 of a kind!

The only real downsides to the Stone Sentinel IMHO are the cuffs and logos if you can get past the made in China tag. The logos can be blacked out rather easily, the cuffs you just have to accept.

Last edited:

NormanF

Reaction score
Notice I said for a warmth test, I purposely under dressed to test the coat. Real fur ruff would have the SPCA all over their Sh!#. Nice coyote ruffs can be found for $50 or less, $25 for a tailor to switch them out if you were really concerned. Of course now you have a $270 coat but 1 of a kind!

The only real downsides to the Stone Sentinel IMHO are the cuffs and logos if you can get past the made in China tag. The logos can be blacked out rather easily, the cuffs you just have to accept.

Made In China is today good quality. All the major brands have their clothing made there, according to their specified design. You can still source domestic, you just have to pay a premium for it.

The North Face is related to JanSport, a well known outdoor goods manufacturer. You can't go wrong with the coat. You'd want to switch out the synthetic since natural fur doesn't freeze and seems to hold in more warmth in cold weather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads