1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Can You Recommend A Cologne For The "Sophisticated" Man

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Hey Man, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Well-Known Member

Maybe this would make things easier if we broke it down into catagories:

What cologne would you wear for extremely important business meetings, where you must give that good first impression?

What cologne would you wear to job interviews?

What cologne would you wear on a hot date?

Looking forward to these answers.

For a big meeting, I'd think a spray or two of Green Irish Tweed would be ok. Don't overdo it though, less is more in this situation. Nothing punchy, you want subtle. Others which make me feel "professional" are Bulgari Pour Homme, Gendarme , Dunhill (2003) and L'Artisan Navegar.

The conventional wisdom for job interviews is to wear absolutely nothing. There are a lot of people with negative associations w/r/t men's fragrance, and you want to give the impession of consummate professionalism, so its best to smell like nothing but soap. Also, you never know who is allergic to what, or whose cheating exhusband used to wear what. It's just a risk not worth taking. If you MUST wear something, go for one spray of those "barely there" skin musks that don't project worth a damn: Gendarme or CkBE (which is actually a surprisingly nice peachy, fuzzy musk) Its the same reasoning behind people saying "no paisley pocket squares and tan suede ankleboots to job interviews"

Like Drizzt, my wardrobe contains more than 50 different bottles, so there's no one cologne I wear for hot dates. That said, I usually reach for L'Artisan Dzing, Gucci Envy, YSL Rive Gauche, Helmut Lang Cuiron, john varvatos, DK Fuel, Rochas Man, Guerlain L'Instant, Dior Homme & Bulgari Black. These are all night-time ones for me, as they are too rich for sunlight (except rive gauche, which works anytime on me)

For those of you who have responded in this thread already, (and I am not suggesting this to the OP) what do you think of Gucci PH? I have it, I love the smell of it, but I fear smelling like it may be incongruous as I have no chest hair, no gold chains, well I do have driving gloves, but no Porsche, my tan is weak, etc. I wear it anyway sometimes because I don't really care that much, but I don't wear it to anything I do care about.

I also have Envy, but that's one that I only wear at nights, when I am already sure of how the night is going to go down. And only in cold weather.

J-
    Gucci PH is pretty great, actually. When Tom Ford helmed Gucci's frags, he seemed to be really into woody scents (Gucci Rush is even woodier than PH, earning the nickname "ol' hamstercage") and I find Gucci PH fascinating because it has this intense, punchy woodiness (the "freshly sharpened pencil" topnotes) followed by an almost preternaturally crystalline cleanliness. Its weird, so mulchy and organic on top and then almost chrome-like and polished underneath. Very very good stuff, and easily one of the best bottles in recent memory. Everyone should have it on their dresser, even if they never spray it, that's how handsome the flacon is.

Also, I'm with you on envy: On a summer's day, I'd find it waay to overpowering. Its almost exclusinvely a fall scent for me.

2. Joel_Cairo

Creed: GIT
    YSL: M7 Fresh or just the M7
    Armani: Mania
    Davidoff:Cool Water
    Bond No. 9: Central Park
    Armani: Emporio Armani

FYI, M7 can be tricky to find in stores, because it sold so poorly in the states (due in large part to this NSFW ad campaign). If you are in the states, you will also not be able to find m7 fresh anywhere, as distribtuion was pulled after just one season (YSL figured that since m7 was such a flop, there was no market for the flanker). Its now available only in Europe & Asia.

Armani Mania and Emporio (usually called "he") can be found at any Macys

to find Creeds & Bonds you'll have to go upmarket, to Nordstroms et al.

Davidoff Cool Water can be found at your local minimart.

3. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

For those of you who have responded in this thread already, (and I am not suggesting this to the OP) what do you think of Gucci PH? I have it, I love the smell of it, but I fear smelling like it may be incongruous as I have no chest hair

Hope lies here:

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Chest...ub_20for_20Men

4. cldpsu

cldpsu Well-Known Member

Knize Ten is what I wear whenever I put on my tux.

It was released in the 1920s and is a leathery, tobaccoy scent with some significant floral/citrus notes. To my mind it's sort of an Errol Flynn meets Bauhaus scent.

I also like the Green Irish Tweed recommendation. To me this is a casual-sophisticated scent: Old library, tweed jacket kind of thing.

For some things that you might find at a decent department store in the "opposite of Acqua di Gio" front:

Bulgari Black - This is a weird one, but I love it. Vanilla and tires. It smells much better than it sounds.

Angel Men (Thierry Mugler) - This one is also unique. It reminds me of dessert. Chocolaty and spicy. I go hot & cold on this one, but it always seems to elicit a positive reaction from those around me.

Bulgari black is great... i love it. Head gets stuck sometimes though. Dior homme is great too.

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

Creed: GIT
    YSL: M7 Fresh or just the M7
    Armani: Mania
    Davidoff:Cool Water
    Bond No. 9: Central Park
    Armani: Emporio Armani

Cool Water is analogous to Acqua di Gio. Fresh, clean, light, and used by every 18 y/o HS student. I'd pass.

Add MI to your Creed sampling list, and that should be OK.

The reason that most people don't use Creed colognes even though they've been around for a long time is because they cost $200-250 a bottle at retail. You can buy them online for about $100/btl but they're still very expensive.

6. etl

etl Well-Known Member

Hey Man,

You've already received some very good advice here re different scents.

Re your concerns about Green Irish Tweed: It's quite expensive and relatively difficult to come by (in relation to Armani, Hugo Boss, Gucci etc.) so there's little worry of running into your cologne on the street unless you're in very good company. At which point, you can't blame the other person for having equally great taste.

7. Hey Man

Hey Man Well-Known Member

Joel,

I live in Canada actually and I believe I did see M7 at a local cologne/fragrance store. I will have to confirm that. If it's not, what would be similar to it and common enough that you can find it anywhere?

8. Hey Man

drizzt3117,

$200-250 is a little much for me at this point when just starting out. I would have to be able to try it, so I wouldn't order online - unless I know that I love it. You mentioned the Bond No. 9: Central Park as being almost the same as GIT. What would be the price tag on that? Is there a cologne that is also almost the same as Creed's MI too? By the way, if you read the reviews for GIT at Basenotes, many say that it's very similar to Cool Water. What's your thoughts on that?

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

FWIW, you can get GIT (and others) for considerably less than retail on ebay. I'm not much of a fragrance guy, so I don't know whether there are significant counterfeiting concerns. As always on ebay, caveat emptor. E.g.:

GIT (regular and sample sizes):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/GREEN-IRISH-TWEE...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/GREEN-IRISH-TWEE...QQcmdZViewItem
    millesime (regular and sample)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Creed-Green-Iris...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Creed-GREEN-IRIS...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, if you're tempted to try a sample size, be sure to check the shipping charges to avoid getting screwed. The shipping charges on the sample GIT, for example, are about 400% of the item price.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Tabac Blond by Caron
    Knize Ten

Knize also used to have other scents but they don't seem to be available.

Also Robert Piguet's Bandit, Fracas, etc. also work for the "sophisticated man", if not moreso since they are complex scents ostensibly marketed towards women.

Chanel has Cuir de Russie, a re-released business.

11. Joel_Cairo

FWIW, you can get GIT (and others) for considerably less than retail on ebay. I'm not much of a fragrance guy, so I don't know whether there are significant counterfeiting concerns. As always on ebay, caveat emptor. E.g.:

There has been a tidal-wave of counterfeited GIT on ebay recently. Its to the point where many Basenoters are complaining that they can't sell their legit GIT bottles anymore because nobody will bid. Creed is the counterfeiters dream-come-true, because the retail is so high and all the bottles for all their scents are exactly the same, just different colors. All you need are some cheaply produced replicas and some spraypaint and you're in business. I'd be very careful buying Creed off ebay. If you wanna go online, try scentiments.com (I've bought half a dozen Creeds from them; they've all been legit grey market bottles diverted from the european or middle eastern markets)

Hey Guy: Bond no. 9 is, unfortunatly, in the same price class as Creeds. The best idea, IMO, is to go over to Basenotes' Buying & Selling board and ordering some samples or decants from a member there. You'll get a great price and they will be able to navigate canadian customs maze better than any e-tailer.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Another unique scent is Comme des Garcons's Avignon which smells like an old Catholic service.

13. Rolo

Rolo Well-Known Member

Aqua di Parma.
    A scent for men. [​IMG]

I've always thought this would make me smell like a ham.

14. LSeca

LSeca Well-Known Member

I don't want anything that smells like motor oil, really fruity or really musky, but just something that is masculine, compliments a nice suit and will impress when going to a job interview, business meeting or on a date. But still works with jeans and a t-shirt. As I already have the clean and fresh smelling cologne - I am looking for something that is the opposite of say Acqua Di Gio.

Polo green bottle. Leather, wood, tobacco and a little oakmoss are the fragrances used. It is a sophisticated and masculine scent, you can find it for around 50 dollars. It has been around a long time, but for good reason.

15. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

I've bought my Creed from theperfumespot.com, fragrancenet, or allshewants (perfumetogo) for the most part. All of them are authentic to my eye (and nose) \\

You can buy a 1.7 oz bottle of Bond No. 9 Central Park for $105 at Bluebee.

http://www.bluebee.com/product_displ...239&pn=1&st=28

16. etl

etl Well-Known Member

Joel, Thanks for the tip on Scentiments.

17. Joel_Cairo

Joel, Thanks for the tip on Scentiments.

no worries, they really are excellent. A frag-head friend of mine has toured their warehouse in Florida, and I really trust their operation. I consistently find them to be cheapest, though they don't do free shipping, so if you are buying a bunch of bottles, scentedmonkey can sometimes work out to less.

18. Hey Man

Well maybe I am not that sophisticated after all. NO cologne should cost $200 dollars or more, especially when you are paying more for the name than the actual scent, which you can more or less find similar versions for much cheaper. Until I become a cologne expert, I think I will stick to the famous brands that are found everywhere and don't cost the same as a small TV.

19. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

Polo green bottle. Leather, wood, tobacco and a little oakmoss are the fragrances used. It is a sophisticated and masculine scent, you can find it for around 50 dollars. It has been around a long time, but for good reason.

I second this suggestion. Polo green could be very cheap at Scentiments.
    polo stores recently started selling it again.
    polo Crest is very similar to Green bottle Polo and also very good smell.

I would higly recommend NOT to purchase colognes made by retailers such as Hugo Zegna Davidoff Calvin K, Kenneth Cole Tommy HFiger Dunhill Homedepot MarthaStuart Oprah Bon Jovi.... you get the idea. The reson being these type of fragrances made quickly and cheaply. They dont have good staying power need to be applied constantly and meant to be a seasonal/campaign smell.

Buy something from established brands like Chanel, CD, Lancome, Lanvin, Hermes etc.

20. Joel_Cairo

NO cologne should cost $200 dollars or more, especially when you are paying more for the name than the actual scent,

I wholeheartedly agree that if this is how you see it (i.e. "you are paying for the name"), you've no business wasting that kind of money on it. For your cost/benefit, I think Cool Water is really the best buy.

which you can more or less find similar versions for much cheaper.

But this, alas, just isnt true. If anyone out there can recommend a passable substitute for M7 fresh, i'll happily stop paying the outrageous shipping to get it from the UK.