1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Can You Identify These Guitars?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

I want to sell several of a friend's guitars on ebay for him but I need to completely identify them first. And before anyone says it, yes, I've been posting in several guitar forums to get help. Haven't been 100% successful yet so I thought I'd try here as well.

This is what I have so far:

This first guitar was pretty easy. The serial number is 110185 and appears to be a 1963 Gibson Les Paul Jr. I'll say it's NOT an SG because it has the name on the headstock and the SG models do not. 1963 was the last year for this guitar. I'm 100% sure that I have this correct. This guitar should sell for at least $2000

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This next guitar I can't figure out the model. Judging by the serial number, it's a Gibson Acoustic / Electric Guitar made in 1973. The serial number (which is etched on the metal part on the bottom of the guitar with the letters "pa") is pa 08827921. ***This number has been updated, please see post below...

It looks like an es125, es150 or es175 but I just can't positively identify it. Anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last one I've narrowed down to a 1968-1970 Aria or Conrad Electric Violin Bass Guitar. The only thing on the guitar is a number on the back which is: 2287973.

All of the components on this guitar match the components on both the Aria and Conrad Bass Guitars but I think that they were both made by the same manufacturer in Japan by the name of Matsumoku.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. theyperch

theyperch Member

I'd be willing to bet that the acoustic/electric is an es125. The ES175 has the cutaway, and the ES150 has a bound fingerboard and trapezoid inlays, which this guitar does not. Also, based on pictures on the internet, you have the same shape pickguard, same tailpiece, etc. It looks like an ES125 to me. Makes sense, since the line was dropped in the 70s.

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

yeah the second one is an ES125. All are beautiful guitars, so good luck.

4. willpower

willpower Well-Known Member

You should be able to get a good deal more than 2K for the Les Paul Jr. The guitar is in near mint condition.

The soapbar pickup on that guitar makes for a great sound
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  5. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking I can but I was going to start with that price on Ebay. There's a nicer one on Ebay and I think they want $3k for it but it's not sold. Probably a bad time to sell something like that.

I just found out that the Bass is probably a Conrad. Apparently, that was a knockoff of Hofner by a Japanese company called kasuga. I originally thought it might be an aria but apparently I'm wrong about that.

I emailed this guy and he says it's a Conrad. Who knew all of this stuff existed?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  6. John Doe

John Doe Well-Known Member

The first guitar is an SG body not a Les Paul Jr. An SG is a double cut away body and a Jr. is a single cut away. I'm not sure what you mean about the name on the headstock. Are you saying it says "Les Paul Jr." on the headstock? Maybe it has a truss rod cover from a Les Paul Jr. on it?

7. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

You don't know what you're talking about. Early SG's still had the Les Paul moniker before Les Paul told them to change the name, and this holds for the Jr.'s as well.

8. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

The first one is a "Les Paul Jr." if it has the Les Paul decal on the headstock on gold. It needs the P-90 cover and the correct volume and tone knobs however if you want top dollar. These are nice guitars when set up properly and have a great sound.

The second one is an ES-125. The tuners have been changed. It was not made in 1973, it was made in 1967. You have to drop the prefixes and start with the number 8 on the Gibson Serial number chart. This is not a very popular model and may take a while to sell at any price.

I have never collected Japanese guitars or basses so I can't help you here.

Good luck with your selling.

9. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that Who clip. How great was Keith Moon?! I love that everyone is playing like they're the star.

10. willpower

willpower Well-Known Member

Keith was so great. The WHO were in top form for that Dec 1968 performance - they were on tour at the time so they were well rehearsed. Here's another terrific one. I love how Pete adjusts adjusts the amps directly for distorted/clean sounds: [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

That was one of their strengths. It was like four Alpha Males fighting it out for dominance which gave such powerful performances.

12. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the Electric Acoustic. There are no serial numbers matching mine (with or without adding numbers or letters) in 1967. Do you have a reference for what you're saying?

The only reference I have for Gibson serial numbers shows a serial number match in 1973.

Here's the link to what I'm referring to (it's a PDF file)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...-IXwAMuZaHh25efbA&sig2=BWIedWtZBpYWaIGLEs0TGw

13. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Go to this list of serial numbers from Gibson http://www.gibson.com/Files/downloads/bluebook/GibsonSERIALNUMBERS.pdf

Drop the "pa o" that is a Gibson code for the assembly site and not part of the SN.

14. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I'm making a mistake in 2 ways (which I just found out).

In speaking with my friend who I'm helping sell the guitar, he mentioned that the numbers on the guitar are actually an insurance policy number etched on there by the original buyer (my friends Dad who has since passed away). He apparently insured the guitar and this was the policy number. I'm wondering if this may be the original serial number that was turned into the policy number because it matches approximately around when the guitar was purchased (60's or '70's).

I checked the guitar over again tonight and corrected the number (I had the original number in this thread wrong) and I checked to see if I could find a serial number on the guitar anywhere. I couldn't. There seem to be no numbers anywhere on this guitar.

The updated letters and number are Pa-08827921.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

16. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

With the new serial number information I would guess that the number etched into the tailpiece is a PA drivers license number.

An ES-125 should have a sticker with a serial number inside the body that you can see through one of the F holes. If it isn't there, sometimes there was also a rubber stamp like number. Anything like that.

The cover on the P-90 pickup looks to be late 50's. The gold barrel knobs also look to be 50's. But because the guitar has changed parts (the tuners) these may have been replaced, especially the knobs. Without a clear Gibson serial number it will be very hard to give a specific year but I would say late 50's early 60's based upon your recent information.

17. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

It's definitely in that year range because that's around when it was purchased. It was purchased by my friend's (in his 60's) father (who's deceased).

He has the other guitars which all date around the same time, somewhere around the 1960's or 1970's, so it makes sense that this guitar is around the same age / year.

I've examined every inch of the outside of the guitar and there just seems to be nothing there. I've looked inside as well but maybe I'm going to have to take a flashlight to the inside of the guitar and really take a good look.

18. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

I found a number!

It was inside the left f hole and it took me several minutes to find it (with a flashlight). It was stamped which, now that I know the number, makes sense.

The number is Y7116 15.

When I checked the number with the serial codes, it turns out that it's a 1953 (and I assume) an es125. It doesn't seem like an es140 or any other model. The FON numbers that year were only stamped on the inside of the guitars which is why I couldn't find anything on the outside. The lower models were apparently stamped for several years.

It's going on ebay if anyone's interested. I also have a les paul jr. on ebay and a couple of other guitars as well.

Any suggestions as to the value? I'm going to research that right now. I think it should sell for around $1k

Thanks for the help!

19. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Having a Gibson from the early 50's is considered by many to be the "Golden Years". So the barrel knobs and P-90 cover are original. That is very cool. I think if you want to get top dollar on EBay I would suggest getting period correct replacement tuners. They are not very expensive and will remove any question about its authenticity. A ES-125 is not a popular guitar but it is an affordable vintage Gibson. Good luck with your sale.

Here is my mid-50's Gibson next to my computer right now. I picked this up in '89 from an old music store in Milwaulkee.

[​IMG]

20. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

So, I sold the bass on ebay ($150) and this is the (2nd) email I've gotten from the buyer.

Does what he's saying make any sense? I played the guitar and it seemed fine. I have no idea what he's talking about.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011