• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can the Navy Suit, White Shirt, No Tie Look Be Saved?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've worn it and liked it. Of course, I felt I looked like this:

But, now with the campaign in full swing, I am seeing it every where.

Has this turned into the suit equivalent of khakis and a polo shirt? When US political leaders adopt a look is that a sign to cut and run? Or, can this look be saved? If so, how?

Rkcarpio

Reaction score
Damn if i don't just love this look. a perfect fitting white crisp shirt and a perfectly fitting suit. When i do this, i try to dress it up with accessories... a gold watch or lapel flower. Tom Ford has it figured out and the man always looks stylish. This classical cannot die. I would argue any perfectly fitting, classic colored suit (greys, khaki, brown), and w crisp white shirt + pocket square is timeless and unbeatable

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
It's such a general description, the modernist version of sleek navy suit with little detailing and no apparent texture, no belt, simple black shoes or boots and plain white shirt with little detailing and no apparent texture is still A-OK. The "look I'm cool I don't wear a tie but everything else looks like regular suit-guy wear" was never ok.

Last edited:

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The royals were donning this look throughout the Olympics.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm concerned that it is becoming so common that it is looking like the white shirt, navy blazer, no tie, grey slacks look that when worn casually, almost always makes a guy look older and dull. For reference, just look around any airport in the USA. There is an army of them.....

Granted, a perfectly tailored suit will help, the right collar on that white shirt, an attractive pocket square and stylish shoes will make a big different. But, is that enough? Or is this look now over-done and dead? A remnant style of 2002-2012 that started in chic night spots and then made it's way to campaign platforms and trade shows?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with Fuuma. It looks good if done right, and bad if not. the problems with those politician examples are the ill-fitting Hickey Freeman/BB suits and sad, deformed shirt collars with only collar button undone. TF shirt looks good, of course. this look is best when it's either slim and minimal, or some more interesting designer iteration. the regular guy business suit is no good.

Zeppelin

Reaction score
You wil definitely want to wear a pocket square, plus the fit of the shirt + suit have to be spot on. Also pay attention to the shirt collar, should be strong and bold for the TF look.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm concerned that it is becoming so common that it is looking like the white shirt, navy blazer, no tie, grey slacks look that when worn casually, almost always makes a guy look older and dull. For reference, just look around any airport in the USA. There is an army of them.....
Granted, a perfectly tailored suit will help, the right collar on that white shirt, an attractive pocket square and stylish shoes will make a big different. But, is that enough? Or is this look now over-done and dead? A remnant style of 2002-2012 that started in chic night spots and then made it's way to campaign platforms and trade shows?

I agree with this. The suit with no tie has become the new business look - not just business casual. I work in a conservative financial services company and suit with no tie is the winter dress code (ties when clients visit). From Memorial Day to Labor Day we go full business casual. It's not just America. I was in Paris recently and noticed a lot of businessmen with no tie during the day. I've seen it in London as well. The Europeans tend to wear much more closely tailored suits so it somehow looks less sloppy, but it would all make my Grandfather turn over in his urn.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agreeing with fuuma and parker, this will look awful 99% of the time because most people won't have the right suit/shirt for the look (even then I think its suspect). Tom Ford wears a lot of black by the way and that pic may be a black suit. Also keep in mind that Tom Ford is a good looking, in shape man that is in the fashion business. He pulls off shirts unbuttoned down to the navel. Not the pocketsquare guy isn't a beautiful man, because he is, but I would be careful in trying to emulate Tom Ford looks when most of us are more in the Obama/Ryan mold.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need a minimum of two buttons undone, preferably three if you're awesome.

cnyman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm afraid I've worn this look navy suit, white shirt, no tie several times and actually enjoyed it.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can't be be saved, because it was never in danger of being ruined. Every classic look and clothing item will be worn poorly or worn by an archetypical dousche at some point, its reputation may even be tarnished. Outside of SF, the leather jacket is probably a good example of this. You are pretty unlikely to see some schmuck running around wearing a Sam Hober tie w/ rolled edges, but I am sure some day (if it hasn't already) the people critiqued above will go up to the podium with a grenadine (or perhaps faux grenadine) because they read about it in GQ, perhaps in a full windsor knot. One day they may even produce a clip-on version. I like the suit sans tie look, it gives an air of casual to a more formal attire. I may even wear it poorly compared to many here, but I doubt I am ruining it for anyone. There are so many minor details that can be adjusted from tailoring to accessories that can drastically change the look, they are almost in separate categories.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Agreed ^^. This is a look that is done well with a (dreaded) black suit by Clooney (I hate Tom Ford's version with his ridiculous receding hairline, shirt open to the waist, cartoonishly wide lapels and designer stubble), but when co-opted by politicians it looks like the business casual attempt that was mentioned elsewhere on this forum recently (was it the 'worst look' thread?) wherein it looks like a conservative business dress outfitted man has simply removed his tie and voila! He is casual! (Not!)

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if it's done well one quickly gets lost in the sea of like-dressed. As Sugarbutch said, this is now a farily standard drss code in the corporate/finance world. A good third of people I encounter on daily basis wears the suit+shirt no tie combo (I work in the financial district in Toronto). Everytime I see I think it's a lost opportunity since a tie would improve the look exponentially (assuming the fit etc are OK).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads