1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Can someone please explain khakis?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by linux_pro, Feb 10, 2005.

1. wja

wja Well-Known Member

And how old are you?

2. Alias

Alias Well-Known Member

hey guys I thought this thread about khakis

I'm planning on moving back to Hawaii, and I understand the dress code there is very casual, meaning aloha shirts and khakis. Now I would like to get khakis that aren't Dockers. I've heard of Bill's Khakis but I don't know if they're worth the price tag. I do remember Dr. Bresch sharing a negative review of them, as well as someone else claiming that they've worn out in a matter of months. If I'm going to pay $90+ for a pair of khakis, they'd damn better be worth it.

I'm also planning on stocking up on tropical wool trousers. Can anyone recommend some good mills? (ps. Zegna and Loro Piana are out of my $$$ range, also I hate everything over 10 oz)

3. linux_pro

linux_pro Well-Known Member

I am 30, getting old, ready to purchase a walker soon. Why are you asking me that?

4. aarghh

aarghh Well-Known Member

Target Khakis.

If you have to get khakis, being cheap is the way to go.

5. Alias

Alias Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good idea. I need something cheap and easily alterable.

6. linux_pro

Don't do it man. For the love of god, pleeeease....

Heh heh, I'm just kidding. Why not get a pair of cotton or linen trousers that are khaki-colored?

7. AJL

AJL Well-Known Member

wja,

Was browsing as well, and wondering if one of the chaps in your avatar is you? If so, are you the tall bearded one, or the compact dapper looking gent in the stovepipe hat? Just curious.

8. ATM

ATM Well-Known Member

You can't fake being upper class. You'll be exposed every time.

9. linux_pro

(linux_pro @ Feb. 13 2005,14:10) I believe it was Manton who stated somewhere on this forum that there is a tendency in the upper-middle classes to aspire to upper class status and detest the middle classes, and take drastic measures to not be viewed as such. Somewhere, I might have picked up this mindset. I can relate to it, as embarassing as that might be. Definitely, the reason I came to this forum was to learn to dress in a fashion that would definitely not be confused with the mannerisms of the middle classes. I can admit that, on an obscure internet forum. I would never admit it in person. I had assumed, possibly erroneously, that other people attracted to the services of bespoke tailors and shoemakers would share that mindset. ... You can't buy good taste, proper manners, and a proper upbringing, but you better believe I'm going to make every attempt to change that if possible.
    You can't fake being upper class. You'll be exposed every time.
    Yes, it was an embarassing moment and I was hoping this thread would just die.

10. wja

wja Well-Known Member

Dear AJL, I am the fellow on the right, the dude, standing on the log.  I asked about the hat since I wondered if linux_pro might want to trade chapeaux for a while.  Don't go asking about my bitch; she's not for sale.

11. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

Wow - I go to a conference for five days, come back, and this thread is still going.

Keep it up and we can rival the black suit discussion.

Bradford

P.S. This thread inspired me to stop at a local men's store last night and buy a pair of Bill's Khaki's (M1 - flat fronts). I should have them on Monday.

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Tipping is the new black suit.