• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I wear plaid pants without looking like an old man?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Polo shirt solid color is a logical choice. Nuff zed

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep everything else simple, basic. The first sweater is busy with both a polo collar, and a sweatshirt seam at the neck, and raglan sleeves. Any one of those might look OK, but all three makes the sweater look like something that went on clearance for good reason.

The Hermes sweater is super busy. Don't wear busy with busy.

I wear plaid pants to the horse races in the summer with a simple white shirt and loafers. It makes me look degenerate, which I like.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are these SF acceptable, or is there a better combination, or is this a fool's persuit?
Pant C, Blackwatch with Berluti wholecut

Thanks. As always

I quite like these pants PT and my compliments! Have you tried a caramel cord or navy twill sport coat with these? or perhaps a nice shawl collared sweater?
Maybe I am wrong on these suggestions but this is what comes to my mind.
Tan, Chili, Whiskey, Burgundy or Brown shoes may work better. Perhaps a pair of suede chukkas?

Last edited:

PTWilliams

Reaction score

.....With those pants, Im thinking sport shirt / button down collar. Screw a patterned blazer, use solid darker color......

This is the closest thing to a solid color blazer that I have.

Last edited:

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Epaulet had some sweet tartan trousers in a modern cut for about $200. I have a pair. Don't know if they are still available or not.

I saw those and didn't pull the trigger last year and they aren't available this year.
Did you get the Walt or Rudy? I forget which one is slimmer. I think i would have gone for the less slim version. If I remember correctly, they came in both a Stewart tartan w/ black background and Blackwatch. I would have gone w/ the Stewart. Oh well. Orvis sells Stewart w/ red background and Blackwatch but I think they're a relaxed fit. $150. I might size down on a pair and see how it goes.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This actually looks pretty good, IMO

Yes it does, because it's not busy. Try to find a solid sweater that matches a minor color of the trousers'. Stick w/ the white shirt. With the blackwatch trousers drop the patterned blazer. A solid colored roll neck sweater will work nicely. The black one you're wearing may make everything too dark. A light camel or cream will look nice, I think. Even the white shirt w/o a sweater or jacket will do fine. That royal blue v-neck may work if it compliments the trousers' royal blue - the close-up photo of your legs suggests royal blue there. The first pants you showed us have significant pattern mismatching issues; I doubt they can be saved. And get the following solid colored jackets; camel, light grey and navy. No gold buttons.

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This actually looks pretty good, IMO

I must agree. With some brogues and some shirt cuff showing, I would call this well within the SF-acceptable.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is where you are doing it right. A different color sweater might look better - and a tie (or bowtie) will sharpen it up, but its not necessary you look fine without. Show your shirt cuffs, wear a leather banded watch.

Also some nicer shoes.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is where you are doing it right. A different color sweater might look better - and a tie (or bowtie) will sharpen it up, but its not necessary you look fine without. Show your shirt cuffs, wear a leather banded watch.
Also some nicer shoes.

Absolutely. This has some restraint, but also retains a certain individuality. I'm sure PTW is a lovely guy who I have no desire to offend but, at his worst, he does tend to look like he was the only survivor of an explosion in a designer clothes warehouse. Exhibit A: that atrocity of a Hermes sweater with plaid!

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Absolutely. This has some restraint, but also retains a certain individuality. I'm sure PTW is a lovely guy who I have no desire to offend but, at his worst, he does tend to look like he was the only survivor of an explosion in a designer clothes warehouse. Exhibit A: that atrocity of a Hermes sweater with plaid!

Yeah, I've found more people buying Hermes for its name than for anything that has style or taste. He had to mention it was Hermes when showing us.

OlSarge

Reaction score
I would say Curzon has put it nicely, completely and that you should do what he said. Well done, both men!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads