1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Can I do my own taxes for Restricted Stock & Stock Options?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by gilwood, Jan 28, 2013.

1. gilwood

gilwood Well-Known Member

Well, tax season is here. I guess I'll start out the questions since I'm a knucklehead with taxes.

In past years, I've done my own taxes with Turbotax and everything was pretty straight forward. In 2012, however, I ended up selling all of my employee stock purchase plan, stock options and restricted stock. I ended up making a nice sum of money. However, I've heard that its hard to do those taxes. Do you guys think I can still calculate my own taxes with Turbo Tax or should I get an accountant? If I do, should I go to HR Block, Jackson Hewitt or the like? Do I need some sort of special stock accountant?

2. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I would hire a real accountant for this. (By real accountant, I mean somebody who does not work at HR Block, etc.)

Find an accountant with experience dealing with equity compensation. Get a recommendation from someone who has used this person in the past.

Did you file 83(b) elections on any of the equity awards?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

+1

The guys at H&R, Jackson Hewitt, etc aren't trained accountants. They're trained to churn out tax returns. Go to a CPA who deals with this stuff year round and not to a guy who took a 2 hour training class.

4. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

+1

5. gilwood

gilwood Well-Known Member

Nope - Mainly because I have no idea what that is. Accountant seems like the way to go.

6. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

Then you should certainly hire someone qualified.