1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Can having a bachelor's degree work against your career mobility?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by JesseJB, Apr 14, 2011.

1. ektaylor

ektaylor Well-Known Member

Hey bro, sounds like you just need to go with your gut here. Have you read any of Donald Trump's books??? Didn't think so... What about Jesse Ventura?? Read any of his books???? Yea, didn't think so, either. THE RISING TIDE LIFTS ALL BOATS.

Really, though. It's most likely because you're not on LinkedIn -- that, or your profile isn't proper. What kind of haircut do you have?? That could make a HUGE difference. In emails, do you use contractions? How many exclamation points do you use a week? HOW MANY NUMBERS ARE ON YOUR RESUME?

These are all important.

2. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Let's try and avoid BC&E becoming DT, or worse, CE, shall we?

3. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Hey bro, sounds like you just need to go with your gut here. Have you read any of Donald Trump's books??? Didn't think so... What about Jesse Ventura?? Read any of his books???? Yea, didn't think so, either. THE RISING TIDE LIFTS ALL BOATS. Really, though. It's most likely because you're not on LinkedIn -- that, or your profile isn't proper. What kind of haircut do you have?? That could make a HUGE difference. In emails, do you use contractions? How many exclamation points do you use a week? HOW MANY NUMBERS ARE ON YOUR RESUME? These are all important.
    i have a standing dare with the board to go fucking with the tone in the business forum. We are seldom called 'heavy handed' at SF. The business forum is Matt's Exception Zone. You are as close as anyone has been to the edge. Just. A. Little. Nudge.

4. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

6. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

seems pretty bogus... maybe it's just the difference between american/canadian universities, but looking at the application procedure, recommended scores, costs, etc.. just real low.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

8. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

Have you though about breaking into private equity?

Signed,

The SF student crew

9. ektaylor

ektaylor Well-Known Member

Banned. EDIT: Sorry, Matt. [​IMG] EDIT2: I've spent too much time with union guys. They've affected me in a way I cannot explain. [​IMG]

10. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Well-Known Member

mm, UofC, SFU, Ryerson, all have communication programs.

I have not looked into it, but again, it would seem not too many offer them. I have never met anybody who had one or heard of it. Yet, online, I see it mentioned often enough.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I have not looked into it, but again, it would seem not too many offer them. I have never met anybody who had one or heard of it. Yet, online, I see it mentioned often enough.

Let's get off this. I have known a couple of people in graduate level communications programs and they were highly intelligent and well versed in various areas of math and study design. The concept that somehow Canadian universities are only churning out degrees that are more marketable than ones in US universities is bullshit. You have gone from, "I don't think we have such degrees here in Canada," to just your anecdotal experience of not having met a communications degree person.

To the OP: quit the call center. Just give your notice and quit. Either get further education or seek an employment councilor and just do the leg work to change your employment.

12. hrb

hrb Well-Known Member

I can only speak for the west coast, but it was one of the few (pre. 2008) degrees that students were snapped up from post grad. Mostly PR, Investor Relations, especially with the oil companies and television stations (CTV and CBC) that sort of thing. SFU and UCalgary's are pretty big.

13. JesseJB

JesseJB Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

Just wish there was anything I was remotely interested in getting a masters in.

Hey, maybe Communications! heh...

But after 5 years in this, there's not much of a choice left to make and no time to be picky.

14. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

Any benefits to having an MBA when you are a software engineer (in Information Technology)?

15. ennui

ennui Well-Known Member

I believe you have just become a victim of :spam:

16. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Well-Known Member

It depends on the person. Most people with degrees end up getting stuck because they walk into a place of business acting like they're entitled to things. When on the other hand, you have the guy with no degree who works his butt off and he gets the promotion. The guy with the degree thinks that his piece of paper entitles him to rise in the ranks without working his way up. But people with degrees who think that way always end up getting a reality check.

17. stylemeup

stylemeup Well-Known Member

I'm confused by what the OP is saying. I did some preliminary research about Communications careers because I am considering eventually entering that field.

What I found said that Communications is a need that every organization has, and hence there are many employment opportunities for those with education in Communications.

Is that information wrong? Or are the OP's complaints against his Communications degree wrong?

Based on what I know, (which is admittedly limited), my question to the OP is: why the heck did you take a call center job? Doesn't your Communications degree qualify you for much better jobs? That is, with better not meaning "higher up in the call center," but instead meaning "on a whole different level, way above the respectability and financial compensation afforded to call center jobs."

I put the same question to others as well who are not the OP, but perhaps can offer insights as to whether the OP's problem is that he has been/is misusing his degree instead of using it to its potential.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  18. curzon

curzon Well-Known Member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

I don't know how having relevant education to include a college degree would hinder one's career.

Not to malign those in this career, but there is the stereotype of the job and those who hold it. If I'm interviewing someone who's held an entry-level position for 5 years... actually, I'm very unlikely to interview someone who's held an entry-level job for that long. I'd feel they have no initiative. Five years and no career progression? It's usually cheaper for companies to promote from within than to hire from outside, i.e., unless you're working for a mom and pop shop there are some opportunities for advancement in almost all firms. However, there could be legit reasons, such as the person was going to school whilst working full time, thus he couldn't take on the additional work responsibilities that come w/ promotion. I'd interview that person.

19. Jackobs

Jackobs New Member

Why not to get a masters or professional degree?