1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Can a velvet blazer be "Semi-Formal to formal"?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chiggachu, Apr 27, 2006.

1. chiggachu

chiggachu Active Member

I'm looking into purchasing a velvet blazer to wear to a semi-formal to formal party. Black or Navy blue jacket, and I would probably add a white shirt and dark tie with suit trousers or some other dark pants. Does anyone disagree with this idea? Not dressy enough?

2. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

I think it might be a bit loud, and you could certainly dress up a dark suit to be semi-formal pretty well (and for less!). With that, make sure you have a dark tie (striped or solid), white shirt with double (French) cuffs, and a white pocket square. You should also have some black Oxford or blucher shoes polished well. For added dressiness, you could add a lighter coloured or satin patterned vest.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

It would be a striking image. A step up from a suit but well below a tuxedo. Of course it would require formal trousers, shoes, shirt and bow tie.

4. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

Agree with Tomasso, wear a tux and replace the jacket with black velvet. It will look fantastic.

Tom

5. chiggachu

chiggachu Active Member

Thanks guys! I'm wary of the bowtie, but I'll think about it [​IMG] Maybe I'll take some pictures of the getup and post here

6. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

Go with a white ruffled formal shirt, like a pirate, unbuttoned halfway down the chest.

Badass.

7. chiggachu

chiggachu Active Member

Go with a white ruffled formal shirt, like a pirate, unbuttoned halfway down the chest.

Badass.

...says the count of monte cristo [​IMG]

8. stach

stach Well-Known Member

If you get a black jacket you can put black velvet side stripes on a pair of black slacks and you will have a new tux outfit. Navy is harder to match.