1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Can a v-neck undershirt be worn under a v-neck sweater? (Pic included)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gatorfan15, Oct 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. gatorfan15

gatorfan15 Member

Or should only crew neck undershirts be worn under v-neck sweaters? Assuming we're excluding the button down under sweater look.

[​IMG]

2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

the general consenus is that you should not see underwear (your undershirt) below a sweater. That is a very tight v-neck and it looks bad as is.

you'll want to wear a v-neck t-shirt that has a deep enough v that you don't see it. Many people also wear a button up shirt underneath the sweater.

3. gatorfan15

gatorfan15 Member

What do you mean by very tight? I just have a muscular build and had to go a size up even.

So to be sure, are you saying the only options for wearing a v-neck are...

V-neck without undershirt showing
    V-neck with button down underneath?

Thanks in advance.

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

I only wear v-neck sweaters when I have a button-front shirt underneath. I think the v-neck only or v-neck with slight undershirt look is sloppy at best and alarming at worst. I wear a crew neck sweater if I want to wear only a t shirt underneath. This is just personal preference, of course.

5. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

Pay attention to this man, for he knows of which he speaks (types!)

A v neck looks equally crap with a visible t shirt or nothing beneath it. You need something with a collar, at least a polo shirt if not a collared shirt.

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. gatorfan15

gatorfan15 Member

Damn, I just bought 5 of these v-neck sweaters, and I'm too lazy to wear a button down underneath :(

I guess I should exchange them for 5 crew necks if I just want to wear a white T shirt underneath

8. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

do YOU like the look?

forget what other people think.

9. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

If putting on a button down is so much effort for you, I think you're on the wrong forum!

10. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

Real men don't walk around showing their underwear.

11. gooter

gooter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. gatorfan15

gatorfan15 Member

[​IMG]
    It looks pretty good on this guy. Just saying.

13. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

I really hope you are being sarcastic.

14. atoms

atoms Well-Known Member

I think the OP is serious.

gatorfan,
    You may personally like the look, but most people on this forum will dissaprove. Let me add that I have only recently began to dress "like a man" as it were (I'm in my mid thirties). But even when all I wore were jeans, tshirts, long sleeve shirts, or short sleeve button down shirts I knew that showing your undershirt like the photos in this thread is REALLY TACKY.

The only thing tackier is when the sweater has a built in fake undershirt collar.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  15. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I don't like the t-shirt-under-v-neck look at all.

16. joeverns

joeverns Member

OP if you like the look then continue on. Its good to keep in mind that by this forum being about style, the idea of what is wearable is more strict than in the real world.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  17. Tug

Tug Member

this topic has come up on my site many times over the years, and the general consensus is:

1. generally best to keep an undershirt hidden
    2. for one with a lot of chest hair or who wants to hide a tattoo, a showing undershirt is better than not
    3. wearing a colored undershirt / t-shirt that has a complimentary color to the outer shirt can be a reasonable alternative to a plain white t-shirt
    4. if the undershirt does show, it should be clean, and have a crisp collar that lays flat
    5. use your best judgment on what you feel comfortable with from a style point of view. there are many socially acceptable ways to wear your clothing, but keep in mind that stylish men in forums like these will likely recommend a more optimal look, than a socially acceptable one.

i for one like the idea of wearing a button shirt with a collar underneath a v-neck sweater like this. i think that would look nice, and the collared button up would substitute as your undershirt.

if you do have a large amount of chest hair though, you might consider doing a little manscaping.

one reference article suggestion: search for "undershirts under v-neck" on my website undershirtguy [dot] com and you'll find a interesting article i wrote back in november 2009 about this very topic of wearing undershirts under v-neck sweaters.