1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cameras: Help me decide

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Brian SD, Aug 29, 2006.

1. aarghh

aarghh Well-Known Member

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

I actually played with these two cameras today. Although the Nikon has a good set of features, the Canon is a bit less expensive and has a self cleaning sensor and other features that were quite attractive. Going to purchase one of these from a local shop that has very attractive pricing.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

I actually played with these two cameras today. Although the Nikon has a good set of features, the Canon is a bit less expensive and has a self cleaning sensor and other features that were quite attractive. Going to purchase one of these from a local shop that has very attractive pricing.

I are you sure you handled the D80 and the 400D? Both of them are not out yet, with the D80 coming sooner. Also, what is the pricing like at this shop? I wouldn't mind driving up to Orange County if the price is right. It's only a 1-hour drive.

4. drizzt3117

I are you sure you handled the D80 and the 400D? Both of them are not out yet, with the D80 coming sooner. Also, what is the pricing like at this shop? I wouldn't mind driving up to Orange County if the price is right. It's only a 1-hour drive.

I didn't play with the D80, as they didn't have it, but handled the D70 instead, however they had a rep who had the XTi there. I'm not currently in Orange County, but in my hometown of Madison, WI. They said the XTi and D80 would both be in next week, though. I think the D80 was $1000 for the camera and $1100 with the kit, or something, but I was more interested in the Canon.

5. Brian SD

I didn't play with the D80, as they didn't have it, but handled the D70 instead, however they had a rep who had the XTi there. I'm not currently in Orange County, but in my hometown of Madison, WI. They said the XTi and D80 would both be in next week, though. I think the D80 was $1000 for the camera and $1100 with the kit, or something, but I was more interested in the Canon.

Yea. The D70 and D80 are nothing alike. Don't let the D70 discourage you.

The D80 is basically a D200 inside of a D70 body and probably has a few more software features - the only thing the D200 has that the D80 doesn't is 5 fps for action shots. The D80 viewfinder is much larger and brighter than the 400D and D70.

So don't consider the D80 so much as an improved D70, it's more like a D200 with slightly slower shooting, where as the 400D is just a slight improvement over the 350D.

I'd be careful before you buy that Canon. I only say this because I've read reviews between the Sony A100/Canon 400d/Nikon D80 and every one so far has put the D80 in first place. I strongly advise you check out the D80 before you purchase the 400D - the D70 is not a good indicator on the quality of the D80.

6. drizzt3117

Yea. The D70 and D80 are nothing alike. Don't let the D70 discourage you.

The D80 is basically a D200 inside of a D70 body and probably has a few more software features - the only thing the D200 has that the D80 doesn't is 5 fps for action shots. The D80 viewfinder is much larger and brighter than the 400D and D70.

So don't consider the D80 so much as an improved D70, it's more like a D200 with slightly slower shooting, where as the 400D is just a slight improvement over the 350D.

I'd be careful before you buy that Canon. I only say this because I've read reviews between the Sony A100/Canon 400d/Nikon D80 and every one so far has put the D80 in first place. I strongly advise you check out the D80 before you purchase the 400D - the D70 is not a good indicator on the quality of the D80.

I was a bit more concerned with the ergonomics of the two cameras. The feature set of the XTi is certainly sufficient and I like the sensor a bit more. Self-cleaning is just a bonus. Both cameras are more than enough for my needs, but I like the feel of the Canon body much more.

7. Brian SD

I was a bit more concerned with the ergonomics of the two cameras. The feature set of the XTi is certainly sufficient and I like the sensor a bit more. Self-cleaning is just a bonus. Both cameras are more than enough for my needs, but I like the feel of the Canon body much more.

I suppose the Canon / Nikon argument is a lot like Mac / PC. One is obviously superior but you can't convince everyone.

[​IMG]

That was a tongue-in-cheek joke. Seriously.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

I suppose the Canon / Nikon argument is a lot like Mac / PC. One is obviously superior but you can't convince everyone.

[​IMG]

That was a tongue-in-cheek joke. Seriously.

Oh, James... [​IMG]

Jon.

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

I saw... I think Brian is talking about the fact that PC's are superior, but the Mac people keep clinging to the propaganda that Apple puts out that brainwashes people into thinking that they are buying a "uniquely stylish" machine that "just works", even though they all share the same, bland, generic minimalism (which some people still confuse with looking good), and nowadays have the same physical components in them as you can put in a PC, at only twice the price. Basically it all comes down to paying for a restrictive, overly flashy, annoying eye candy of an OS that forces you to purchase a whole cookie cutter computer to get it. I think thats what Brian means... [​IMG]

10. Brian SD

Well I placed my order for the D80 with the brand spanking new 18-135mm DX zoom lens. Stores started receiving their shipments today - I found one website that didn't say out of stock (adorama), though that doesn't necessarily mean to me that it's in...

The anticipation is making my insides melt.