1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Calzoleria Toscana (shoes)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by blackrover, Apr 3, 2006.

1. blackrover

blackrover Well-Known Member

I recently bought a pair of Calzoleria Toscana lavorate a mano from Nordstrom, and I must say they are a great shoes for the money. They are made in Italy and have the same construction qualities you see in shoes that four time as much. Even though they are missing some of the finer details, they are a great looking shoe and for 150 big ones I think a steal as well. They never hurt my feet. Even before broke in and I'm on my feet at all day. I can't say enough about them... high grade soft leather that feels and smells great. Everything you would expect in a good Italian shoes at a price lower than (crappy) Mezlan.

http://search.nordstrom.com/SearchRe...go.x=16&go.y=4

BTW: Does anyone know what Lavorate a mano means

2. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

I recently bought a pair of Calzoleria Toscana lavorate a mano from Nordstrom, and I must say they are a great shoes for the money. They are made in Italy and have the same construction qualities you see in shoes that four time as much. Even though they are missing some of the finer details, they are a great looking shoe and for 150 big ones I think a steal as well. They never hurt my feet. Even before broke in and I'm on my feet at all day. I can't say enough about them... high grade soft leather that feels and smells great. Everything you would expect in a good Italian shoes at a price lower than (crappy) Mezlan.

http://search.nordstrom.com/SearchRe...go.x=16&go.y=4

BTW: Does anyone know what Lavorate a mano means

Not bad at all for the money. Literally, Lavorate a Mano means 'worked by hand'...so they are handmade, to a degree.

3. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

4. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

Not bad at all for the money. Literally, Lavorate a Mano means 'worked by hand'...so they are handmade, to a degree.

Oh, I thought that was Italian for "Can I get a Lug sole with that?"

5. skalogre

What are these? Glued, welted, blake-stitched? Cannot tell from the photographs. Anyone seen these at a Nordstrom's?

6. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

What are these? Glued, welted, blake-stitched? Cannot tell from the photographs. Anyone seen these at a Nordstrom's?

I have. I believe that they're Blake-constructed.

7. skalogre

Thanks Jcusey. How was the leather on them?

8. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

They do get points for styling in the vein of Lattanzi/Santoni.

I can't image the leather/construction is much of anything for $150.

They are what they are.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I have a pair of the dk brown wingtips from Calzoleria Toscana and they are a great shoe for the $. At $150, they could pass for a higher end shoe....sole is blake stitched and the leather is nice and grainy, not plasticky at all. Comfortable from day 1 and has only gotten better as they wear in. Took a chance on ordering these sight unseen/unworn and they turned out to be a homerun.

I saw those captoes at a Nordstrom's the other week and I wasnt too into them. The leather has an odd/artificial distressing and I'm not into the hemp/rope shoelaces with the huge ass toggle on the end. Those cost a bit more as well, $225, and don't seem nearly as nice as the pair I got online.

10. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

Thanks Jcusey. How was the leather on them?

They're $225 shoes. It's okay, but Mantellassi need not worry.

11. skalogre

They're $225 shoes. It's okay, but Mantellassi need not worry.
    I did not really feel that would be the case - not that I would know, I don't have any high end shoes - some Loake, Loding and Grensons are about as "fancy" as it gets for me [​IMG] [​IMG] ! Get Smart: I think that is a big reason why those do not quite pull me... the laces are rather too rustic for the shoe, for starters and the leather looks a little odd...

12. Get Smart

I think that is a big reason why those do not quite pull me... the laces are rather too rustic for the shoe, for starters and the leather looks a little odd...

yea, looking at the shoe in store i had this great urge to cut the laces off.

13. Roger

Roger Well-Known Member

John, doesn't that look like stitching on the top of the sole extension? And look at the heel. Do we not, perhaps, have a 360-degree welt? Do Blake/Rapid ever look like that around the heel? Surely a Blake-stitched shoe wouldn't, would it?. [​IMG]

14. Get Smart

Those captoes shown above are the only ones that are welted. All the other Calzoleria shoes seem to be blake stitched.

15. blackrover

blackrover Well-Known Member

I got these in black. For the leather and construction comments you should try them. You just might be surprised...I was and I do have experience with highend shoes. The pics I posted of my Canali's dissapeared after the crash.

Oh and they are Blake constructed.
    [​IMG]

16. skalogre

A quick update note. As I was curious I decided to give it a shot. I ordered these
    in a 44. The colour was decent. Some antiquing visible. Leather similar to my Loding. Not particularly soft but definately not cheap-arse leather either. However I will be returning them as they are a wee bit small for me (a 44.5 would have worked better than a 44 for me it seems, a little too narrow for me). And for whatever reason I would not get acclimatised to the shape of the sole around the toe area - having it more rounded would have made it a harder decision for me. The construction quality seemed ok, at least for US$150.00 + sales tax.

P.s. if anyone wants to take a crack at these please let me know before Saturday, as that is the day I will be returning them.
    [​IMG]

17. Get Smart

That's the great thing about ordering from Nordstrom, you can just take them back to the store for full refund so it enables impulse shopping.

Once I returned a pair of chelsea boots and when they took them back didn't even bother opening the box to make sure they were kosher, so there could have been a box of rocks or worn out shoes in there for all they'd known.