1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

buying used shoes, ok or not?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by iroh, Nov 29, 2011.

buying used shoes ok?

1. yes

111 vote(s)
    63.8%
  2. no

63 vote(s)
    36.2%
  1. Chrenetique

Chrenetique Well-Known Member

In my short experience, used quality shoes are too expensive to be profitable.

You can grab a used Brioni jacket (MSRP: $3000) for only $100 on eBay. That's 1/40 of the price. But what would you have, among new items, for $100? Polyester fused trash with a terrible cut - nothing else.

Also, excellent $150 ties can be had for $5 used (1/30 of the price), fine $300 shirts are findable for $15 (1/20 of the price), etc. What kind of disastrous ties or shirts would you have for such a low price in a mall?

Now, used Lobb shoes (MSRP: $1000) are often found for $200-300 on eBay - only 1/4 of the price. If you bought new shoes for $300, even for $200, you'd have good mid-level shoes from a respectable bootmaker... You're not falling too low. So, which choice is preferable?

If you're a middle-class person and you sincerely like vintage clothing (when you could afford new things), then you'd rather buy used Lobbs.

If you're a poor man that's forced to buy oldies because new is often unaffordable, then you'll buy new shoes, because 1) it's less degrading, 2) it offers a durability that's more certain than used shoes (a poor man shelling out $300 won't be able to spend this sum again for a long, long while - and used Lobbs from unknown sellers can last 20 years, 20 months, or maybe 20 days...).

However, one may buy a used pair of Lobbs just for dandyfied, non-functional purposes.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. Chrenetique

Chrenetique Well-Known Member

A woman comes round your house, she takes off her clothes. Would you now slip your (random organ) into her body?

How can a man's shoes be more disgusting than a woman's intimacy?

2 people like this.
  3. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

Many guys like cleaning out the buttholes of their girlfriends/wives with their tongue. Bringing woman into the equation does not count, since sexuality kicks in. I could lick a pussy all day, but would not touch a mans hand after he has taken a whizz and not washed his hands.

As in Pulp Fiction, it is easy to give a chick a foot massage, but a guy .....

The tongue emoticon at the end of my post was meant to imply my comment was tongue in cheek. I was messing around a bit.

I personally do not buy used shoes since the margin of difference between new and used is not that significant.

Lets not split hairs though, the used / new issue is not a big deal. It crosses my mind, but not to the point I would be all paranoid and overtaken by OCD.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  4. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Well-Known Member

Really?

5. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

There are threads devoted to this topic. You would be surprised.

1 person likes this.
  6. entrero

entrero Well-Known Member

The way I think of shoes will never be the same again.

1 person likes this.
  7. PTWilliams

Guy: You want me to what?
    Girl: Get down there and clean shop.
    Guy: Your kidding
    Girl: You love me don't you.
    Guy: Yes but that's just disgusting
    Girl: You wear used Berluti and Gravati purchased on Ebay don't you.
    Guy: Its not the same.
    Girl: Yes it is, some other guy sweated bucketloads into those shoes.
    Guy: But I saved 80%.
    Girl: And those RLPL pants, some guy spent years farting and absorbing the last drop in those things. You couldn't get more contact with men's bodily fluids if you hung out at wharf waiting for the sailor to come ashore.
    Guy: They were only $20
    Girl: Other Styleforum guys do it, there are whole threads on it.
    Guy: Really.
    Girl: There was this one guy on Styleforum who dished out nothing but snark, best dresser on Styleforum. But maybe you're more of an AAAC kind of guy...
    Guy: No way. Not him, well if you're sure...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    2 people like this.
  8. celery

celery Well-Known Member

I bought used shoes on ebay once. Was short lived and also the last time I will ever do that. They had definitely molded to the original owner's foot and no amount of inserts would alleviate the awkwardness of walking in them. After a few weeks I just tossed them and learned my lesson.

9. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  10. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Well-Known Member

11. eddiecibrian

eddiecibrian Well-Known Member

12. PTWilliams

13. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Quote:
    just for the sake of quoting...

14. chet31

chet31 Well-Known Member

If you are unwilling to buy used shoes for sanitary reasons, let me suggest some other things you may not want to do: 1.) Sit in anyone else's office or workstation. 2.) Touch anyone else's computer. 3.) Fly in a commercial airplane. 4.) Dine out. 5.) Sit in any cushioned chair that has been sat in by anyone other than yourself. 6.) Ride in anyone else's car. 7.) Touch most doorknobs.

This is just a partial list of things that are far more unsanitary than wearing someone else's shoes. Shoes are not great breeding grounds for bacteria or fungi. I would be fine with buying used shoes, but to me, the biggest problem is that people generally keep their good stuff, and try to sell their ugly stuff. There are needles in the haystack out there, but a lot of time needs to be invested to find them.

15. eddiecibrian

eddiecibrian Well-Known Member

and is it really possible to avoid using a public toilet in NYC?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  16. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Just book a hotel room near you.

As for the topic I would never unless they were a limited edition and there was only one or two pairs made in my size

17. ACH4935

ACH4935 New Member

Well written and enough said on this topic. I have never purchased a pair of used shoes simply because I never came across a pair that were up to my standards: size, material, fit, wear, color, etc. Used socks, underwear,T shirts & sneakers are unacceptable purchases (given exception to that of kin and no choice), however everything else is negotiable!

18. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Why are washed socks out when the shoes they've sweated in (and the same bare feet may have ocupied) are still in? And why sneakers and not other shoes?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  19. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Used gym socks are actually quite expensive used, compared to their prices new.

20. wintourh007

wintourh007 Active Member

I simply don't. I'm fussy with my things and second hand shoes are a no-no for me.