1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ReubenR

ReubenR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I'm so happy now...

I've spent the past 1.5 hours or so teaching myself how to write functions in Apple Numbers.

The end result is that I only have to enter Item Cost, Sale Price, Shipping Charge, and Shipping Cost. Numbers now calculates Gross Profit, Ebay Fees, PayPal fees, and Total Profit for the item, along with cumulative tallies for each column. This is going to be so much better, and less prone to error than doing all the math manually!

1 person likes this.
  3. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Question for you guys. I have a suit for sale as BINOBO. I have provided a full set of measurements and stated clearly that

I’ve received this message:

Do you consider this a reasonable request? My concern is that I’d be just setting myself up here, and there is no guarantee that I’ll get the suit back in the condition that I send it in.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

I agree - totally reasonable, and I've done it twice recently. Guys who knew their size and measurements wanted to try on a suit to make sure, even though I have a "no returns due to does not fit" blurb in my listings. Told them both I'd refund them minus original shipping and they had to send it back in the same condition, as well as pay return shipping by the same method (Priority, in a box, insured with sig confirmation). Made it clear that, if they returned it, they'd basically be paying $30 to $40 to try it on. They agreed, and both ended up keeping the suits. You may run into a bozo at some point, but I felt that both of these guys were reasonable, saw their good feedback etc and didn't think there was much risk in dealing with them.

1 person likes this.
  6. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

I'd much rather deal with this guy than the guy how who doesn't know his measurements, buys the suit and them claims it's not as described, forcing you to eat the shipping cost both ways.

7. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Yeah, normal returns process, if you want to go down that path.
    Only thing you're opening yourself up to is - there are some guys that think you can find the perfect suit for them. I've had a couple that think you can become their personal advisor and every time you post a suit their size they send you a note - Hey how about this one, do you think this will fit me? Like I could possibly know.

8. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Well-Known Member

Meeeh I 100% agree with you on that but is that really a problem? Let me explain : I'm much smaller in terms of volume of sales than most of you guys so I'm able to keep track of the buyers I'd like to deal with again in the future. Most of the times they actually ask me to keep their sizing in mind and etc. So whenever I find some good stuff in their size, I hit my mailing list and propose the stuff in exclusivity for them. This way I deal with people who wants to change their entire wardrobe (weight loss or gain, or just people wanting to upgrade their game). They literally spend hundreds of $ on people they trust, pretty cool stuff!

9. rhyme

rhyme Well-Known Member

Got my first negative feedback due to shipping issue. Asshat buys a tie on Sat afternoon and pays $2.99 shipping

Item was dropped to the PO on Monday and scanned in system on Tuesday. Leaves neg feedback today "What in the world is taking this item so long to get here. Haven't received yet!"

What's pissing me off even more is that i am selling this tie for someone else, its not even my item [​IMG] I hope Ebay will help me get this removed because my shipping time in listing is set to 1-3 biz day.

2 people like this.
  10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

MAGIC!

11. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Well-Known Member

Question: I'm a top rated seller because of the 14 day returns. If I make like 5 BIN items no refund allowed, will that discount go away?

Can't deal with refunds on these bigger items

12. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

I'd think you stand a decent chance of getting it removed if you fulfilled the obligations you set for yourself in their system.

13. Koala-T

I think it just means those items won't be considered TRS. But you still in general will be considered TRS.

14. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Well-Known Member

Great Thanks. What does making those items TRS mean? The discount doesn't apply to those?

15. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Sure there are some good buyers out there you want a relationship with. Those good buyers aren't asking me if I think something will fit them.

16. Koala-T

Right, you wouldn't get your discount for those items that didn't qualify for trs (items without return offered).

1 person likes this.
  17. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the good advice guys. I know I may come across a bit anal about these matters, but I have been seriously burned by eBay buyers in the past, including being stiffed for thousands of dollars and subjected to telephone harassment, so I guess I am just a bit more defensive and wary about eBay trading than some of you are.

18. Ds13

Ds13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Who's responsible in the event that the buyer opens a case?

19. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Call ebay after it shows delivered within your stated s&h time and they should remove that. Block and add to the blacklist

Top rated and refunds dont have anything to do with each other (Spoo & I). Top Rated Plus is where you get the discount for offering 14 day returns. If you list a few items without return then you will not receive the discount on those particular items is all.

2 people like this.
  20. rhyme

rhyme Well-Known Member

I got a little antsy and just got done talking to them. As per the rep the feedback is valid because my delivery time is est between 4-11 days and 4 days have passed since his purchase.

I will just wait until it shows delivered likely tom and try again.