1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. GM-H

GM-H Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info!

2. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Congrats! Do you measure your goal in $ or what you can buy with it? 1 1/8 Bugatti?

I beat my probably much more modest goal by almost $10k profit. But I had I would have done better if I didn't also change out my wardrobe. Bright side, I swapped out a bunch of Ben Sherman level stuff from my wardrobe and replaced it with Isaia and Kiton, so any further swaps will net equal to what I'm replacing. Until I learn about some other unobtanium I can't live without.

Great written feedback makes my day. The ones that sound genuinely sincere and thankful. I try to always write people thanking them for the feedback, something along the lines of "glad you liked it, it's an awesome ..."

3. guccihomme

guccihomme Well-Known Member

Is there an alternative to using PayPal on eBay? I don't like they're not federally insured and can hold funds without cause for six months while "investigating". I don't know why they're not a bank when functioning as a bank.

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Use a credit card through PayPal to allow your self protection through the cc company. They're non fdic because their accounts do not accrue interest. There is no risk in the deposited funds. All the risk is from transactions and purchases made through a 3rd party. PayPal is more than just a means of purchasing on eBay. They are a separate entity, used for merchant services. Do other merchant service companies at brick & mortars offer protection through fdic? No. They are just there to take funds from point A, and re deposit into point B, securely.

1 person likes this.
  5. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I really love the attitude of some people. This asshat still hasn't told me why he doesn't think my item description was accurate. Of course, every single communication from him has been in all caps. He's a 2-feedback buyer. I contacted the other person who left him feedback who told me he has also caused problems for them.

[​IMG]

6. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Waiting for package to arrive AND my refund? How is it not as described if he hasn't received the package yet?
    Did you give his username?

7. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

He/she/it (hopefully) sent the sweater back in the same condition I sent it to Brooklyn. It claimed that the sweater was used (not NWT, as I described and photographed), but did not elaborate as to why it felt that way, and turned belligerent once I asked for clarification.

Apparently my once-yearly problem customer will "buy" a Polo Ralph Lauren sweater every year from here on.

I mentioned this one a page or two back, but to bring it to the top, the username is: [​IMG]

Yes, I was feedback #1 in this case. The second person to leave feedback for this cretin told me they caused problems for him/her as well.

8. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

OK guys.....one of the advantages of being older is that you are in a position to give and get really nice christmas gifts.

So thanks to my wife for this great d7100 bundle she gave me for christmas. I'm very early in the learning curve and can't use it for eBay yet, but its an awesome machine and I'm looking forward to using it. Came with a couple zoom lenses, but on the search for a nice pre-owned 35mm f1.8 AF lens.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  9. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Pretty much. I issued him a refund (minus original shipping), but even if the guy left me negative feedback just to be a dick, eBay won't remove it. Buyer sends back damaged item, I issue a refund anyway, guy leaves me negative feedback, eBay concludes this is fair. Unbelievable.

1 person likes this.
  10. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Congrats on the Camera, thats stepping into big boy league! I may have a 35mm f.18 lens. I never use it, as I know its great for portraits and low light situations.

12. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

First skeet. Do you guys have better luck with auction or BIN?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. My Main Man

My Main Man Well-Known Member

I'd do an auction for something that outrageous. It'll get plenty of views and plenty of bids and sell for a solid amount within a week. BIN you might end up waiting longer for not a ton more $$$. And who knows? It could go for way more than you'd set at a BIN price.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. Brianpore

15. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

This is how I gauge the price that a skeet will go for... I put this shirt up as a BINOBO about 24 hours ago. I just received the 5th offer. If no one hits the BIN button (or offers within $5 of it) by Thursday, it's going up for auction.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Yea mine just sits because 99.9% of shots are for the business. And I basically need a zoom lens. But the little I've used the 1.8 it's been a really nice lens. Great for indoor shots, and even outdoor.

17. suited

suited Well-Known Member

On a more positive note, this month was my best month ever, with $6,100 in sales with 1.5 days left in the month.

Wanted to recommend this shelf from Home Depot. Each shelf is rated for 600lbs, or 3,600lbs total and it assembles in 5 minutes with no tools. It also has optional wheels (the wheels were on the shelf next to it). The ability to move it around your office or home without having to take everything off is a big convenience. I'm also currently using it as a light stand. It holds a lot of shit. They make a slightly smaller version that's black (36" width versus 48").

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-48-i...ommercial-Shelving-Unit-6T60184872C/100655787

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

The lens I really want for creating listings is Canon's 24-105 f/4.0 L Series. Having a constant minimum aperture would be really nice for doing this sort of photography.

For a fixed focus lens, I'd prefer a 20mm f/2.8 or a 24mm f/1.8. I actually have an older 20mm lens, but it only works at f/2.8, which is really annoying when trying to adjust exposure and adjust the depth of field.

19. Brianpore

Why do you want a minimum aperture and depth of field? I know very little, just what I have learnt from doing this on my own but I bump up my aperture to at least 6.3 or 7.1 so that more of the entire item is in focus. If I shoot lower then that the sides of the picture are blurry which is nice for other things but looks weird in product shots....something I'm missing?

20. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Lower aperture allows two things: more light gets in, allowing for faster shutter speeds (this can be crucial if I'm on my fifth double espresso of the morning -kidding, of course); and it allows for a minimum DOF, which is nice for detail shots if you want the effect.

Neither is necessary, just allows for different types of shots.