1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. 83glt

83glt Well-Known Member

Absolutely the original owner. We used the serial number in the listing and entered it into ebay's listing template to bring up all of the boilerplate info on the specifications. I think reporting it to authorities might be a recourse. I have her address after all. I was also thinking about civil legal action, but it would be limited to small claims. Maybe Judge Judy will take the case?

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

Is it possible for a buyer with feedback to have anything other than 100% positive?

3. 83glt

83glt Well-Known Member

I guess that shows how long I've been on ebay. I remember the days when a seller could leave negative feedback for a buyer. Also, sometimes, in EXTREME cases, and where I feel it's warranted, I will leave positive feedback with negative comments, hoping to put a warning out to other sellers for a little while at least until that particular feedback gets bumped down the page. I've done it a couple times over the last few years, usually where the buyer dicks me around with payment.

4. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

Civil remedy is nice in theory, but for such an inexpensive item, a very costly one to enforce. You would likely have to go to her place of residence to follow suit for jurisdiction ($$), pay to have her served process (more $$) and then pay the court filing fees (yet again, more $$). Finally, once you obtain judgment you will have to enforce it in some manner (more time and probably more $$).

I think filing the criminal action can actually get your property back to you faster, assuming the authorities where she lives are worth a darn. The threat alone of the patrol to the house may change things drastically as compared to some process server.

1 person likes this.
  5. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

Plus, you'd have to personally appear for any procedures (most jurisdictions don't allow for attorneys to represent small claims litigants) so figure travel costs into the mix (if you could have an attorney rep you, that would obviously be a cost issue). The criminal complaint is a mixed bag and depends on the local authorities, which in my experience not likely to take any action.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  6. caseyfud

caseyfud Well-Known Member

Time to take justice into your own hands.

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Mailing a turd?

8. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

Messy hands...

9. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

+1

83glt, hopefully you have find my phone on your old iPad, maybe that would be helpful.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  10. caseyfud

caseyfud Well-Known Member

For this kind of work you're going to have to get your hands dirty...

11. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a coat and found out there was a stain on the sleeve (despite the seller mentioning there were no stains). I told the seller this and uploaded a photo since the original listing said he/she did not accept returns. Usually in this scenario, I get a response about allowing a return or getting a refund/credit.

However, I received the following response:

I'm sorry for this happening I didn't notice the stain but I can't accept returns on vintage items for they are mostly as-is items.

If I would have noticed this I would have taken it to the cleaners and then have to raise the price on the item.
    The stain does look very removable though. Something the dry cleaners could take care of.

Hope you understand.

What should I do? Should I attempt to dry clean it at all?

The seller has a 100% rating with 31 ratings in the past 12 months and has been an eBay member since 2009.

12. Pawz

Pawz Well-Known Member

The item was not as described. EBAY/PayPal favors the buyer, so... You're good!

13. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

+1

14. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

Well I didn't really want to give a negative rating; I don't think the seller meant it. I'm a tad surprised he/she didn't offer any recourse other than dry cleaning though.

I'm thinking the seller also might be a vintage store, so perhaps an employee that doesn't know much about eBay answered me? Perhaps I should send another message at another time and try for another response?

15. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

Ebay would side with the thief.

16. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

If you want to be nice, you can try contacting them again. The truth is that you have an extremely strong case. If you want to keep the item, you can offer to have it dry cleaned and see if the spot comes out. You might even ask the seller to partial refund the amount to get the garment into the same condition it should have arrived in.

It sounds like you are being fair, but they do not have a choice if you want to return it. They neglected to list the item correctly. Not accepting returns does not insulate them when the misrepresent a product they are selling. I cannot list a stafford suit as a Kiton by omitting the label and then writing "sold as is" somewhere in the listing. Note though, that returning the garment may require you to pay return shipping.

Edit: negative feedback is made for this exact reason. If the seller is not willing to make right on their mistake, you should let other potential buyers know. I sure as hell would want to know a seller that overlooked a stain also tried to stick me with the problem.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  17. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

18. mjt73106

mjt73106 Well-Known Member

In the 4,000 + eBay transactions that I have been a participant, only a very, very few items have been problematic to this degree. None have involved apparel. This is not to say that I have not sold some expensive garments, I have. But for whatever the reasons, I have never really experienced the problems with apparel sales. The real issues that I have experienced were related to non-apparel items. Even then, the vast majority of buyers have been honest. I actually shipped a $2,500 transmission to a guy in Moscow and all was fine. I am not sure if I would do that now. . . there have been some both civil and criminal actions based upon eBay transactions. I am sure that you can Google them up. . .

Thinking "out of the box" sometimes can present a powerful alternative.

+1 Well stated. As someone that has purchased apparel via eBay and thrifts, I always factor in either dry cleaning or laundering into a clothing purchase. As sellers of apparel, I am sure that we have all over looked minor defects due to the lighting or the sheer volume of items that we sell. I sincerely doubt that anyone on this thread would go to the effort to sell anything that has visual defects, or at a minimum of fully disclosing the condition in the description and with photos. I certainly have discarded a significant number of items after the inspection process that I have prior to listing an item for sale.

19. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Guys: Advice needed asap.

Have a tie listed this week. Has a bid. Went to look for it to pack it and it's nowhwere to be found. Concerned I gave it away as a free gift. 45 mins left to auction; too late to cancel bids. Should I contact the buyer now? Wait till auction end? Thoughts?

20. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Register a second account and buy a tie :hide:

1 person likes this.