1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Reosymes

Reosymes Well-Known Member

Not gonna make into an Oscar-acceptance speech, but thank you guys for all your help and advice.

[​IMG]

With 115 lifetime transactions and 2 defects already I don't expect to hold on to it for long, but it's a good feeling nevertheless. I don't offer returns so this is the highest I can climb up this greasy pole. Do I still get some discounts, though? Ebay's language is confusing. They start off with Top Rated and immediately segue into the discounts sellers will be able to enjoy as Top Rated Plus sellers.

2. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you receive shipping discounts but no FVF discounts.

1 person likes this.
  3. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Hey guys, how long do you think it would take for a package of ties (4) to be sent from Ontario to southern Ohio using "lowest cost" shipping? I ethrifted several RLPL ties , won on the 10th, and the seller used an untracked shipping method. As I won the ties for .99 plus shipping, I'm wondering if I'm being impatient or if I'll never see the ties.

4. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Well-Known Member

my untracked packets take 7-10 days to be received in California normally

5. futuremyth

futuremyth Well-Known Member

It really depends on how it was shipped, but I've had packages take as long as 3 weeks to arrive in the US before (albeit rarely). IMO just sit tight, and open a case if it hits a month or more.

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Sit tight for 6 months, you'll have time to open a case through paypal [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I don't purchase a lot from outside the US, so I really didn't know what to expect re:shipping times.

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

PSA
    Thought this may be of some benefit to others who use vista print for certain items. Had to order couple thousand more cards, and was able to find a 33% off code for the order. SALE33 - Ends 9-24-14.

9. Yorker

Yorker Well-Known Member

Checking the authorities on shipping matters here:

$350 New with tag and box scarf. 1 pound, 2 ounces. shipping to london, purchased with $39 in shipping charges, but shipping is listed as first class international. I think I meant to list it as priority international. Anyhow, should I buy priority at $40, or first class at 20? Would I be jeopardizing my seller protection by buying a different (albeit better) shipping?

advice much appreciated!

10. Brianpore

$350...I would go express + insurance for the extra $10 (usually around $50).... Spooooooo?

1 person likes this.
  11. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

+1.
    Express for sure.

1 person likes this.
  12. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

13. Brianpore

14. tben

tben Well-Known Member

3 people like this.
  15. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  16. suited

suited Well-Known Member

17. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

No shit. Dual vent, too. And solid navy.

Yes, tiny, but very reweavable. And see above re: everything it had going for it.

Pleats on suits is still the norm, no matter what #menswear says.

18. Brianpore

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  19. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

But #menswear has a "saying" for a reason...that carries over into many peoples minds of what they want to look like, and what they are wanting to buy.

I'd honestly think that the majority of buyers are looking for flat front trousers over pleats. The suit sale does seem a bit low, especially for the quality. But the brand and the pleats scream classic. Classic buyers want to buy items that are in near perfect condition. They probably don't know what a reweave is...Its unfortunate that those factors play a large roll in people committing to purchase, but I guess that is reality for that suit sometimes.

Like Brian said, I would of expected about 50+ for that suit even with the flaw, but there it goes.

20. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

Way behind on the threads (I won't even mention how much I need to read on the thrift thread) because I've been in sunny Idaho and, well, because the site still crashes Firefox. Question:

Yea or nay on Poland?

"I am interested in your orange Kiton 100% Cashmere jacket from this listing of yours ->

Would you consider to ship this lovely jacket to Poland with USPS First Class Mail Intl?
    It would be about 30-40usd."

The guy has 77 feedback, all positive (one says that he bought never ended up paying for the item).