1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Well-Known Member

He insulted you in his e-mail ("bogus"). Case closed!

1 person likes this.
  2. Lirum

Lirum Well-Known Member

Because I've had trouble finding it twice now, the link to initiate the new ebay Bulk Shipping Tool with any to-be-shipped orders http://bulk.labels.ebay.com/postage/create?

The SKU discussion/workflow discussion on this thread in the past few weeks has been unmatched by any other available information on the web. Great, great job guys.

2 people like this.
  3. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  4. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Well-Known Member

This may have just solved a big question for me as well. I have a Dries Van Noten women's suit, with the tagged size "42". Am I correct in assuming that Belgium uses the German sizing rubric, so that according to the conversion chart, the suit is a size 12? The jacket measurements are: Armpit to Armpit 20 inches Waist 19.5 inches Length from Back of Collar 30 inches Shoulder to Shoulder 16.25 inches Sleeve from Shoulder Seam 23 inches +1.5

1 person likes this.
  5. Lirum

Lirum Well-Known Member

6. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

7. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

Not sure how you think this is Pro-Seller, it seems to me that buyers will find out about the free return shipping and everything will become a SNAD.

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

THIS JUST HAPPENED

Buyer purchases a NWT suit. Labeled a 46 XL per the tag.
    Detailed Measurements were provided.

Buyers initiates a return based on "Item Defective" "fits more like a 44 than a 46"

Seller responsible for return shipping, and I cannot initial my restock fee...

What chances do I have to turn this return around to "item did not fit" and its buyers responsibility. No way in hell this is my fault for a buyer not using measurements, and not know their size from a tailor house, brand, cut. Especially when the item is new, and unaltered.

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

If you had the picture of the tag on there and labeled it correctly, then how can they win? It's like saying 'this shirt fits like a small not a medium'. Can't really argue that when the tag says medium...

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I know, it sounds like a no brainer. But what scares me is that we are talking about eBay. They can be irrational more times than not.

1 person likes this.
  11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Right, but they're not arguing with your measurements, they're arguing with the tagged size. Did the guy cut off the tags?

12. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

He is now threatening me with a chargeback since he paid with a credit card...

EDIT:

Called eBay, explained my case,
    buyer threatened feedback extortion,
    threaten to plot a charge back,
    and also threatened to refer my case to the federal prosecutor in the eastern district of California....LOL

Ebay noted everything on the account, and said what he has done certainly will not help his case. They said not much can be done until the buyer actually sends back the item. So I don't think I'll have any problems winning this one over, but it pains me to have to go through this nonsense for these idiotic buyers who try and cheat the system over and over.

My restock fee will be close to 50$. Normally I won't charge that full amount, but in this case, I would double it if I could.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  13. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

Stop talking with him and start talking with eBay. No good can come of you arguing with facts/logic with this douche.

3 people like this.
  14. FlorianQC

Isn't that against ebay policy as soon as the buyer requests a discount or something like that? Seems to me a chargeback at your expense is the exact same thing?!

15. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I've used this tactic before, and I'll briefly explain.

I sent him a message after the return was initiated. My message said something to the following.

Hello, I see you have started a return on the suit. I have no problem accepting the return, and I'm sorry the item did not work out for you. Unfortunately you have stated the item was not as described, and also that this new item was defective. Those two statements are false, as the item was described perfectly stating the labeled size, along with a picture, and also showing measurements for which you could refer to. Again, I will have no problem taking the return, but the shipping costs and restock fee will be your responsibility. As those two rules are stated clearly in all my listings.

Thanks for your time.

--

This tactic was used to boil his blood a bit, while staying within the guidelines of eBay. I basically just reiterated my stand, and the facts at hand.

This got him to react just as I needed him to. I needed leverage to up my chances at winning. As you can see above, he threatened feedback, with many other things. There in lies my leverage, and gave me the opportunity to call eBay, have everything noted, and will be able to reference that at a later time.

I also told the rep, this sound like he has plotted this arrangement prior to acting upon it. (True or not, I needed the rep to agree, and note.) I said, planning to start a chargeback on a credit card is a plot that has been premeditated with the intentions of breaking eBay policy and guidelines. "He is trying to get out of his error and put the blame of buyers remorse on the seller" Those were my words to the rep (American rep, thank god).

4 people like this.
  16. FlorianQC

Machiavelic :D I used a somewhat similar strategy once but it only worked through the appeal, not in the "first instance". You also have to have your listings stating the restocking fee/return shipping ^^

Good job

17. futuremyth

futuremyth Well-Known Member

PayPal would like to welcome us all to a new era of unending bullshit

1. Dispute Filing Window
      We’re increasing the time for buyers to file a merchandise dispute (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days. All references in the User Agreement to “Opening a Dispute within 45 days” have been updated to reflect “Opening a Dispute within 180 days.” The Sections these changes appear include the Introduction, 3.15, 13.2 and 13.5

2 people like this.
  18. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Does eBay and PayPal REALLY think they have enough sellers??

Are they seriously heavily focused towards a buyers end, only to attract a repeat purchase?

I am somewhat amazed at their approach. I can only think that instead of growing sellers in numbers, they will nickel & dime what sellers are around, while giving rusty trombones willingly to any buyer who comes strolling their way. It's usually bad for business when you begin to throw morals and ethics out the window, and acting biased towards one group of customers.

They say they have sellers best interest protected, but eBay does not ever make a decision outside of their handbook. Somewhat robotic the way they decide their cases. No rational thinking is involved, no personal logic is put into a case by case process. They let the book decide our fate! Yet, when it comes to a buyer claiming an item is not to their PERSONAL satisfaction because of xyz, eBay drops to their knees for the money shot, which we have to swallow as buyers...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    2 people like this.
  19. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I recommend everyone ban lad-dog from their stores. I mixed up 2 packages and the guy acted like a major jerk about it, even though I offered to send him a prepaid label to correct the problem.