1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. I skimmed the list of brands and wouldn't buy any of them at any price (unless the RL was PL or BL, which I'm sure it is not). If you want to set up a booth at the local flea market, sure. For selling on ebay, no way.

1 person likes this.
  2. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Well-Known Member

Just had an interesting ebay experience. I sold an item about 2 months ago. About 5 weeks later I got very positive feedback on the item. Today I got it back from the post office, it was never picked up. [​IMG] Weird!!!!

Several years ago I had a similar experience but this time the buyer did not post feedback. Item came back 2 months later, never heard from the buyer.
    Has anybody have similar experiences?

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

lol yes. My most recent was a few weeks back, I had an international purchase arrive back to me. Unclaimed item. Buyer never reached out, never heard a thing. So resold it.

I've had more than a few of other crazy stories like this as well.

4. TheNeedMachine

Only the occasional buyer who leaves positive feedback before I even ship the thing. And some time-travel mishaps, but that's for a different thread.

5. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

Have a German buyer who bought some shoes and doesn't want them delivered for a couple weeks...how do i wait to ship without taking a defect? or am I better off just sending and hope it takes a couple weeks to get to Germany?

6. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Ask them not to pay until ready for you to ship the item. Had a similar issue a couple years ago and ebay customer support said they couldn't do anything to help me.

7. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I just made my very first ever eBay sale (not clothing). Excited like a little kid now.

3 people like this.
  8. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Going down a slippery slope. It was about 1 1/2 years ago I was posting clothes using my phone and the ebay mobile app on my bed, now it's:
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  9. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Well-Known Member

New favorite message:

Quote: How should I respond?

10. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

I think it's an 11, the pimp I bought it off so he could make bail said it was his nicest jacket...he had 23 girls locking down the upper east side corners so I value his opinion as a man who knows his way around the ladies.

3 people like this.
  11. TheNeedMachine

Wtf. I would ignore and block. You deal with enough wackadoos on ebay, no need to get into a discussion with one.

12. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Well-Known Member

Welp he just won and paid. He's got 100% feedback on ~700 transactions. I'm not too worried. I almost feel bad for him though. Sounds like English isn't his first language and he's just looking for how to start dressing better or something. He did just buy a black suit coat orphan from me though so...

13. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Well-Known Member

Sorry for the noob question, but what style of shoe is this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's c&j shell cordovan in derby? I have no idea

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  14. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

apron toe/moc toe blucher.

1 person likes this.
  15. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Well-Known Member

Much appreciated :slayer:

16. dukedishin

dukedishin Well-Known Member

So I know the topic of using video in listings has come up a couple times...this guy seems to be actually selling for a higher average price than comparable listings, maybe the video is the difference maker?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hickey-Free...509885?pt=US_CSA_MC_Suits&hash=item2c8aef74fd

For those of us who don't take pictures and edit with machine-like efficiency, this may be a faster option combined with a couple pics.

Has anyone experimented with this successfully?

17. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

His videos are too long, and too uninformative...thats my opinion. I don't want to watch a 12 minute video on how to measure a jacket (incorrectly to be frank)

I'll also add that his videos describing a specific item are also wasted, and bear no important information that isn't already derived from the listing details.

18. dukedishin

dukedishin Well-Known Member

Interesting thoughts...I guess I was just referring to the product-specific videos. They might not add information, but maybe they make bidders feel more comfortable to see their item in a video setting from many angles. From an efficiency standpoint, he's shooting videos unedited in about 1:45 for each item, which is not a lot of time to spend for the added benefit, assuming there is one.

19. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind a silent video showcasing the item itself. It can add a dimension not otherwise seen in photos.

2 people like this.
  20. Reosymes

Reosymes Well-Known Member

Exactly. And it would have to be done very well. One thing I also don't like is that he routinely tries on jackets in his videos. I mean, sure, we are looking to buy pre-owned clothes but having the seller wear the suit you're about to buy just turns me off. More so if the item is expensive. I might be in the minority here because, frankly, I don't even like seeing hands and fingers in product photos, propping up the inside tag to take a better picture. I'd rather pin the label or hold it down with a pen or something.

1 person likes this.