1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. mjt73106

mjt73106 Well-Known Member

+1 - It used to be that you could send items directly to their repair center, but I believe their policy is now that the items has to be sent to the repair center via a store. Generally speaking, if it has the loop, from everything I have ever read it is authentic.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

Well, I did that first thing, even before I posted my original query. BUT I only replied to say Please resubmit your question via ebay messages so that we're both protected.

So far I've heard nothing via that channel. My guess is I won't because...

I checked the delivery information (thank god I use tracking!) - it was delivered yesterday at 11:58 am. So within 24 hours he'd cast his eye on the tie, decided for whatever reason to stop by a Hermes retail outlet, got it "authenticated" and then dropped me a line via personal email (which he probably got from the shipping label - for some reason Canada Post puts it on the label). He seems pretty hot to trot.

Yet when I ask him to get the ball rolling via a formal channel I hear nada?

He should be so lucky to get another Hermes at that price!

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. If things do proceed I'll be prepared.

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Send Brianpore his username, for the list

4. tben

tben Well-Known Member

It is authentic. And I would agree. I would have payed you that much for it.

5. hucklecat

hucklecat Well-Known Member

We do OK shipping to Russia. Haven't had a claim yet, but we are counting on it to eventually happen. Build that scenario into your shipping price. You can add $1 or $2 into the handling cost if you are worried about it. If your average price is $20 like ours you will do OK if 10% get a claim filed. The non-USA buyers will buy items with no "offer" price either. If they like they buy it! I We really like the off shore market. The Russians got plenty of $$ to spend and are getting into the internet so its wide open.

6. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

7. FaceOfBoh

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  8. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

This actually just happened to me yesterday for the first time. The guy wanted to buy the tweed and the bow tie. I told him I loved my bow tie and it had become sort of a trade mark for my tweed listings. I did offer him a different bow tie, but haven't heard back from him yet.

9. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

I haven't been asked for shirts and ties, but I have taken to stating that they are not included in the auction.

10. capnwes

[​IMG]

Don't you hate it when you take pictures for an hour and then realize there is no memory card in the camera! I don't have time for this shit!

11. anakin

anakin Well-Known Member

Well if the oh-so-unpleasant gentleman sends it back, I'll pleasantly take it off your hands (Canada) haha. [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

Love your eBay username!

[​IMG]

13. catside

catside Well-Known Member

Yep, what's with that user name? :D

14. Brianpore

Might need to upgrade there....mine says "no memory card" when you turn it on and try to take a picture.

15. capnwes

I just got it (used from Dustinmyself), and I absolutley I love it, the photos are great. I have actually gotten 3 or 4 compliments on my pics from shoppers since I started using it. I really was wanting a Nikon D3100, but this D40 is working out great at a fraction of the cost. Unfortunately it only tells you "No Memory Card" when you switch to play back mode. I have no other complaints with it. Oh well...just have to be more careful.

16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

That is the worst shit ever.

17. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Well-Known Member

What happens when I win an auction without paying for the product?
    Does I get sued by the seller, or something?

The reason why I am asking is because I want to win an auction for an awesome cashmere sweater,
    but I have to ask the seller about something before I send the money and purchase the product.

18. FaceOfBoh

lol - love the emoticon!

The name is the last remanent in my life of a band I used to play in. I was in it at the time I signed up on ebay in '02 so just adopted it as my handle.

I often wonder if I get a some mileage from a more feminine name. There's a plumbing place in town here called the Cat Lady. They do plumbing and roto-rooting. I had them come out once and when I was talking to the guy he said that the husband and wife who started the company purposefully chose a feminine name and all their telephone operators are women. They felt they get more appeal from that tactic.

19. Brianpore

You;ll prob find your name on the 'black list' [​IMG]

20. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Well-Known Member

Even if I tell the seller that I can't buy the product because of the answer he gave me?
    Oh, damn. I don't want to buy stuff that don't fit me.