1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Well-Known Member

yeah that's a case in progress actually. I have to wait for eBay to rule the case :/ To avoid future problems with BINOBO I just set auto-refusals. Never used that before

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  2. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

I don't see lowball offers as a "douche move." Some sellers accept some pretty crazy low offers. Not most of the time, but it happens, and you never know unless you ask. It takes 15 seconds of a seller's time to decline an offer - or zero seconds if they have an auto-decline.

A "douche move" is sending a lowball offer and then getting mad when it's declined. Like this would-be Boateng buyer did.

4 people like this.
  3. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

The problem with BINOBO is that 95% of the time as a buyer, if I make my first offer what I'm actually realistically wanting to pay, you're going to counter higher and I'm out...so I have to come in lower to try to end up where I want to be. I have had very few BINOBO were they took what I offered on the first try, human nature is to counter because we all want to win the negotiation. I wouldn't have considered it a douche move, counter @ 400 and see what he comes back with, who knows his second offer could have been 300.

2 people like this.
  4. FlorianQC

This is actually an AWESOME fake and it looks incredible on the photos. That's where the guy caught me actually.

So yeah maybe my story wasn't well described :

I went to see 2 opticians. One is my local Costco and the other is Farhat which is a local/Quebec store chain (anyway). They sell the RB3026 model so I was able to compare them, I don't really mind if the optician laughed at me because he's a professional and he knows his shit. I just wanted to see for myself ^^

I bought this pair because it's 62mm and not 58mm like 95% on what you see in stores generally. So with the pair I have, the size is all fucked up (those are the same size than RB 3025, which is 58mm) and the glasses temple are made in plastic and note in metal. Another thing gave it away, there is a problem with one the welding on the left side of the right lens (you can see it actually on photo 10/11 on the eBay listing). It is plastic that hasn't been properly 'melted'. Metal would never do that.

Anyway I tried the RB3026 and those are totally different. First of all, the frame is metallic and obviously it feels metallic. I can't make you guys sense metal through SF hehe. I honestly considered keeping those because it was cheap but the size is fucked up. But it's the best fake I've ever seen (and I've seen plenty on flea markets).

The worst is actually the sticker. You can't really see it on the eBay listing but the sticker is faded/damaged. It is an actual sticker (they had the same at the stores) but it's from a real pair. It has been resticked. The box is not displayed but it is also damaged (well beyond mere transportation problems). The guy at Farhat had to admit it was a pretty good scam! Apart from the lenses/temples being plastic instead of glass/metal, he showed me the 'ultimate' difference : 'POLARIZED' not being written on the temple, like it should be... That's the only photo that wasn't included in my listing... I feel kinda dumb now :X

5. FlorianQC

It makes sense but I just looked at recently closed auctions for OB suits and sticked a similar price just to see if people were interested. OB is a pretty rare find!
    Yeah it looked like he was okay getting an 'old suit' for 150$. Anyway I did a polite/funny response, there's no need for making the guy even more angry..

6. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

OK. I've shipped stuff to china, but never a $500 item, to a buyer with 0 feedback, user ID created 2 day's ago.

What do you guys advise? My inclination is to tell him to come back when he's got 10 or so recommendations. However, he can order paper clips and get the auto feedback and get there.

Comments?

[​IMG]

7. socrates

socrates Well-Known Member

But yet many sellers accept. It is crazy not to ask. "There is a saying in German, asking does not cost anything."

8. FlorianQC

Yeah I know we have the same saying in French... I'll use it next time I'll see an awesome OB suit in my size ahah. Totally worth it for 150 bucks :)

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Make sure its a confirmed address, eligible for seller protection, and use USPS express, insured and declared to the full amount and you will be fine!

1 person likes this.
  10. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Some of you need to learn how the BIN OBO game is played.... amateurs [​IMG]

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. carry on

11. FlorianQC

I've been in this game for... 2 months! So... fuck yeah ahah!!

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

you would suggest registered mail? :poke:

13. Brianpore

1 person likes this.
  14. Reosymes

Reosymes Well-Known Member

Do you guys upgrade your shipping method for more expensive purchases? For pants, I usually do legal FR envelope or padded FR envelope, but someone just bought a pair of pants (~$100, free shipping) straight up, without even making an offer. I'm thinking of using a RRA box, which is about $4 more. Would anyone else consider doing the same?

2 people like this.
  15. richnet12

richnet12 Well-Known Member

Good idea...

1 person likes this.
  16. Brianpore

Always. Would you want to receive a $100 pair of pants smushed into a flat rate envelope......

One thing for a $50 pair of pants where the shipping cost is 10% of the actual item (before ebay/paypal take out the 13%) but for $100 pants, they always go in a box. I'll also send $100 shirts in boxes vs. 1st class mail depending on where its going.

1 person likes this.
  17. Lirum

Lirum Well-Known Member

18. Brianpore

You have 14 day return window ... honor that, then fight it, at least I would.... call ebay.... you say tagged 33 and shoe a picture of the tag and provide measurements. If he cant ship it back he has to open a case and from my experience as long as you speak with an ebay rep and make sure you say "you feel its buyers remorse" etc etc etc you should win.

1 person likes this.
  19. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

Please post the buyer ID so I can block. Anyone who asks for a partial refund on a pair of pants that don't fit is suspect in my book.

2 people like this.
  20. Reosymes

Reosymes Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. That's what I thought, too.