1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

I think I've done this about 3 times just by mislabeling packages. Luckily, it has always been with lower value items and I've just refunded and told the person to keep the item in every instance but one (they guy was such a dick in his initial message that there was no way I was going to refund and let him keep it) . Especially if the items were thrifted, is it really worth the time and hassle, plus paying for return shipping?

2. namdaemun

namdaemun Well-Known Member

I opened up a case against him so we'll see what ebay says. Buyer acknowledged jacket should be sent yet he hasnt done anything. Its sad because he's a business owner too...well, he sells vaporizers so maybe his business sense is diff than ours but we'll see if he does the RIGHT thing.

I've been nothing but upfront, honest, and practiced great business sense with all of my clients. It's unfortunate people will do anything for a buck.

3. cdgreg

cdgreg Well-Known Member

If you're considering bubble are you purposefully ignoring the free flat rate priority mail bubble mailers from USPS? With no super discount, but purchasing online shipping they are $5.70ish to ship. Another option that I have read on here is putting item into poly, and putting that into legal flat rate mailer which I think is $5.25ish. I'm not against straight poly, but I haven't tried it yet or looked into the first class cost vs. Priority flat rate. Hell, I remember a couple years ago when I ordered some clothes from an Express clearance I received a suit coat, multiple sweaters, and shirts all in one giant poly bag with the inside articles of clothing wrapped in individual plastic.

I also charge S&H for 95% of my items, so that may differ from some here who are 100% free shipping.

4. cdgreg

cdgreg Well-Known Member

Looking for some feedback from the more experienced sellers, if you are willing to share. When considering a TIE in the same brand, model, and material, what exactly is it that can cause one tie to have a ton of hits, a number of watchers, and a quick sale when a similar brand/model/material gets no love? For example:

BB Makers Maroon with gold diagonal stripe (with wrinkles), 70+ hits, 5 watchers, and sold within 2 days:
    [​IMG]

Some "similar" ties (all BB makers, similar title and description HTML) that are getting NO LOVE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is a diagonal stripe much preferred to horizontal? Is maroon a preferred color over navy? Or maybe another way to ask is what really helps a tie sell, and what are deterants? I remember reading Spoo's post last week where he mentioned Long or Short suits tend to drop the average sale price 25% (I think it was in this range). Are there little factors that have a major impact like this on ties?

Thanks again for those willing to share some of their expertise.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  5. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

The first one is very Classic and Trad, the contrasting colors photograph very attractively too, the other three just don't have the same eye appeal.

2 people like this.
  6. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

My worst foul-up was refunding the wrong person to the tune of $200+...and then having to refund the correct person the same amount. Naturally, the wrong person kept the refund - called PayPal - no way to un-refund a refund at the time. That sucked.

7. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

That's a dirtbag move on that guy's part not to give you back the 200. Ouch.

2 people like this.
  8. MJMcRibb

That does suck! I've never refunded the wrong person, but I have refunded the entire amount when I meant to only do a partial since PayPal automatically puts the full amount in the refund box by default, and I ended up putting the intended refund amount in the "Invoice Number" box.

9. MJMcRibb

I've been getting flooded with the "Hey, I'll give you $xx for this item if I can buy it right now" messages over the last few days. The last one was $10 below the starting bid of an item I listed tonight[​IMG]

10. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Done that several times. Always when trying to do the refund on my phone. Fortunately the buyers all sent the money back. Pretty amazed by that actually.

11. joshmick

joshmick Well-Known Member

Kind of reminds me: I was buying some vinyl off of a message board I belonged to a long time ago (viva la vinyl) and accidentally sent the guy $1600 rather than $16.00. Luckily, he immediately refunded me and we had a laugh about it.

3 people like this.
  12. TheNeedMachine

My stupid-ass mistake [long story short: I had to refund a guy, email address was JohnSomething@whatever, amount $224.xx...by sheer coincidence I had another buyer with a JohnSomething@whatever email address for $224.zz on the same day...refunded the wrong John].
    I asked the dude to send it back, fully expecting he would not, and was not disappointed in the end.

I've caught that one too - refunding unintentional shipping overcharges for a few bucks, and almost refunded the whole amount. Now I'm super-careful, but don't get many returns since I don't sell a lot.

13. TheNeedMachine

...and...:

Wow, good karma all around for those guys. I've lived long enough to sort of believe in that - screw someone over and you eventually get screwed over in return. Easier to just do the right thing.

14. TheNeedMachine

OK triple post, scuze me...looking for a source for some shoe trees with the little brass (?) knob thing on top of the back/heel part. Strictly for taking eBay pics, so, cheap is good.

15. joshmick

joshmick Well-Known Member

Agreed, the whole golden rule thing is pretty wonderful...

Also, let us know his username so we can all block him.

16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

This. It just has to look nice.

PM'd you

1 person likes this.
  17. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I meant to refund a buyer $5 once and sent her $105 (entire purchase price). She never replied to my request for the money or even said thank you for the free down jacket. Some people are just plain evil...

18. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Tax related question - are you supposed to include shipping costs in your cost of goods sold? Or is it a business expense?

From what I remember in accounting classes shipping should be an expense, though it seems people are reporting both ways? I have how much each item sold for, shipping charged (or free shipping), etc, just not sure how I'm supposed to report it.

19. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

I would feel terrible doing that to somebody. Geez.

20. TheNeedMachine

This was a year or so ago - doubt I can dig up the info...