1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Lirum

Lirum Well-Known Member

I looked at the rest of the guys listings, but that definitely seemed like the best. My roommate almost doubled over when he saw it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. suited

suited Well-Known Member

I sold a winter overcoat to someone and they message me saying that "I received the jacket today and it smells and is dmusty. I would like to return it for a refund." I tried this jacket on several times to get a feel for the size, and I also inspect all of my items for smells. It didn't smell when I shipped it to him. I responded and said:

He said:

I said:

I guess at this point I'm hoping he opens a case and I'm able to win it. My guess is that it doesn't fit him, or he just doesn't like it and he's trying to game the system. The fact that he's lying is primarily what's making me refuse to offer the refund, even though he's been cordial in his language so far. I snagged a nice price for this topcoat, and the season for selling them is just about over, so I'd be taking a big hit by trying to resell it.

What would you do?

3. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll win

4. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

+1

Take return or offer partial refund. It's not worth the negative feedback.

5. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Normally, I would, but because he's being dishonest I am not going to offer the refund. Had he messaged me and said that it didn't fit, or it didn't look right on him, I would have been much more understanding. I don't have patience for BS, I guess. He opened a case, so we'll see what happens.

6. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

Was this thrifted?
    He might be more sensitive to smell
    U may not notice

7. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

I don't know. You came here for advice, and got good advice. You are risking your business basically to stick it to this guy, when you said yourself in the same situation with slightly different approach, you would have taken the return. I understand not liking what this guy is doing, but you're taking a big risk with your business to prove a point.

1 person likes this.
  8. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Yes, it was thrifted. Another topcoat that was from the same donor was thrifted with it, and that buyer seemed very happy with theirs. It didn't smell, I am sure of that.

I asked what others would do, I did not intend to imply that I was going to do the same thing.

I don't see it as proving anything, I see it as sticking to my principles, which is more important to me than a negative feedback remark. I have always worked with honest buyers on refunds.

9. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Dear Ebay, if you're going to give this message to buyers when they buy stuff, hold them to it!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Why can't people just subtract the full length by the inseam? It may not be precise, but within a .5 inch at most.

I fight with myself on this same thing. I can lose sleep over some returns...it can hurt at times. [​IMG]

that would be too ideal...

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Here's what can happen:

-Buyer opens case
    -Buyer wins case
    -Ebay gives full refund
    -You never get your item back because ebay decided the buyer won before they returned the item.
    -You're in an even worse spot than now.

Want to risk that?

Also, this thread needs to be locked from lurkers and non SF members. Seriously.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

When I print postage on ebay or paypal it uses a full 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. Half is the label and half is the Online Label Record, which shows the tracking number, ship date, cost, addresses, etc. I save these in case of IRS audit.

Here is a question for those of you who use the printed stickers for postage. Do you have any hard copy of a receipt for each piece of postage that you print? If not, what would you use to prove that it is a legitimate and real expense in case of IRS audit?

13. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

Your paypal account records don't count?

14. Steve Smith

I don't know if locking is the answer but I would suggest that in our advice and explanations we may be giving people an explanation of how to beat the system.

And if someone wanted to write an ebook called How to Rip Off Sellers on Ebay --- How I buy my clothing very cheap or even FREE!, he could find all the info he needs in this thread.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. Steve Smith

Which Paypal records, the line which says Mar 5, 2014 PayPal Services To US Postal Service Completed Details PayPal Services To US Postal Service 4VG277574K8342016 -$19.81 USD?

If you mean that one, I don't think so. Even if you print that out it only proves that you paid the USPS for something. It does not prove that the payment was for a deductible business expense. And if the IRS audits you 3 years from now you will not be able to retrieve any extra info because Paypal doesn't keep the details on file forever.

The IRS guidance I have found is confusing. You may have an out if the postage cost is less than $75 but I am not sure.

Does anyone here use an accountant for tax preparation for their selling business? If so, what does your accountant require that you keep as documentation of postage expenses?

16. green_machine

green_machine Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is just common sense but if you sell a thousand items on ebay and you have a thousand different shipping fees, is that not evidence enough that you shipped those items? -showing that it's a business expense.

17. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

[​IMG] +1, yes that should be sufficient.

18. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Be careful about any assumptions that involve government employees acting logically.

3 people like this.
  19. green_machine

green_machine Well-Known Member

When half my receipts look like they are printed on 1970 cash registers without any business name on it, I might have bigger problems.

20. Steve Smith

I have many fewer shipments than the number of items sold because of combined shipping. I have one buyer who buys 30 to 40 items in one shipment.

Anyway, my question is really not a request for a common sense answer. It is a request for an answer which has been vetted with an accountant or the IRS.