1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. rebel222

rebel222 Well-Known Member

No. Make sure it's legit before you ship the item.

2. rebel222

rebel222 Well-Known Member

Just got offered to join eBay's Global Shipping Program. eBay will handle international shipments. The seller ensures that the item makes it to eBay's US shipping center. After that, the seller is in the clear. eBay eats the loss of any damage after it clears the US shipping center.

This solves the International signature issue. Also, the eBay fees are calculated on the domestic shipping price, so that should reduce some final value totals by $25, or more. The downfall is that the buyer's shipping price considers import duties in the purchaser's shipping price. I'm sure all import duties will be assessed more accurately.

The trial period only works for the following countries:

Australia
    Bulgaria
    Canada
    Cyprus
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Estonia
    Finland
    Greece
    Hungary
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Malta
    Portugal
    Romania
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    United Kingdom

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  3. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Usps money order you cash at the post office.I would obviously cash it before shipping.

4. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Yeah it's fine to accept them. You can accept any type of payment you like, but ebay just makes it difficult to announce that in your listings. The last time I tried to mention I accepted M.O.s in my description, it got kicked back for it (that was probably 2 years ago). They like to get their paypal fees I guess. It may be different now.

5. caseyfud

caseyfud Well-Known Member

The RLPL sunglasses I put up just sold at the full BIN price ($125; earlier auctions had been ending between $75 and $100) to a user with 0 feedback who just signed up today, who lives in Australia. Tips on not getting ripped off here?

6. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

hope you charged an appropriate shipping price. Ensure he pays with a paypal account linked to a confirmed address. Ship via USPS express international, which offers tracking. Should be about $40.

7. caseyfud

caseyfud Well-Known Member

I just sent an invoice with the Express International price added on, so now I just have to wait for him to make the payment.

8. ruben

ruben Well-Known Member

Just sold a sportcoat to a guy in Japan.

In the past I've always just used USPS first class, but this thread and the guy's low feedback # have me worried.
    Any suggestions? I was thinking one of those international priority flat rate boxes.

9. concealed

no benefit of using international priority from my experience, tracking does not extend past US customs. Express International (starting at $38) provdes the best protection for sellers, charge accordingly.

10. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

India post provides full tracking for incoming USPS international priority, I don't know why you say it is not tracked beyond US customs

11. Mox C

Mox C Well-Known Member

I sent one to Germany via Priority and it was tracked to his post office. He had the package held there for pickup, and it said so in the tracking. I think a lot depends on the postal service of the receiving country.

Addressee requests own pick-up - Item being held, addressee being notified
    October 11, 2012, 5:47 am
    GERMANY
    International Parcels

Customs clearance processing complete
    October 09, 2012, 3:53 pm
    GERMANY

Customs Clearance
    October 09, 2012, 3:52 pm

Customs Clearance
    October 03, 2012, 11:54 am

Processed Through Sort Facility
    October 03, 2012, 11:53 am
    GERMANY

Processed Through Sort Facility
    September 27, 2012, 2:26 pm
    ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

Arrived at Sort Facility
    September 27, 2012, 6:32 am
    ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

Processed through USPS Sort Facility
    September 27, 2012, 12:10 am
    CHICAGO, IL 60688

Electronic Shipping Info Received
    September 25, 2012

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  12. concealed

that may be true, just going based on my own past experience and that of some other sellers.

I know that spoo uses international priority as well

13. capnwes

Yes...most countries do track priority.. but some don't.

14. Mox C

Mox C Well-Known Member

And on US eBay, I don't think there's a way to separate out different shipping based on country, just US and foreign. If you do an invoice and know the postal system you are sending it to tracks, then you can invoice Priority, but otherwise it probably makes sense to have Express listed in the auction.

15. tben

tben Well-Known Member

I purchased something from China on September 28. On October 4, it made it to the sort facility that I am assuming sorts the mail that goes to my local post office, then to my house. However, my item has been at that facility since October 4 and the estimated delivery was between October 17-30. Another buyer from the United States purchased something similar on October 12, and received his item on October 28. Luckily, nothing like this has ever happened to me in the past but this also means that my experience with these types of situations is limited. How do I proceed with the seller? In addition, I only have until, I believe November 7, to report any problems. Thanks in advance!

16. concealed

I don't really like filling out the customs forms, so as a built in deterrant, I only offer the Express shipping option. Provides me the best seller protection and service for buyers, and filters out non-serious bidders.

17. capnwes

Yeah that would work, plus the higher shown shipping cost would help weed out the non-serious bidders.

18. capnwes

Customs forms filled out automatically when purchased online....

19. concealed

just another reason why I need to look into some of the solutions you have mentioned to me!

then again, i am doomed to early onset carpal tunnel already!

20. tben

tben Well-Known Member

Hate to quote myself, but oh well.