1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

So no point fighting this at all? I guess from next time I need to start listing these as coats instead of sport coats to get around that. So "Coat, Jacket" instead of "sportcoat, jacket".

I did that because it's a navy jacket. Though seriously, he bought it with pictures that showed buttons, color, etc. How does the tag change everything? I sold him exactly what was advertised. A suit jacket without the pants is a jacket/sport coat. I thought that was fine, especially for navy.

Took out the name.

@COtoKS , can you edit my post that you quoted and do the same place? I missed it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

You have to list orphans as "suit coats" or "suit
    Jackets" and be explicit that the pants are not included. Otherwise you are definitely misrepresenting the item which is dangerous for you. Blazers and sport coats aren't interchangeable terms for suit jackets. Solid colored suit jackets will, however, sell. I'd take the return and relist with the more accurate terms.

3. Reigningchamp

Reigningchamp Well-Known Member

Wasn't even thinking about that when I shipped. I am not worried about him coming to see me. I stay strapped.
    You can put a ghost address, but if it gets lost...Well its gone.
    100% agree. Most can tell an orphaned suit jacket and would prefer not to wear it solo. You have to be honest with these buyers or you wont be selling for long.

4. ridethecliche

But if it didn't matter to him from the pictures, then why now?

I guess that's not the point. I offered a partial refund. If he says no. I'll ask him to ship it back and that I'll refund what he paid.

5. joshmick

joshmick Well-Known Member

It could be that he got the jacket and doesn't like the way it fits, or looks in person, etc. etc. The fact of the matter is that you gave him an "out" by listing it as a blazer. I agree, it's BS, but that's eBay

Now excuse me while I go edit one of my own "blazer" listings, haha

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

People get wrapped up in the difference between an orphan and a blazer as if it is a significant difference.

Are the buttons different? Almost always.
    Is the fabric different? Sometimes, but not always.
    Is the construction different? No. Any feature of a blazer can also be on a suit coat.

So if you have to look at a label to decide whether it is an orphan, it doesn't matter. If the buttons are pictured in the auction, what does it matter what the label says? I'm not saying don't take the return, I would. But the buyer is in that range of having a little bit of knowledge, which is a pain in the ass for a seller. What if you had cut out that label which included the trouser size? You would probably have a happy customer. The problem is mental. The jacket did not change. His perception of the jacket was changed by the label.

It is the same with the distinction between a odd jacket and a sport coat. I have seen Brooks Brothers build sheets on sport coats that 100% of SF members would guess to be an orphaned suit coat. Yet someone had it custom made as a sport coat. So what is it, an orphan? Nope, but it looks like one to most. What does it matter? If it is a fabric which you are comfortable wearing as a sport coat then wear it as a sport coat. If not then it is simple, don't buy it.

7. ridethecliche

Yeah, that's my point. I thought it was 'safe' to do because it's navy. I took pictures of all the buttons etc. I bet he's doing this for fit reasons.

This was my response:
    Dear Returner-dude,
    Jackets are often worn without pants as sport coats. I think this is an argument of semantics, but I want you to be happy with the purchase. I'd be willing to give you a partial refund of the price paid if that makes you happy. Thanks, Mr-Rish.

8. Steve Smith

I would also offer him a full refund if he wants to return it. I once had a trainer ask me if I would rather be right or be rich. This is one of those cases. The small amount of money involved here (the shipping fees) is not worth taking a negative feedback.

In other words, I would argue the orphan/blazer or odd jacket/sport coat case all day in theory with an SF member. If he is a buyer I take the return. I would rather be rich than right.

1 person likes this.
  9. ridethecliche

Yeah, if he says no, then I'll offer a full refund.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  11. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

I beg to differ, but only a little bit...construction can be a sticking point, especially when it comes to lapel width, vent(s) [or lack thereof], and gorge...in my limited experience. With the tagging though most folks consider it an orphan, though like you I have had sport coats that were tagged with a drop that were definitely SC's and not orphans (yep - mostly on BB coats). It can be a significant difference - in this case not as much, but in some cases, definitely.

As far as buyers having some knowledge, I welcome it - it's not a pain and I'd hope they read my listings - wordy as they can be sometimes - and know that I want them to be happy with their purchase.

Peace (of mind) sells - and folks are buying.

[​IMG]

12. marc roberto

marc roberto Well-Known Member

In don't see what exactly the difference is whether its an orphan or not, the pictures show quite clearly what you're getting. I think he's just misusing his power but save yourself a lot of trouble and take the return, block him and move him. I've been through guys like these.

13. marc roberto

marc roberto Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  14. Steve Smith

Is the construction different? No. Any feature of a blazer can also be on a suit coat. If you are differing on this point please list the differences. Specific, measurable differences in construction which differentiate a blazer from an orphan suit coat.

15. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

I do this as well. I put suit jacket in there because "suit" is a strong keyword, not because I'm afraid of a return.

I actually disagree with most people here - I think the buyer is in the wrong. But like any business, buyer satisfaction is paramount. I'd eat the lost, smile, and curse him silently.

1 person likes this.
  16. joshmick

joshmick Well-Known Member

I've never seen an unvented blazer, but I suppose in a very few and far between way, it's possible...

17. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

I've never seen an unvented blazer, but I suppose in a very few and far between way, it's possible...
    [​IMG] have you seen anything from say late 80's/90's? I think they forgot how to use vents. I pass lots of Armani and Canali Sport Coats and Blazer (not orphan suit coats) that are unvented.

3 people like this.
  18. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

I disagree with those saying that you must declare a jacket as an orphan, especially if the basis of that declaration is the drop number on a tag. It has been established before that some brands (canali is one I think) list a drop even on their odd jackets. Furthermore, there is genuine debate about the meaning of blazer, but in normal language it is simply another term for a jacket or sport coat, and neither is exclusionary of suit jackets.

In other words, what Brian said.

But I certainly agree with Brian on the tag photo too. Not sure why you chose to crop that photo.

Finally, I think better photos will yield you a better price in the resell anyway. Navy, dual vent, two button, Paul Stuart should get more than $40. If I didn't have 5 navy blazers already I would consider it.

Edit: are the hip pockets jetted, or did you not pull out the flaps?
    And, who made PS in Italy?

19. ridethecliche

Yeah, AFAIK it's up to the wearer whether it's a suit jacket or SC. Some things might look like 'orphans' but again it's a wearer thing. He saw everything. Next time, I'll take a picture of the full tag as I did in the other listings. I didn't do it here because I couldn't get it to show the super 150's tag at the same time.

I honestly really want to fight this because the guy is pulling the semantics card, but I know you guys are right. I never said anything about suits or pants in the listing. It shouldn't matter. I don't want the neg feedback though...

20. ridethecliche

PS is made in canada (Samuelsohn?) the fabric is made in Italy.

The question is, would you fight him on those grounds? Would you win in that case or would ebay side with him?

Short of getting a mannequin, how could I take better pictures? Maybe I should just swing for the damn mannequin since it'll help sell the little I do sell at a premium. I want to make this 'stuff' pay for the mannequin first, though I suppose it's 'faster' the other way around...

I need to buy another clamp light or two.